Author Topic: Windows Vista  (Read 10406 times)

glow777

• Hectare
  • up in the hills in Buxton
Re: Windows Vista
« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2007, 15:16:21 »
if the DK stuff installs but fails to run then run them in win 98 compatability mode (may even work better in win 95 mode) heres what to try.

Find the exe file that starts the program - if you have a shortcut right click properties and it will tell you the location. (sometimes you can just apply the following to the shortcut and the exe inherits the behaviour but it is best to directly modify the exe file).

right click the exe and select properties, select the compatability tab
tick the box that says run this prgram in compatability mode for
select the os from the DDList

save ok
run the exe

full MS bumph is here  http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/helpandsupport/learnmore/appcompat.mspx

HTH Glow

Jill

• Hectare
  • S E London
« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2007, 19:04:45 »
Thanks Glow, but still can't get them to work.  Get the message: "the sound decompression software has not been installed properly.  Please run Setup and try again.  This program will now terminate."  Doesn't matter which DK program or how many times I run Setup, I still get the same message, even in Win 95 mode :(

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2007, 19:50:12 »
there's open office what is free... there's linux what is also free .... and they are much less susceptible to viruses etc. There's macs which rrrrrooooocccckkkkk!!! ;D

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #23 on: February 09, 2007, 11:12:59 »
I still use Office 2000, find it perfectly acceptble for what I use it for and have seen no reason to upgrade (by buying the whole program again!). It works fine with XP. Another reason to stick with XP i think.

I too have a number of good programs bought when we had a Win98 machine , that since moving to an XP machine have stopped working and are currently gathering dust. They wont work even in '95/98' mode. The stupid thing is they would probably work better on a higher spec machine if only XP would allow it.

I guess for those situations its not worth partitioning the drive and installing windows 98 is it?

telboy

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #24 on: February 09, 2007, 22:43:48 »
GC,
I don't understand your problem?
Obtain a decent hardrive, partition it, put the system of your choice on one & your files on 'tother. Better to have a 'back up drive' for your files.
Am I fick or summat?
Eskimo Nel was a great Inuit.

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #25 on: February 10, 2007, 17:15:04 »
GC,
I don't understand your problem?
Obtain a decent hardrive, partition it, put the system of your choice on one & your files on 'tother. Better to have a 'back up drive' for your files.
Am I fick or summat?

Sorry! Maybe i didnt make myself clear enough. I was wondering if it was worth doing thats all so i could run the programs.

Ok so it is. Thanks

Hot House

• Quarter Acre
  • Enjoying life
« Reply #26 on: February 17, 2007, 22:22:46 »
Here we ago again. A new wonderfull operating system from Microsoft.

What a RIP OFF! £99 just to upgrade to the most basic version, which lacks most of the new features Vista is supposed to porovide and to me looks not much better than an updated XP.

I have just checked if my system is compatible. It is (should be it was sold as 'Vista ready), however several of my programs wont work with it, including Norton Internet Security 2006! Kind of an important bit of software i am sure you'd agree.

No sorry Microsoft, i will NOT be upgrading to your fancy new baby, and wil be sticking to XP. I just wonder how long they will continue to offer support and updates for XP now its no longer the latest model.

To me all these new upgraded programs are just a way of getting money out of us. I see no other benefit

go look on Ebuyer, I paid £67.52 for my copy of Home Premium OEM. but if ur runing XP Pro as I was it will do  a clean install so anything u have on the boot partition will be lost. Back up any doc's, Pic's etc. or even better put them on another hard drive. and as for norton why pay 4 what u can get free, I've used AVG Free 4 over 10yrs now and no worries also I find the built in firewall walll much better then what coms with XP. Mines a home made pc of about 6-7 yrs and all works great.

Larkshall

• Hectare
  • Near Cambourne (Cambs.)
    • Ellis Rowell's Website
« Reply #27 on: February 23, 2007, 23:38:17 »
I've ditched MS Windows XP and am now using Ubuntu Linux v6.10 on my desktop and v6.06 on my Laptop. I use V6.06 on the Laptop because v6.10 refuses to install on it, although I tried many times. Funny, my Epson Stylus C680 printer works better under Linux than it ever did under Windows.
Organiser, Mid Anglia Computer Users (Est. 1988)
Member of the Cambridge Cyclists Touring Club

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #28 on: February 24, 2007, 18:35:01 »
Just goes to show microsoft windows might be the biggest OS but it aint nessesarily the best!

glow777

• Hectare
  • up in the hills in Buxton
« Reply #29 on: February 24, 2007, 18:53:08 »
often  the case that the defacto standard isnt the best - anyone remember betamax videos - they rocked!

timiano

• Half Acre
    • The 21st Century Good Life
« Reply #30 on: February 28, 2007, 16:32:12 »
Hi

I've been beta'ing Vista since the very early days, when it really was a beta product and horrible. Yes its an early product, and yes there will be incompatibilities or teething problems as there are with every single new OS. Bugs, security issues and system vulnerabilities are not exclusive to M$. If its the whole monopoly thing you don't agree with, then fine. I personally just want good products that are good enough and flexble enough to let me do what I want....which brings me to Vista.

Vista by and large is a fantastic operating system. Calling it a tarted up XP is fundamentally wrong, but I can understand, because its subtle, although no less brilliant. It is absolutely jam packed full of features and technical under-pinnings that blow XP and all of its earlier versions out of the water. OSX has been a great OS for some time also, and I still prefer some features of that compared to Vista, but only a few.

Vista is advanced, but if you're not a power user then maybe you won't quite get it, which is fine. Stick with XP if it does the job and you are comfortable with it, but you can't knock what you don't neccessarily understand. The only compelling reason to not get Vista with a new system, is if you have an application that isn't compatible. Which again, is not M$ fault that private betas have been available for nearly 2 years and they haven't done anything about it.

Honestly, it is the biggest, and it is the best! Its Apple's move next.

Larkshall

• Hectare
    • Ellis Rowell's Website
« Reply #31 on: March 02, 2007, 14:49:45 »
But like many others, I don't want the bloated all bells and whistles OS. My webmaster, photographic and communications requirements could easily be handled on a computer of five years ago running a GNU/Linux OS.

Edit: I see that Dell have jumped in with an advert, I would not recommend Dell as they tend to limit their installation to run certain software. I have run a user group for 18+ years and never seen a Dell at our meetings.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2007, 14:54:09 by Larkshall »

timiano

• Half Acre
    • The 21st Century Good Life
« Reply #32 on: March 03, 2007, 09:10:49 »
But like many others, I don't want the bloated all bells and whistles OS. My webmaster, photographic and communications requirements could easily be handled on a computer of five years ago running a GNU/Linux OS.

Which is fair enough, but the majority of users are embracing the digital age and M$ and Apple have responded with rich OSs with as many features in there as possible. MP3 players, digital cameras, video, Internet, mobility, multimedia libraries etc etc. Yeh sure, you can do the same on open source OS and software, but that's not what its about. Give my dad Linux and he'd have a nosebleed, thats before even getting it on the maching.

I don't get the bloated all bells and whistles argument, if you don't want to use the bells and whistles, you don't use them. There's no real bloat in terms of current hardware, and even over the past 5 years for that matter. I've had XP breathe new leases of life into older PCs with low amounts of RAM. In terms of productivity, Vista is breathtaking, trumping even OSX.

Edit: I see that Dell have jumped in with an advert, I would not recommend Dell as they tend to limit their installation to run certain software. I have run a user group for 18+ years and never seen a Dell at our meetings.

Limit their OS config so that it can't run certain software?! I've never seen anything of the like. The only time that exists is when a user has a corporate build that is supplied by his/her company which has system policies configured to lock the machine down. This could be applied to any brand of computer however.

But, as I said, each to thier own. I just can't sit back and watch folk argue old wives tales and things that aren't right or make no sense. When it comes to OS's, macs vs PCs, Canon Vs Nikon and loads of other tech subjects there's lots of it about.

Larkshall

• Hectare
    • Ellis Rowell's Website
« Reply #33 on: March 09, 2007, 08:33:06 »
Touche,

I understand that the BIOS is not as free as the normal makes. On the computer BB's  we often see comments about difficulties with installing certain things on Dells, As I said, I have never seen a Dell at our meetings or know of anyone using a Dell. One of our members lives in "Dells Lane", he has a dealer built PC. I think the name existed long before the computer company.

Even on here we have comments:-
http://www.allotments4all.co.uk/joomla/component/option,com_smf/Itemid,91/topic,28337.0
« Last Edit: March 09, 2007, 08:46:12 by Larkshall »

telboy

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #34 on: March 09, 2007, 22:12:45 »
timiano,
interesting thread. I still ask - why vista at this early time?
If you play kiddywink games, I can understand your requirements.
As most computer users only use 80% of their machine capacity anyway, why the need to uprate with the inevitable need to upgrade their hardware to accommodate the software?
Driven by the profit motive? At your expense?
Eskimo Nel was a great Inuit.

Multiveg

• Hectare
  • Oops, been gone a while, but still allotmenting.
    • Forum
« Reply #35 on: April 03, 2007, 17:22:33 »
Got shiny new pc - with vista - aaaaaaaaaaaaaargh.
Ok, Open Office works with it. Apparently, even office 95 works on vista. Outlook though may not - you can't import outlook files (.pst) to windows mail (upgrade from outlook express) - but you can import outlook messages to outlook express then import those into windows mail - not direct!
I needed the newest version of my antivirus program to run on Vista - suspect that is the same with Norton.
Notice that Messenger needs to be run in admin mode or it crashes.
Allotment Blog - http://multiveg.wordpress.com/
Musings of a letter writer, stamp user and occasional Postcrosser - http://correspondencefan.blogspot.co.uk/

Multiveg

• Hectare
  • Oops, been gone a while, but still allotmenting.
    • Forum
« Reply #36 on: April 03, 2007, 17:24:43 »
Oh, and as for backing up files on another computer with file sharing enabled - I need permission to copy these, aaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrghhh.

Vista seems just incredibly slow.
Allotment Blog - http://multiveg.wordpress.com/
Musings of a letter writer, stamp user and occasional Postcrosser - http://correspondencefan.blogspot.co.uk/

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #37 on: April 05, 2007, 09:22:22 »
Oh, and as for backing up files on another computer with file sharing enabled - I need permission to copy these, aaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrghhh.

Vista seems just incredibly slow.

Just as i suspected its been 'overdone'. In other words been over written and its thus too big for its own good.

steveuk

• Half Acre
  • Good map point is on my patch
    • My Allotment Patch
« Reply #38 on: April 06, 2007, 17:31:06 »
must be me, i loaded vista home premium, and i have had no problems, maybe time will tell,
If i knew were to start i would LoL
http://mypatch-steve.blogspot.com/

Larkshall

• Hectare
    • Ellis Rowell's Website
« Reply #39 on: April 13, 2007, 10:07:54 »
I have just got fed up with the Microsoft "updates" which often mean that your existing software need to be replaced. I wonder how many photographers will be upset that their Adobe Photoshop software may not work with Vista and they have to buy a new "Vista" version.

I have now gone the opposite way, thrown out Windows and moved to Linux (Free) with free downloadable software for many applications. It doesn't object to reasonably modern machines either, I just installed a 250GB HDD on my existing machine. After juggling around with it for a time, I realise that the best way to set it up is with an 80GB HDD fitted in the machine and connect the 250 GB HDD as a USB drive (for saving pictures and data to). The advantage with this is that the USB drive can be used with my laptop as well.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal