Author Topic: Pay as you go road tax petition  (Read 4062 times)

SMP1704

• Hectare
  • Isleworth, Middlesex
    • Allotment Life
Pay as you go road tax petition
« on: February 08, 2007, 17:20:21 »
I'm not usually one to pass around emails, but I thought this one was important......

For all those car owners....This is real!!!!

Sarah Kennedy was on about this proposed car tax scheme on the radio.

Apparently there is only one month left to register your objection to the 'Pay as you go' road tax.

The petition is on the 10 Downing St website but they didn't tell anybody about it. Therefore at the time of Sarah's comments only 250,000 people had signed it so far and 750,000 signatures are required to stop them introducing it.

This is legit... from the 10 Downing Street's website.

Once you've given your details (you don't have to give your full address, just house number and postcode will do), they will send you an email with a link in it. Once you click on that link, you'll have signed the petition. The government's proposal to introduce road pricing will mean you having to purchase a tracking device for your car and paying a monthly bill to use it. The tracking device will cost about £200 and in a recent study by the BBC, the lowest monthly bill was £28 for a rural florist and £194 for a delivery driver. A non working mother who used the car to take the kids to school paid £86 in one month.

On top of this massive increase in tax, you will be tracked. Somebody will know where you are at all times. They will also know how fast you have been going, so even if you accidentally creep over a speed limit in time you can probably expect a Notice of Intended Prosecution with your monthly bill. If you care about stopping the constant bashing of the car driver, please sign the petition on No 10's new website (link below) and pass this on to as many people as possible.

http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/traveltax/

ACE

• Hectare
Re: Pay as you go road tax petition
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2007, 17:48:21 »
Done and passed on.

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2007, 17:55:10 »
done

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2007, 18:00:39 »
Done   816 000 sigs so far.
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

bennettsleg

• Hectare
  • hertford, herts. 2 windowsills, no greenhouse
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2007, 18:30:18 »
Yup, been there, signed up, passed it on to family, colleagues and council representatives, had a very stern conversation with my local MP face to face etc.

It is a perfect way to introduce a two-tier society where the rich will still drive cars on open roads, companies will pass their costs (including salemen's fleet cars) on to us, things will get more expensive, small companies will go out of business and we all grow 3" due to the mud clinging to the bottom of our shoes. The oil companies will not be happy, nor the motor, steel, foam industries...but then they'll sell more to China as their economy and motor industry growth (& pollution...) is astonishing.

Yes, we have too many cars on the roads
Yes, there is an enviromental impact because of those vehicles
Yes, the public transport system will collapse once and for all
Yes, people will revolt. I predict another poll tax riot.

There are other ways to encourage less car use. Making a good public transport system is one way.  The downside of privatisation is that the money goes to shareholders and the big bosses instead of full scale reinvestment into refurbishment and upgrading.  The financial juggling where rolling stock is bought, sold then leased back again is further stupidity, despite the accountants saying that it makes this year's books look good is a bunch of hokum and not improving the situation.

The duel fuel cars are great but where do you fill up with fuel?

How many houses REALLY need two cars? They're taxing the 4x4's so how about taxing second cars heavily. Before I get blasted, let me just say that we have two cars.  One is a 4x4.  It's a very rare 4x4 because it actually gets covered in mud <gasp> when we pick up cheese/bread/sausages/etc  from the producers, some of which live down the bottom of farm tracks. The other car is a sports car. They are both over 10 years old, pretty wrothless if we tried to sell them and we wouldn't be able to afford a new, more efficient single car anyway.

I am a culprit because I drive to work and work is in a scabby end of East London and it is cheaper (by £15 per week), more reliable (every day bar snow like today) and faster (by at least 45 minutes) than public transport.

What incentive do I and others have to use a public transport system that - for my town - is over crowded, over charged, riddled with cancellations even while you're en-route, unreliable, time consuming and filthy.

John Prescott wants 100,000+ houses in Herts & Essex... Does the man not think of impact - vehicular (estimate 2 per household), water, sewerage, power, road clogging, greater pressure on the public transport system etc...?  There's a word that comes to mind that contains these letters WAKNER. It also applies to most politicians.

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2007, 18:37:29 »
sent it on to all we know  >:(

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2007, 19:11:38 »
We've been signing it from our Freecycle site. Thanks for posing it hee.

MrsKP

• Hectare
  • Sunny Glasgow
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2007, 19:45:27 »
second time i've tried to sign this, second time i've not got an email to respond to.

an email is on it's way to the hosts.

how many others haven't been able to sign ?

:-\

There's something happening every day  @ http://kaypeesplot.blogspot.com/ & http://kaypeeslottie.blogspot.com/

manicscousers

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2007, 19:47:07 »
just looked, there are over 850,000, does that mean it's not going to go ahead ? 

MrsKP

• Hectare
  • Sunny Glasgow
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2007, 19:50:12 »
the tax or the petition ?
There's something happening every day  @ http://kaypeesplot.blogspot.com/ & http://kaypeeslottie.blogspot.com/

manicscousers

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2007, 19:53:33 »
the tax, it said 750,000 signatures to stop it

MrsKP

• Hectare
  • Sunny Glasgow
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2007, 19:59:13 »
don't believe it for a second.  if they want to tax us, they will.

:-\

kitten

• Hectare
  • Lincolnshire
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2007, 21:26:22 »
I thought it said 750K for them to have to present it to the PM, rather than stop it outright?

I agree with most of what you say bennetsleg, if we had a decent public transport system (and by that I mean clean, reliable, and not extortionately expensive) that got people from and to where they need to go, on time, every day, then more people would use it.  The reason people don't use it (or can't use it) is because it's unreliable and expensive.  E.g. my train to work was cancelled this morning and we hadn't had any snow at all - if I didn't have a car, I guarantee i'd be late at least once a week using this service.  Here endeth my moan ;D

Anyhow, i've signed it, thanks for posting it SMP.
Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened

rosebud

• Hectare
    • allotments4all
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2007, 22:26:55 »
No e mail here either!!!!!.

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2007, 23:05:43 »
Do check your junk/spam mail folder as mine went their as it came from an unknown sender.

MrsKP

• Hectare
  • Sunny Glasgow
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2007, 06:33:39 »
nope, still nothing, not in the spam folder nor anywhere else.

i have highlighted the problem to the help team, let's see if i get a response before the deadline.  call me cynical if you like but anything with No. 10 on it has got to be suspect.

(for the record, i have signed quite a few petitions using that site and this is the first time it's failed).

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2007, 09:21:43 »
signed and passed on (got email ok)

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2007, 11:28:02 »
Signed mine.
But it makes you think when 2/3 of a million people have to object to get a change of direction. That leaves something like 25 million that I suppose these people are claiming to have on their side.
Shouldn't it be that those 25 million be the ones to support this rather than the other way round.
I thought we were still democratic...What a laugh!

Rose.mary

• Acre
« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2007, 12:06:55 »
I have just signed. No problems, just went straight through.
Although I only travel between 5000 to 8000 per year,and have a very small car, I object strongly to the extra taxes this government extracts from us by stealth. I find it quite obscene.

Rosemary

froglets

• Hectare
  • "Chust sublime"
« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2007, 12:08:01 »
Ok, setting myself up for some flame mail here, but I agree with the tax.

I am a high mileage driver ( approx 2500 per month) which I mostly fund, so I would get crucified.

Like many people I do a lot of miles for work ( not all of the 2500 are that), but company cars are pretty much a thing of the past & there's little if no chance my company will increase the travel allowance ( travel, not car!) the offer to avoid supplying cars, so this mostly falls back on the individuals.

If the money gets used to fund the investment needed in road infrastructure and reliable useful public transport I'd see it as a long term positive for me.  I pollute more than most.  I should contribute to alleviating it and making it easier to do it less.

Got my tin hat on and about to get in the car & drive 250 miles for my regular weekend in Scotland to check on my elderly mother.
is it in the sale?
(South Cheshire)

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal