Author Topic: mystery roots  (Read 13852 times)

sally_cinnamon

• Acre
  • "A posse ad esse" - From possibility to actuality
    • Got a new website - still not finished!!
Re: mystery roots
« Reply #80 on: March 30, 2007, 13:53:50 »
Does anyone think that the middle one could be last years parsnip. I have tops similar to that on my lottie. When I dug them up, they had badly eaten parsnips underneath. Saying that, they were whiter roots than those. What would schonozera(?) look like ? They have dark roots.

Feel free to ignore all my suggestions, as I'm probably completely wrong ???

cj :)

When I first saw the top of one poking through I thought it was parsnip cos there was just a bit of green then thr round white top above the soil, but when I dug it up and sniffed it, it was way stronger than parnsip and much more like horseradish, which I then decided that's what it was until one of my neighbours came over and cast his discerning eye over it and said definately NOT to have it with my roast beef!  I don't think it's a left over crop because it's randomly dotted over the place, and the only thing to be planted in the last few years has been some spuds.
Thank you to all who donated to the Moonlight Half Marathon Walk in aid of St Catherine's Hospice - my mum and I raised just over £300!!!    ............     Thanks!  :-)

mc55

• Hectare
  • Bernard at the cinema ! (Sheffield, S Yorks)
« Reply #81 on: April 02, 2007, 19:27:07 »
finally got a photo (hope it's not too big).  Majority of the roots are bindweed, but I've placed a thistle (middle  of picture) for comparison - they are very similar

norfolklass

• Hectare
  • Norwich - a fine city
« Reply #82 on: April 03, 2007, 10:04:14 »
they look almost identical!
mine have all turned out to be thistles so far, and no sign of bindweed... yet.
planted my 1st earlies on Sunday and filled a bucket half full of nice new baby green thistles just starting to regrow from all the bits of root I missed when I double-dug the bed ::)
I had no idea they were such a pest, and thought that if you got rid of the plant and the tap root that was it. apparently not >:(

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #83 on: April 03, 2007, 15:57:29 »
you could always make some nettle soup with the new growth  ;D

sally_cinnamon

• Acre
  • "A posse ad esse" - From possibility to actuality
    • Got a new website - still not finished!!
« Reply #84 on: April 03, 2007, 16:12:53 »
finally got a photo (hope it's not too big).  Majority of the roots are bindweed, but I've placed a thistle (middle  of picture) for comparison - they are very similar

They are similar aren't they?  I actually think that most of mine is thistle as now that they are growing I can see what they look like out of the ground!  Anyone got a pic of what bindweed looks like when it sprouts?

:)
Thank you to all who donated to the Moonlight Half Marathon Walk in aid of St Catherine's Hospice - my mum and I raised just over £300!!!    ............     Thanks!  :-)

cloudymoon

« Reply #85 on: April 10, 2007, 19:32:33 »
bindweed will not have so much surface root as each root buries itself deeply to survive and is the reason for its survival. I believe you have ground elder which does have very dense roots 3 to 4 inches below ground. Good news is with a fork it is easy to get rid off. Bad news is if your neighbour has ground elder it will come back and be a nuisance again

Barnowl

• Hectare
  • getting back to my roots [SW London]
« Reply #86 on: April 11, 2007, 09:33:40 »
I've just been clearing some runaway mint roots that look very similar to those in the photo.

mc55

• Hectare
  • Bernard at the cinema ! (Sheffield, S Yorks)
« Reply #87 on: April 24, 2007, 00:25:45 »
for those who requested a photo of young bindweed: 

luckyme

• Not So New ...
  • Any ideas welcome!
« Reply #88 on: April 28, 2007, 21:45:49 »
bindweed without doubt... mine's flowering nively in the hedge at the end of my plot :P
Allotment, a mess?! no this is "feature grass"

Ilford Avenue Allotments, Wallasey

Barnowl

• Hectare
  • getting back to my roots [SW London]
« Reply #89 on: May 12, 2007, 00:45:58 »
Bindweed: tiny liitle leaves on the surface but I had to dig  down 2 feet for the last one tackled.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal