Author Topic: Tent pegs and clear plastic  (Read 1007 times)

thomasb

• Half Acre
  • Allotment in Cowley, Oxford
Tent pegs and clear plastic
« on: February 25, 2007, 13:57:00 »
Hi All,
I am looking for suppliers (prefer online) for the following.
(a) Tent pegs that I could use to pin down weed-suppressing netting.
(b) Rolls of clear plastic sheeting that I could use to make cloches. I am looking for sheeting about 1m wide and length of say 10m.

Thanking you in advance for your assistance.
Regards,
Thomas

hazelize_uk

• Half Acre
  • Northampton
Re: Tent pegs and clear plastic
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2007, 14:31:36 »
im not sure of the quality but they have all sorts of sizes of polythene at http://www.polytheneone.com i've never used them myself but seen them recommended elsewhere.  For tent pegs i would probably buy lengths of metal rod from somewhere like wickes and cut and bend what i wanted.  Also we got some 5m cloches for 4.99 at wilkinsons that i didn't think was bad and at the time thought they couldn't really be made much cheaper as they include strong plastic rods, ties and pegs :)

artichoke

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2007, 16:36:00 »
I've used ground staples for pegging down netting; I've also bought a roll of thickish wire, cut it with wire cutters, and bent it into U shapes.

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2007, 17:03:53 »
And I've used those free wire coathangers you get your drycleaning on ;D

Leonnie

• Acre
    • A Country Garden
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2007, 21:27:21 »
I bought tent pegs off ebay, they were a good price and have proved invaluable at the allotment :)

jennym

• Hectare
  • Essex/Suffolk border
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2007, 23:02:46 »
Do make sure the polythene sheeting is UV stabilised. Spent hours and hours recently picking up tiny fragments of polythene that had broken up from a temporary coldframe built last year, and like an idiot I used the plastic sheeting sold in Wickes for use when decorating - it just isn't suitable, would have been ok if I'd taken it off before winter I suppose, but left it and the lot broke down very quickly over winter and what with the winds, it scattered over quite a large area on my plot.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal