Author Topic: Fixing guttering to sheds  (Read 14350 times)

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
Fixing guttering to sheds
« on: March 01, 2007, 18:14:40 »
Hi Guys,

I had a go last week at connecting up my guttering.

I have all the right bits, but i am struggeling to get it far enough away from the shed to catch the drips from the roof which has a weird overhang thats a good foot from the wall?

How have other people done this??

I have tried layering wood to get the right level but i cant get any deeper as i dont have long enough screws?

help

Cambourne7

tim k

• Half Acre
Re: Fixing guttering to sheds
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2007, 18:35:19 »
hi cam you could cut some triangles out of 3/4 ply fix some batten to the back edge of the triangle to use as the fixing plate. trim off the point of the triangle so it is cut vertical and parallel to the shed and again fix some batten to this bit then attache the gutter brackets to this.

does that make sense ???

;D
atb

tim

greenscrump

• Acre
  • Rye, East Sussex
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2007, 18:50:20 »
Hi Cambourne

OH thought maybe you could use hanging basket brackets fixed to the shed - we have some a good foot long- and then attach the guttering using loops of fairly stiff wire, maybe coathangers ??

good luck ! :)

Leeds Lad

• Not So New ...
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2007, 20:00:37 »
Hi Cambourne

Any chance of a photo of the roof, I'm sure there are a few engineers out there that will come up with a solution.

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2007, 20:52:22 »
This could get complicated.  ??? ::) :-\ ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

jo9919

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2007, 20:54:06 »
It's already complicated for me Kev  ??? ??? ???

Jo.

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2007, 22:04:20 »
I have fixed mine by putting the guttering a little way off from the shed. I presume your roof has a little overhang?

1) Place 4 sections of rope around the guttering, ensure one piece is at each end. 2)The rope is then secured to the top of the roof on a baton. (Weight the rope to bricks if you dont want to add a baton). Adjust the length of rope depending how low you want the guttering to be from the roof. Dont have it too low or it will swing in the wind and not catch the water.
3) Ensure one end of the guttering is a touch lower than the other for the water to flow down the guttering into your drainpipe and into your water butt.

Voila - job done. Did mine last year. Have 6 butts full of water ;)
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

cambourne7

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2007, 14:51:57 »
phew what a lot of options!!

photo http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n61/cambourne7/P1010003-1.jpg

will take another one hopefully tonight :-)

cambourne7

• Hectare

cambourne7

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2007, 22:26:21 »
still looking for insperation !
help

glow777

• Hectare
  • up in the hills in Buxton
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2007, 07:37:49 »
Hi
looks like all you need is one peice of 3x1 the length of your shed and two (or three) 3x3 blocks

nail a block to each end of the shed with 6 inch nails,  picking a siutable place to stick the nail! (and maybe one in the middle) and nail the 3x1 across these. screw your guttering to the 3x1.

hope this makes sense. you may have to measure and change the size of the 3x3  to get the drop right. As it stands this will put the guttering 4 inches further out

Glow

cambourne7

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2007, 10:12:18 »
agreed thats what i was thinking i needed to do :-)

thanks for the help :-)

OliveOil

• Hectare
  • Lincs
    • Phoenix Traders Forum
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2007, 21:24:00 »
I finally got mine up today... been waiting for help from OH but just took the drill down and did it all myself... also put up tool hangers so the shed is all tidy now.

Good luck - hope you get it up soon!

Hot House

• Quarter Acre
  • Enjoying life
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2007, 21:06:52 »
Well as a joinner I would Not use wood it rots  ;D and nailing to the roof with a 6" nail sounds fun as the roof of a shed is not that strong and can be bouncy bouncy

Try going to ur local hardware store and buy  a handful of steel bracket right angle and flat( better if zinc plated or similar)
and handful of nuts a bolts ( small enough to fix gutter the steel bracket).

How to fix it

Hold up one steel bracket to under side of roof and see how much you need to bend it so when fixed to the under side  the leg hangs down plumbish ( depending on the width of bracket you may need 2 together)

Once brackets are bent at the correct angle/thats near enough fix gutter bracket to steel bracket  ( new holes may need drilling)

Now fix steel bracket to shed roof. if screwing don't go all the way as damp will penetrate and cause more worries.

now fix guttering into gutter bracket

and stop ends and a running outlet some down pipe and bobs our uncle and fanny's our aunt

somthing likes these but bigger so gutter bracket fits

Does this help

cambourne7

• Hectare
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2007, 13:17:19 »
hi hot house,

Thats ace, problem is that anything metal gets nicked from the allotments.

So not sure how long it would last.

Cambourne7 :o

Kea

• Hectare
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2007, 18:00:05 »
Thats very annoying isn't it. We've got the same problem on our allotments I had some old rusty bits of farm machinery that I'd dug up on my allotment holding carpet down on my manure heap and someone stole them. So the cheap metal arches i bought from wilkinson's to grow things up are still sitting in their boxes at home.

Melbourne12

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Harrow, Middx
    • Allotmenteering Blog
« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2007, 18:25:24 »
Why not adapt Hot House's design and use the metal brackets to hold a fascia board? The brackets will be concealed (and you could always use security screws if you wanted to, or use Philips or Pozidriv screws and drill the middle out when they're in position), and you'd need fewer brackets.  Then simply screw the gutter brackets to the fascia in the usual way.

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2007, 21:30:39 »
Told you it was going to get complicated. ??? ??? ???  :-\ :-\ :-\  :'( :'( :'(  ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

euronerd

• Acre
  • West Yorks
« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2007, 02:01:37 »
Is this any good to you cambourne? I haven't tried it but it looks as if it might work. I'm guessing your shed is about 6ft long, so two shelf brackets each side should be enough. If you use thinner section timber you would probably need more. And use screws rather than nails; a screwdriver won't shake the structure of your shed, and if it doesn't work you can take it down easily.

Geoff.

If that's not too clear, go to http://farm1.static.flickr.com/124/419495777_ebe5a6c155_o.jpg
« Last Edit: March 13, 2007, 02:05:55 by euronerd »
You can't please all of the people all of the time, but you can't upset them all at once either.

cambourne7

• Hectare
« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2007, 10:26:52 »
Hi

I just picked up something from freecycle which might work, there brackets for using in a garage and there are 2 sets of big brackets i was going to use to but the bike on the wall with but they might work and i might be able to use them to rope the shed down in high winds \:-)

If there not nicked

Thanks guys.

need to have a thing about this.

Cambourne7

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal