Author Topic: Juicing Help  (Read 1226 times)

KeithR

• Not So New ...
Juicing Help
« on: February 05, 2007, 11:58:59 »

I have just bought a super dooper juicer as it was less than half price in my local Sainsbury's with the view to juicing stuff from the allotment as well as any other fruit that I can get my hands on. I have to say that I find it fantastic and have produced some incredible concoctions. I would not have tought that apple, carrot and ginger would taste so good first thing in the morning. However I do have a bit of a technical problem.

The juicer has two speeds. Fast and turbo charged but no where in the instructions does it tell me which speed to use for which fruit/veg. Being a chap logic dictates that the faster the speed the more juice I should get out but I don't know if that's right. Any help would be gratefully received.

Also any juicing recipes that have been tried and tested might be a nice thread.

KeithR

jennym

• Hectare
  • Essex/Suffolk border
Re: Juicing Help
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2007, 14:21:11 »
KeithR, my juicer instructions say that softer fruits & veg should be juiced at low speed, harder ones at high speed. Mine has a 950w motor. In practice, use it an awful lot for tomatoes. Have found that the tomato pulp is not dry after juice extraction, so what I do is empty all the sloppy pulp into a clean bowl, then run it through the juicer again. Much more juice is extracted this way, and to be honest have done it about 4 times to get really dry pulp and the most tomato juice.

I did do an experiment to see if I could make good jelly using crab apples and the juicer. The pulp was like sawdust after juicing, and I thought - great, this is going to be easy-peasy. But after boiling the juice, found it had very little pectin in it (the pectin definitely stays in the pulp) so ended up putting the pulp in the pan and sieving it out after boiling! The best thing I found was the ease of making tomato juice, and then putting the juice in a pan and boiling it down to make puree - this saved so much time on preparation, even including cleaning out the juicer afterwards. I would say that I did about 10kg of tomatoes at a go, to save on the juicer washing down time.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal