Author Topic: Keeping Records  (Read 1859 times)

KittyKatt

• Half Acre
Keeping Records
« on: February 28, 2007, 21:03:38 »
Being fairly new to allotments, I'm curious to find out what kind of records people keep? I already keep a garden diary, but want to extend this to the allotment. I've had a couple of attempts, but can't seem to get the balance right. I want to have records that I can refer to in future years - when I did things, what I sowed, planted etc, what worked and what didn't - but so far it's either too simplistic. or else becomes too complicated. I was thinking of using a loose leaf file so I can add pages where necessary. Can anyone else share what works for them regarding record keeping?

hazelize_uk

• Half Acre
  • Northampton
Re: Keeping Records
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2007, 21:08:32 »
well this is my first year but so far i have started an excel spreadsheet with layout and what is going where and then i was thinking of adding notes to that re what works and more important what doesnt! trying to get my head round companion planting to slot in with it too but i agree it can get VERY complicated think i may be thinking too much! me and OH are even dreaming about allotments now!!

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2007, 21:18:59 »
Have not kept a diary before. This is my first year of proper planning and preparation. My plot is divided into 4 areas for the 4 catagories of veg.  Arrows showing the next rotation cycle are on the diagram & each quadrant numbered 1-4.

Gonna laminate this then I only have to change the numbers to area 1 area 2 area 3 area4 each year. Crop rotation diagram should be enough for me I hope.
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

quizzical1

• Acre
  • Ceanothus in Northampton
    • My allotment and other garden related things
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2007, 21:26:35 »
I was going to keep a written record of what was sown, when, conditions for germination etc. etc. but probably would keep forgetting to fill it in.

Yesterday, I started a blog on the net, because I thought that I'm more likely to write about what Ive been up to, and its all archived, so I can refer back to it at any time.

I have however compiled a chart on excel which shows me when I'm supposed to be sowing, transplanting and harvesting produce.
Grow your own and enjoy the fruits of your labours,
Regards Alan.

http://achalmers-quizzical1.blogspot.com/

KittyKatt

• Half Acre
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2007, 21:33:38 »
Thank you for your suggestions. Definitely some food for thought. I like the idea of laminating. I'm off to bed now (I have a VERY early start tomorrow!) but will check in again tomorrow evening!
KK

ruffmeister

• Acre
    • Our Lottie blog site
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2007, 08:14:04 »
make and online blog like ours :-) then its there forever.

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2007, 10:24:58 »
This is how I keep mine;http://tinyurl.com/3ddpbf but unlike quizzical I use a data base (Access or similar) rather than a spread sheet.

This allows me to filter out information in many formats e.g. what I  did on such & such a day, or I can select one genus such as 'potato' and it will filter out what I have done with potatoes for the last twenty years.

And when you consider I have nearly 8000 entries(rows) with about 3-4 bits of information on each row these filters save a lot of scrolling.

As I think I have mentioned before my website  http://tinyurl.com/yn57zu is a compilation of these records.

quizzical1

• Acre
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2007, 11:43:24 »
This is how I keep mine;http://tinyurl.com/3ddpbf but unlike quizzical I use a data base (Access or similar) rather than a spread sheet.

This allows me to filter out information in many formats e.g. what I  did on such & such a day, or I can select one genus such as 'potato' and it will filter out what I have done with potatoes for the last twenty years.

And when you consider I have nearly 8000 entries(rows) with about 3-4 bits of information on each row these filters save a lot of scrolling.

As I think I have mentioned before my website  http://tinyurl.com/yn57zu is a compilation of these records.
TeeGee, i tried to set up a data base on Access last night,using a "wizard", but couldn't decide what fields to use. Any suggestions would be most helpful
Regards Alan.

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2007, 12:04:24 »
As said before - mine's just steam driven.

And the repeat feature has been removed!!

quizzical1

• Acre
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2007, 12:28:47 »
That looks just the kind of thing I'm looking for tim.

Just a couple of questions for clarity.

1. What is the narrow column next to the date column, just headed "O"?

2. Why 2 columns headed "treatment" please?
Regards Alan.

markfield rover

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2007, 12:44:29 »
I buy at the end of Jan when almost being given away a large desk diary
and just write up whats,what also incude cuttngs, pics, seed packets
advise from up plot  ...including  the one about planting pots on Good Friday
as the Devil is busy elsewhere! then use as a guide for next year. A bit free and easy
but suits ....

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2007, 12:59:36 »
Rover - same here for the last 45 years. But thought that I should get up with it!

Quizzy -
1.I was hoping that no one would ask!!
2. As explained - now removed.

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2007, 14:10:28 »
what fields to use. Any suggestions would be most helpful

To tell you the truth you can put on what you like, as you see Tim has his priotities and I guess others will have theirs.

Mines are here; http://tinyurl.com/3ddpbf

Let me explain why I chose those;

1) Its just enough items to go across a page of A4 and fit on my clip board.
To put more on I would have to save in 'landscape' format as opposed to portrait.

2) Genus; I think that is self explanotary

3) Variety; this too

4) Plants required; I see no point in growing more than I need because the 'extra' would take up much wanted space in the coldframe.

5) Sow; I get this information from my website and it ensures that I sow on the date suited to me not necessarily what is written on the packet.

6) Temp; This is so I can organise my propagator/hotbed/greenhouse. No point putting something on 'high' heat if 'lower temps' will do

7)Germ; I like to have a rough idea of germination times so that I can put seeds of a similar germination times in a sectioned of tray, again to save space.

8) P/out; Not absolutely essential because I prick out when plants are ready not when my timetable says so!

9) Plant out; Again not absolutely essential, I have a rough idea of when late frosts are passed so basically I plant out the 'hardiest' varieties first then by the time I get around to planting out less hardy plants another week has passed so they should be frost safe.

10) Centres;   Again not absolutely essential, my plot layout chart is generally sufficient

11)Location; Again not absolutely essential, but I sometimes find it handy if I am running out of space and I want to put something in 'shade' for example. If it couldn't stand shade I wouldn't do it.

12) Feed; Very handy I put the week number in here followed by either N, P or K so I know the type of feed needed.

13) Harvest; Again not absolutely essential, but it sometimes helps if I am trying something new and I want to know if I do something different the following year I can alter the harvest period.

And finally but not on this sheet each year when I am forming the following years programme I make mental adjustments to my sowing/planting dates based on the previous years results.

I hope this helps! but as I said the choice is yours it took me a few year of keeping records to see what was useful or not.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal