Author Topic: Genetics  (Read 1561 times)

Tin Shed

• Hectare
  • South Essex
Genetics
« on: February 12, 2007, 14:12:25 »
Have just been doing my family history and as well as having a fair number of the usual agricultural labourers in the past I have come across several generations of seedsmen and nurserymen. So it is obvious that my desire to spend hours outside on the lottie ankle deep in mud and my vast number of seeds and seed catalogues is genetic and my husband and family will just have to accept it!! However I have yet to find out whether my desire to become the Imelda Marcos of coloured wellies is rooted[!] in the past!

okra

• Hectare
  • Grow your own its much safer
    • Cyprus Gardener
Re: Genetics
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2007, 15:18:03 »
Excellent digging into your past, I am sure most of us lottie dwellers are meeting a basic human desire supressed by non-lottie dwellers
Grow your own its much safer - http://www.cyprusgardener.co.uk
http://cyprusgardener.blogspot.co.uk
Author of Olives, Lemons and Grapes (ISBN-13: 978-3841771131)

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2007, 16:07:43 »
and the two do seem to go together.....
my dad was a frustrated hill farmer, he saved and sent back several hundred pounds during the 2nd WW, so that he could buy a farm... only to find his wife had spent it all, assuming logically, for PBI at D-Day and beyond he walked to the Rhine before getting invalided out, that he wasn't coming back to spend it! NEEDLESS TO SAY I AM THE PRODUCT OF A SECOND MARRIAGE!
 ;D

Blue Bird

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2007, 18:00:18 »
I have also done a family history on both OH and my own.  OH mothers family I managed to trace back to the 1700's and all worked on the land in Cambridgeshire - he has no interest in gardening / growing at all. 
My mothers side I have only managed to track back to the early 1800's all industrial workers in Sheffield and I love the garden so not sure of the genetics ???

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2007, 18:29:14 »
Many industrial workers kept allotments, that's why there were so many of them!
 ;D

Blue Bird

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2007, 19:29:53 »
Yes of course so why didn't I think of that.... ???

SMP1704

• Hectare
  • Isleworth, Middlesex
    • Allotment Life
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2007, 22:51:04 »
My OH's family were all ag lab's in the oxfordshire area.  His idea of garden/lottie heaven is sitting in a well tended garden eating the produce ::)

My Father's family came from Calcutta via Sweden and my Mum's from the East End via Norfolk, there were a lot of carpenters, silk weavers, grooms and assorted labourers but nothing to do with growing unless it was in the back yard.

Not sure about the genetics, unless it is linked with a desire to do something practical.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal