Author Topic: mystery roots  (Read 13851 times)

norfolklass

• Hectare
  • Norwich - a fine city
mystery roots
« on: January 30, 2007, 15:08:16 »
I haven't actually seen any of this with a growing above ground bit attached, but some areas of my plot are riddled with these roots. they vary from just under the surface to a good spit down, but I've got no idea what they are or whether they're good or bad. does anyone recognise them? they snap very easily and are very slightly yellowy coloured. obviously, I'm hoping it's not something too nasty!

urbandruid

• Not So New ...
  • It's all about the light...
Re: mystery roots
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2007, 15:11:03 »
I'm no expert, but they look like the fine tree roots that infest one of my beds.  Harmless but annoying.  Is there a tree (especially a sycamore) growing nearby?

Steve.
Peruse my allotment diaries here!

norfolklass

• Hectare
  • Norwich - a fine city
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2007, 15:39:27 »
no, no trees nearby. and I can't figure out what they're attached to: when I pull them out of the soil they either snap or come out whole but they're quite soft (the really fine roots you can see in the pic aren't part of the mystery roots).
they're not quite as wide as a pencil, about just over half the width, and a little bit knobbly, makes me think of unravelled knitting. the worst patch I've found so far is in an area that used to have a great big pile of sheep muck and leaf mould on it.

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2007, 15:41:05 »
Ivy?

dandelion

• Hectare
    • An Vrombaut
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2007, 15:41:42 »
Looks suspiciously like bindweed  :(. Is that a heart shaped leaf on the top left?

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2007, 15:43:15 »
I agree, looks like bindweed to me ...vile >:( stuff, will regrow from the tiniest bit of root.....
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

norfolklass

• Hectare
  • Norwich - a fine city
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2007, 15:48:54 »
do ivy and bindweed roots get that big then?!? eek!

Kea

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2007, 15:58:09 »
Looks like bind weed to me too! I find they are quite brittle and break very easily but that will be why it's so hard to get rid of.

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2007, 16:08:19 »
Can't say I have seen bind weed, it looks like well established couch grass to me.

dandelion

• Hectare
    • An Vrombaut
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2007, 16:12:46 »
I have experience with both  :(. Initially I mistook  bindweed for couch.
A good spit  down definitely sounds more like bindweed! Bindweed grows deeper than couch, it snaps  more easily and it's thicker (up to 5 mm).

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2007, 16:17:08 »
I have experience with both  :(. Initially I mistook  bindweed for couch.
A good spit  down definitely sounds more like bindweed! Bindweed grows deeper than couch, it snaps  more easily and it's thicker (up to 5 mm).

They are both the spawn of the devil..........I've just spent the last 3 hours digging some up grrrrrrrrrr :( >:( >:(
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2007, 16:20:28 »
Welcome to the bindweed haters' club!Plenty of advice on here about ways of getting rid of it- up to a point!

norfolklass

• Hectare
  • Norwich - a fine city
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2007, 16:21:04 »
not sure what the leaf in the pic is, but I don't remember seeing any bindweed leaves yet (or is it just too early?!?)
a lot of the roots are at least 5mm thick, if not more, so whatever it is it's healthy :o
will try and take a better photo this weekend.

dandelion

• Hectare
    • An Vrombaut
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2007, 16:22:28 »
not sure what the leaf in the pic is, but I don't remember seeing any bindweed leaves yet (or is it just too early?!?)
a lot of the roots are at least 5mm thick, if not more, so whatever it is it's healthy :o
will try and take a better photo this weekend.

Yes a bit too early for new growth, but the first growth of the season will be tiny heart shaped leaves.

Rose.mary

• Acre
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2007, 16:39:09 »
Couch Grass has a sort of stripy root, and a bit thinner than bindweed. One thing is sure you won't have long to wait before know.

Rosemary

kitten

• Hectare
  • Lincolnshire
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2007, 16:48:11 »
Hi norfolklass, i think we have this on our new plot too  :o but at least you're not alone!  We noticed something suspiciously looking like it while up there last weekend pegging out the beds & paths.  Good luck with your digging! x
Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2007, 17:13:13 »
looks like bind weed to me as well ..please don't panic, if you keep on pulling it, it can't grow as quickly as you can get it out, it's if you leave it alone, it gets out of control..also, as the soil gets softer it's easier to get out  ;D

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2007, 17:45:01 »
Hedge or Field (?) both a nuisance but field is much smaller plant and prettier pink and white flowers... If they weren't so tough we would be falling over ouselves to grow it like its relative "Morning Glory",
But then that's what the Victorians thought about Japanese Knotweed!
 ;D

Palustris

• Hectare
« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2007, 18:12:37 »
Look like bindweed to me too. The one with big white flowers is actually Calystegia sylvatica and Field bindweed (small and pink) is Convolvulus arvensis. Both are s.....s to get rid of.
Gardening is the great leveller.

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2007, 20:14:21 »
Can't say I have seen bind weed, it looks like well established couch grass to me.

After what I dug out of my plot 3 years ago, I agree with Tee Gee. Some I had 'killed' with roundup the year before and I reckon that is what I came across later. Size is difficlt to assertain on a pic but my first/best guess is couch.

One thing. Have you grown anything in that area over the years?
« Last Edit: January 30, 2007, 20:15:55 by kenkew »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal