Author Topic: Wildlife Hedge- Blackthorn or Hawthorn?  (Read 1776 times)

Lance-allott

• Not So New ...
Wildlife Hedge- Blackthorn or Hawthorn?
« on: February 11, 2007, 22:28:43 »
Or a mix of both? I know I am cutting it short to put up a hedge-I want to have it in by next week. I live in South Devon. Any ideas?

Thanks again.

LA

Palustris

• Hectare
Re: Wildlife Hedge- Blackthorn or Hawthorn?
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2007, 08:47:46 »
Mixed hedging is alway better than a mono-culture. If you could add a few more native species,it would be even better. If you need a thorny hedge then a few holly plants would be good .
Only caveat I have is that cutting a thorny hedge of that nature is very very unpleasant!
Gardening is the great leveller.

Tin Shed

• Hectare
  • South Essex
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2007, 14:01:47 »
My plot is on the allotment boundary so to add to the brambles already there I have added a buddlia and some blackthorn plants . The great thing about blackthorn is that you will get sloes and that means sloe gin!

bombus

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2007, 19:58:02 »
Blackthorn is a food source of two of the Hairstreak Butterflies, and much loved as an early Pollen and Nectar supplier for my Honeybees.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2007, 09:53:52 »
The more native species you include the better. Buckingham Nurseries do a mix of native hedging plants that I'm thinking of using to fill some gaps. http://www.buckingham-nurseries.co.uk/acatalog/Index_Hedge_Collections_2.html#10798 . They also do native fruit which would be worth adding if the hedge can be allowed to get overgrown in places.

barkingdog

• Acre
  • Norfolk
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2007, 12:26:45 »
I've just bought some native hedging  ;D

I got hazel, sloe, dogwood, guelder rose, field maple, hawthorn and a spindle tree for good measure!

barkingdog

triffid

• Hectare
  • Escaped... usually to my plot in NW London :)
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2007, 22:45:12 »
Just for reference: the Woodland Trust sells a wonderful range of native trees, including hedging trees.
Here's the link: http://www.native-tree-shop.com/

Not only are the saplings good-quality (I bought hazel, dogwood and spindle) but it's also good to know that all the proceeds go back to support the Woodland Trust.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal