Author Topic: Is netting needed to protect seeds?  (Read 4217 times)

cocopops

• Acre
Is netting needed to protect seeds?
« on: February 28, 2007, 20:13:41 »
I am finally about to plant some of my seeds into my plot :D 

I have fed the birds over winter, and I am now worried that they may peck into my seed bed.  Today I looked at a photo given to me by the previous owners, and they have netting all around (not over) their then plot.  I assumed it was because they used to keep chickens.  I have found loads of netting in the shed so would it be worth covering the plot with this after planting, if so does it have to be raised?

Without the advice I have had this far I think I would probably given up, thanks for the help so far   ;D

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
Re: Is netting needed to protect seeds?
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2007, 20:17:11 »
watch out for your peas, beans and brassicas, birds, especially pigeons, love them..we always cover them with netting etc raised..it worked last year  ;D

OliveOil

• Hectare
  • Lincs
    • Phoenix Traders Forum
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2007, 20:54:20 »
If netting around the outside then maybe Rabbits are the problem! Also pheasants.

I have just netted over my brassicas as they have been nibbled by pidgeons and my peans are fleeced.

i would use the netting if you have it there.

hazelize_uk

• Half Acre
  • Northampton
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2007, 21:13:51 »
i have read about putting prickly branches like holly over peas etc to stop birds and mice taking them but as a newbie dont know if it works! i hate the green pea netting stuff as it was all over our plot with grass growing through it and has be an a**e to get rid of so dont wanna ever see it again at the moment!

we have found some guttering mesh that was only a pound for about 5m its 6" wide so would cover say peas its nice and strong and would just roll away afterwards so im going to try that

artichoke

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2007, 21:15:55 »
I am netting round every bed because of dogs and boys who run riot everywhere. I am trying to make it uncomfortable for them to riot on my patch. Also, of course, rabbits, badgers, foxes, pigeons....

I am frustrated by a broad bean patch near the hedge, where every time I visit, more broad bean shoots are snapped off at the base and left lying there in spite of netting round and over it.

Voles? Mice? What else?

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2007, 10:44:02 »

Is netting needed to protect seeds?

I rarely sow seeds directly into my plot I generally grow most of my stuff indoors and transplant them later on.

When I do sow insitu there are generally plenty other things to keep the birds in foodstuffs so I don't seem to have such a problem.

Having said that I often find domestic cats are the biggest problem i.e. they just love it when you till the ground for them, and if there are seeds planted there then they (seeds) get a bit out of line where the cats have scraped them out.

I only use nets after I have planted out my seedlings as I find birds are quite partial to these tender young plants.

tonyveggie

• Not So New ...
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2007, 14:47:56 »
Anyone got any pics of their netted veg?

I'm unsure how high you need to cover them by, how much support you need to stop a fat pigeon landing and flattening it!

Also, how long do you need to leave the netting on peas/beans/brassicas? Is it just while the seeds are getting started or for longer?

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2007, 15:12:41 »
This is how I net mine; http://tinyurl.com/y4slxq

Tin Shed

• Hectare
  • South Essex
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2007, 15:45:52 »
I net all brassicas and last  year had to net everything in the raised beds to stop the foxes digging everything up.

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2007, 17:55:02 »
yep i got loads on ebay before christmas in readyness for 2 weeks time when i can start planting stuff.

I have enough to cover all the beds just about :-)

I have plenty of wood to make the frames ( 1" thick 3-4" wide ) just need to work out the heights i need as some beds have low stuff like salads and some have high like leeks and Broccoli. So some might be 2ft high and some 3ft high

manicscousers

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2007, 19:04:39 »

one of our net cages   ;D

Marymary

• Hectare
  • Norwich
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2007, 19:38:33 »
Gosh that's some serious netting MS!  :)

Like TG I start most things off indoors & plant out seedlings, when I do plant seeds later in the year it's usually cats which disrupt them so I net against them.  I also net onion & shallot sets cos the birds seem to enjoy pulling them up.  When I cover a raised bed in netting I usually put a small cane at each corner & raise the net a foot or so above the level of the soil, keeping it taught.

manicscousers

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2007, 19:43:22 »
yes, the netting's from a builder..it's to stop rubble falling on people..it keeps everything out but slugs   ;D

Busby

• Half Acre
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2007, 19:56:52 »
The need for netting is something I have no experience of. Although our allotment place is near a wood and my patch is full of all kinds of berries and vegetables and fruits, I've never noticed any damage because of birds. (Fortunately the whole allotment area is fenced-off from the surroundings).

It does happen that I get a few cherries damaged but the tree is too big to net anyway.

I've always found this odd as most garden books talk about bird damage as if it's a real threat. And, by the way, I've had the same piece of ground for more than 30 years.

triffid

• Hectare
  • Escaped... usually to my plot in NW London :)
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2007, 20:01:52 »
I am frustrated by a broad bean patch near the hedge, where every time I visit, more broad bean shoots are snapped off at the base and left lying there in spite of netting round and over it.

Voles? Mice? What else?

Could it be slugs? The weather hasn't been very cold... The little horrors took out a hefty percentage of my early-sown sugarsnaps last year exactly that way. 

cocopops

• Acre
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2007, 20:19:53 »
When I posted this question I was only really worried about the small birds that I am feeding.  When I read the replies about pigeons I thought not a problem, I have never seen them in my garden :)  This morning I saw at least ten of them (at one time) at the top of my garden :(

My husband, who will scrounge anything, has started a new job with a constuction company.  They are throwing away loads of wood off-cuts, which he has been allowed to bring home.  His weekend will now be to build netting frames with his booty!

The netting I found is really thick, so I think that will have to go around the outside, and buy thinner stuff for the top.  I looked at a neighbours patch and she also has nets around the outside so there must be a problem i.e. rabbits etc. as mentioned.  We get on well, had 18 lovely eggs bought round today, but unfortunately she speaks more Breton than French so not holding out too much hope of asking her why.

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2007, 10:07:26 »
This is what I use - lasts for ever.

But anti- flea beetle & cabbage whites it's environmesh of course.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal