Author Topic: how do I back up Outlook Express files  (Read 2409 times)

ipt8

• Hectare
how do I back up Outlook Express files
« on: May 10, 2007, 20:44:31 »
I want to give my PC a sort out as it tells me it may have a bug in Internet Explorer.
I have tried in the past to back up Outlook Express files/messages, found out how to do it, but then discovered I could not open or re-instate the files/messages.
Any advise please?
There are lots of files/messages so it is not practical to make a hard copy of them all.
Thank you in anticipation.
Ivor

Barnowl

• Hectare
  • getting back to my roots [SW London]
Re: how do I back up Outlook Express files
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2007, 00:08:13 »
Pretty sure Express stores your data in a .pst file, but not sure where. Try searching your C drive for *.pst. Once found, copy the file to the backup location (making sure you are not using Express at the time).

When prog reinstalled something like : File-> Open-> Personal Folder, then browse to the backup. Once open copy into your new mailbox

Use Exchange not Express, but think the above is correct. Someone more knowledgeable shouldn't be able to resist correcting me if not.

davyw1

• Hectare
  • I love My Country
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2007, 08:35:52 »
What is telling you that you may have  "Bug " in IE7 an Anti virus pop up or some thing on start up.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2007, 08:46:24 by davyw1 »
When you wake up on a morning say "good morning world" and be grateful

DAVY

BAK

• Wiki Editor
  • Hectare
    • BK - This and That
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2007, 08:44:50 »
See Microsoft article

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/270670

Shout if it is all as clear as mud!

glow777

• Hectare
  • up in the hills in Buxton
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2007, 10:48:19 »
Pretty sure Express stores your data in a .pst file, but not sure where. Try searching your C drive for *.pst. Once found, copy the file to the backup location (making sure you are not using Express at the time).

When prog reinstalled something like : File-> Open-> Personal Folder, then browse to the backup. Once open copy into your new mailbox

Use Exchange not Express, but think the above is correct. Someone more knowledgeable shouldn't be able to resist correcting me if not.

*.DBX with OE and yep its different  ;D ;D ;D ;D

KevB

• Hectare
  • Now where did I Plant those Seeds
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2007, 14:29:20 »
If I wasn't Gardening I'd be shopping!! thank God for Gardening!!

Barnowl

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2007, 15:31:26 »
Sorry I was wrong:  confused ordinary (non-Exchange) Outlook with Outlook Express.

KevB

• Hectare
  • Now where did I Plant those Seeds
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2007, 21:21:10 »
Sorry I was wrong:  confused ordinary (non-Exchange) Outlook with Outlook Express.

twit -to- twoo! Barn Owl, I thought they where wise?
LOL
::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ;) ;) :-X :-X :-X :-[ :-[ ::) ??? :o :o ;D ;) ;)
« Last Edit: May 11, 2007, 21:22:56 by KevB »
If I wasn't Gardening I'd be shopping!! thank God for Gardening!!

Barnowl

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2007, 00:37:24 »
even owls have wol moments  :)

ipt8

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2007, 08:42:59 »
Hi
The problem is I have an XP book that tells you where the file is and what to do with it, but it will not open.
I beleive I have other problems with processor using lots of memory. I was going to do a clean re install but cant back up as disks wont finalise.
This time I may be off to the local friendly computer shop as they are certain they can sort it!! I could do without spending the time on the computer so I can get on with gardening anyway. One has  to prioritise these things.

sarah

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2007, 09:42:46 »
In Outlook Express

1.You need to locate your dbx files (one for each Outlook Express folder) and your wab file (contacts)

dbx files
---------
From the Tools menu choose, Options, Maintenance, Store folder will tell you where they are (or you can do a search for *.dbx)

wab file
--------
Search for *.wab (I can't say exactly where it is because the location varies on different machines.

2.Copy all these files somewhere safe.

3.Reinstal Outlook Express - which'll create new (empty) versions of these files

4.Copy the original files back to the relevant locations (overwriting the new versions created by the reinstallation)

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal