Author Topic: A question about planting/sowing?  (Read 1489 times)

timiano

• Half Acre
    • The 21st Century Good Life
A question about planting/sowing?
« on: February 28, 2007, 14:45:35 »
Hi all

Having now readied our plot of grass into lush fertile beds for planting  :), we're now ready to start getting things in there.

However, at the moment we don't have a greenhouse, shed or anything. We also have very limited space at home. So how do we go about sowing seeds? Is there anything we can plant directly into the soil to get started? Or, are there places that we can buy already germinated seeds for planting?

For instance, we want to plant some spuds, but from reading through our varios sources this would involve a process of chitting. But, the only space we have is in the cellar = no light, so its not going to work.

So what do you reckon we should get started on, or is there a place to buy ready to plant veg?

Thanks in advance, and apologies for the utter noobishness.

Tim

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
Re: A question about planting/sowing?
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2007, 14:53:20 »
A trial on Gardeners' World showed that main crop potatoes did not need chitting before planting.  If you think about it, farmers don't do it either.   If you want early potatoes you could chit some on a window sill for a week or two.   Unless you're in a really cold part of the country you can sow broad beans and peas from about mid March, also turnips, onions, Brussels sprouts etc.  That gives you a couple of weeks to cover the bare soil with black plastic to warm it up and dry it out a bit if it is wet.
Obxx - Vendée France

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2007, 14:56:42 »
Chit spuds under beds on top of wardrobes there must be somewhere if not then the cellar will have to do. Depending what your soil is like, mine is to wet at the moment but if it's not to wet you can get in some spuds, onions,peas, broad beans, shallots, lettuce or carrots but the ground has to be workable.   ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

timiano

• Half Acre
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2007, 15:03:59 »
Thanks for the quick replies

If I were to start chitting spuds, how much space are we talking about? We live in a small terraced house that is short on space, shared with 2 dogs and a cat too. I have an out house at the bottom of the garden, but again no space and probably too cold anyhow. The only space is the cellar which I may eventually be able to convert the coal hatch to glass so there is a little light down there.

Barnowl

• Hectare
  • getting back to my roots [SW London]
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2007, 15:05:12 »
Instead of growing from seed, my mother bought and planted some brassica and lettuce seedlings this year for the first time in her life.

She said it felt a bit like cheating and her Dad would have been appalled, but it worked so well she's going to do it again. :)

Marymary

• Hectare
  • Norwich
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2007, 15:16:58 »
The chitting potatoes only take up the space of the box they are in - they don't need to be spaced out or anything like they do when you plant them in the ground so they won't take up much space under the bed or on the wardrobe like CK says - unless you are growing tons & tons that is. 

Lots of places are doing veg plants which are quite good value - search on Google or try & find somewhere local to you.  even try asking some of the other lottie holders if they have any to spare which they may well have leater in the season.

timiano

• Half Acre
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2007, 15:28:24 »
Hi again

Very lively forum this, really pleased about it, as I thought the lottie scene would be internet shy ;D

Anyway, I have just found this http://www.rocketgardens.co.uk/about-us.asp through Google. This is the kind of thing that I am looking for, all be it maybe a little bit too full on, but its certainly the right idea.

I'll have a looksie for anything more local, but if anyone has any ideas for me in the mean time, that would be wonderful!

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2007, 15:38:08 »
Step 1 get rid of the dogs
Step 2 get rid of the cat
Step 3  No seriously chit the spuds in the out house they need a bit of light in the cold out of the frost, as Marymary says the only room they take up are the box, basket or tray they are in. The cellar sounds a great place to grow stuff if you can convert some light in there, check the other potato posts for more info.  ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2007, 15:59:35 »
See if you have some hanging room. If it were me I would put the spuds in some old stockings and hang them up at the window. You could even cut some holes in them to poke the chitting end of the spud through. Where theres a will theres a way. Your neighbours may think you've gone a bit bonkers but most allotment holders are anyway.
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2007, 17:05:57 »
kitchen garden magazine's got an article about bought in plants..ww.kitchengarden.co.uk  gives lots of firms who provide plants, all the favourites toms, brassicas, beans, worth a look  :)

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2007, 17:13:17 »
Most seed companies sell plantlets, from tomatos to lettuce, brassicas to chinese greens.  It might be a pricy way to get going, but even if you just select a choice few, it will be a good start.

All of your roots can be sown directly as the soil warms up - I will start a few tentative sowings mid March.  Carrots, parsnips, beetroot, spring onions, turnips, swedes, radish etc.  I also sow lettuce directly, and peas.

timiano

• Half Acre
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2007, 17:25:01 »
Great replies...bar getting rid of my beautiful puppies and puss cat  ;)

Magazine looks fantastic, do you know if they have it at Borders?

I know what you mean about it being an expensive start. I'm a very busy person, although my wife has a little more time, it'd be good to get started with some seedlings just to get our foot in, and then we can look at sowing properly ourselves next season. Those that can be sown direct will be, and that will probably be enough for us to get started.

I spotted that my local place Kenyon Hall farm does a small variety of veg plants and another online place called dobies.co.uk. I'll keep my eyes peeled (oh the irony), and will look out for that magazine in Borders tonight. By the way, the book we have been using as reference is the 21st Century Smallholder. We're starting a Blog on Blogger called the 21st Century Good Life, which hopefully will chart our trials and tribulations of eventually moving our life to start fresh in France with our own small holding...I'll post details of that when its up.

Thanks all again!

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2007, 17:36:58 »
Thanks for the Rocket Gardens link - very nice.

And expense? These days we always back up with bought-in plants.

OliveOil

• Hectare
  • Lincs
    • Phoenix Traders Forum
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2007, 19:57:23 »
Now if SS were here she would say... get yourself a plug planter from the Organic Catalogue

http://www.organiccatalog.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=55&products_id=2037

you get 49 modules, its completely washable (incl the dishwasher)... it has a lid so propogates... oh so many features. And it fits on a windowsill!

After a couple of disasters I have now found the sweetspot in my house... they like to be on a sunny windowsill!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal