Author Topic: Why are hens not laying  (Read 9647 times)

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
Why are hens not laying
« on: February 03, 2007, 13:46:45 »
My hens are cross-banties and were born June last year. I am only getting 1 egg every other day from one of 8 hens. I know they slow or go off laying in cold weather but I thought I would get a few more eggs than I am getting. At 8 months old is this right or me being impatient?
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
Re: Why are hens not laying
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2007, 17:31:27 »
Not had anything to do with your type of hens but at 8months they should be well away regardless.

I take it the feed is OK and you supply crushed grit?
Hen keepers have their own idea of the best feed for layers but mine was always warm water mash and corn for stubborn beggers.
If they're running free, check they're not laying away.

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2007, 17:44:30 »
They are in a cree in my allotment with netting over the chicken run, so they are contained. I mix the feed with a combination of 20% maize & corn, 10% grit, and 70% layers pellets. They also get 2-3 slices of bread daily, broken down. Today I gave away 2 more cockerels. Excluding baby-chicks & 2 cockerels, I am left with 8 young hens for laying.

slyfox-mal

• Acre
    • my diary
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2007, 18:18:50 »
bantie are notorious for going broody some of my silkies lay a clutch of eggs  maybe 8 or so and start to sit and bang goes your eggs as soon as she sits she stops laying  just a thought
The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are,
the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae.

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2007, 18:56:52 »
bantie are notorious for going broody some of my silkies lay a clutch of eggs  maybe 8 or so and start to sit and bang goes your eggs as soon as she sits she stops laying  just a thought

The only thing they sit on at the moment are their backsides. ;D

Trixiebelle

• Hectare
  • You looking at me? Huh?
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2007, 19:03:12 »
I feel quite sorry for my chickens (only got 3)

It must be cold for their bums in winter. I had an idea to knit them thermal chicken-knickers to keep their egg-holes nice and warm but I couldn't find a pattern.
The Devil Invented Dandelions!

slyfox-mal

• Acre
    • my diary
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2007, 19:05:41 »
they dont need anything to sit on to go broody ive heard  of  hens dieing on the nest with nothing under them
The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are,
the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae.

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2007, 19:10:49 »
Just got more banties 2 weeks ago - another mother with 11 chicks. When the time comes again would I be better off considering another breed. We primarily want them for eggs. Dont have any intentions of getting more for 2 years or so, till the others stop laying (if they ever start).

slyfox-mal

• Acre
    • my diary
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2007, 19:17:41 »
maybe if your wanting larger volumes of eggs concider getting hybrid hens or light sussex or maybe marans
 marans are really nice hens to keep very docile and good for eggs and go broody to plus the cockrels are quite good table birds as they are a dual purpose bird

RSJK

• Hectare
  • its great to be on the allotment
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2007, 20:54:10 »
Kt are they broody  if so put them in the cold for a few days and they should get back to laying for you again
Richard       If it's not worth having I will have it

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2007, 21:03:00 »
Kt are they broody  if so put them in the cold for a few days and they should get back to laying for you again

They are in a wooden cree at night, and the door is open for them to roam in the open chicken run within the allotment throughout the day. Last weekend I closed all entrances to the shed and left them outside for the day with no means of entry.

Marymary

• Hectare
  • Norwich
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2007, 21:36:37 »
I have got 4 hybrids who are laying an egg each most days & 5 bantams which lay one or 2 eggs a week between them, I agree with Mal if it's eggs you want you are much better off with hybrids or one of the other large breeds.

Marymary

• Hectare
  • Norwich
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2007, 21:37:38 »
PS another thought - a couple of rehomed battery hens could be just what you are looking for.  :)

OliveOil

• Hectare
  • Lincs
    • Phoenix Traders Forum
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2007, 22:07:52 »
Gotta say if you want eggs go for hybrids esp Black Rocks and Speckledy's.

Otherwise the more frequent layer of the purebreds i have is the maran. The Light sussex is hardly laying at all (1 egg in the last 2 weeks) the orpington not laying, cochin - one egg every week if lucky.  My speckledy has laid every day virtually since i got her at easter and the other top layer i have is a bantam orpington from top breeder and she has just come into lay - one a day for past 2 weeks and she is also copying my silkie who is sat on eggs at the mo... she keeps going in and sleeping with broody, trying to pinch her eggs LOL

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2007, 22:32:23 »
I will see what happens between now & easter / May time. If things dont pick up much then it will be lots of chicken salad in the summer as I change the flock ;D

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2007, 23:33:21 »
Got 3 eggs on 2 days last week. Though 2 of the 3 are from the same hen. They are in the same nest together and half the size of the one that has been laying regular. Hopefully things are on the up. Will update again in a couple of weeks

Henny Penny

• Not So New ...
« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2007, 11:26:12 »
When I first had chickens I thought that their feet would be too cold  :-[

Marymary

• Hectare
  • Norwich
« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2007, 22:11:43 »
Well I hope you knotted them some socks then.  :)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal