Author Topic: My Allotment Plan  (Read 8523 times)

jclo

• Not So New ...
My Allotment Plan
« on: January 29, 2007, 16:10:11 »
Hi All

This is my first year of having an allotment. I have already dug over 3/4 of it and am now eagerly planning what is going to go where. As I am a total novice I thought I would ask your advice on my suggested planting plan. I have mapped out my plot which is 52ftx22ft into 6" squares.

« Last Edit: January 29, 2007, 16:13:26 by jclo »

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
Re: My Allotment Plan
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2007, 16:18:47 »
Don't think I'm qualified to comment, being of the "dig a patch & bung something in" school of thought, but it looks very impressive!

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2007, 16:23:21 »
Bit organised for my liking. What's RE?
 :)

dandelion

• Hectare
    • An Vrombaut
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2007, 16:25:57 »
No courgettes ???? Or are you just being very clever : wait until your lottie neighbours are desperate to thrust their surplus courgettes on you? Good strategy  ;D!

I'd squeeze in  a French bean wigwam.

jclo

• Not So New ...
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2007, 16:28:07 »
Oops I knew I missed something RE or RB as it was befor it was turned into a picture is Rhubarb.

In the past when I have just grown in the garden I've bunged in some seeds and sat back, however I thought as this was my first year with a plot I would at least have a stab at being efficient. You wouldn't believe how many hours I spent working all that out! Pieces of paper, books, magazine, seed packets everywhere :)

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2007, 16:29:25 »
i cant see the plan  :'(

jclo

• Not So New ...
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2007, 16:33:03 »
No courgettes ???? Or are you just being very clever : wait until your lottie neighbours are desperate to thrust their surplus courgettes on you? Good strategy  ;D!

I'd squeeze in  a French bean wigwam.
We're not fans of beans or courgettes I'm afraid. Mind you with the surplus of some of the other things I'm sure I'll be able to do a bit of trading!

i cant see the plan  :'(
That will be because the server at the stupid web hosting company that I use is down. It will be up again in a few mins. (I couldn't work out how to upload straight to the site?)

cambourne7

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2007, 16:38:56 »
yep i can see it now - looks very profesional

I would only say that you have given yourself a very limited number of crops and you will get lots of gluts.

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2007, 16:47:25 »
we've put some strawberries in big pots around the apple and pear trees, also some herbs in pots , again around the fruit, to bring in the bees
you've done a wonderful job, ray does one for me every year, just wish I could stick to it  ;D

SMP1704

• Hectare
  • Isleworth, Middlesex
    • Allotment Life
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2007, 17:40:17 »
This is my second year - your plan looks great.  Couple of observations based on my own experience.  I think you have too much space for the sweetcorn - or you could grow more - I did 30 last year and it soooo wasn't enough :'( 

Not sure you have enough space for the spuds, assuming that you intend to earth up?  Are the carrot rows going width wise?  If so, think about having a couple of long rows - less of a phaff and you could do an early and late.

Are yo big lettuce eaters?  You might find rows all at the same time will be too much and most of it will end up on the compo heap - I did that last year and told myself it was green manure ;D ;D

Depends how much you like Strawberries but once you have tasted your own, you will want more, more, more - I'm trebling the size of my bed this year :o

And one last thing ;D If it is hot like last year you will need to water your Toms every day - in their current position, how near or far is that from the water?

All of the above based on my own experience and preferences.  Most of all --- have FUN ;D

Barnowl

• Hectare
  • getting back to my roots [SW London]
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2007, 17:50:57 »
I can't see any compost bins / piles?

cambourne7

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2007, 17:53:07 »
gray box top left hand side

Lady of the Land

• Half Acre
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2007, 18:23:30 »
The plan is excellent.

Agree with some of the other comments re limited number of vegetables and possibility of gluts with some and possibly not enough of potatoes ( this may be because they are a relatively cheap crop to buy in the shops) - you obviously may have your own specific reasons for the choices.

What about fruit bushes- gooseberries, red currents, blackcurrents
                   Vegetables - cucumbers, purple sprouting broccoli, brussels, cabbages, onions, garlic, aubergines, broad beans, parsnips, peas, shallots

These are just some of the extra fruit and veg I grow

Good luck

agapanthus

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2007, 18:29:35 »
I think it looks perfect...and growing what you want to grow.
Superb ;D ;D

Rose.mary

• Acre
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2007, 18:50:05 »
Wot no Herbs?

Rosemary

jclo

• Not So New ...
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2007, 19:00:04 »
Thanks for all of the comments guys. I'll try and answer some of the questions..

My nearest water supply is right at the top left of the plan. at most around 8 feet from my plot. I also live less than a 3 min walk from the plot so popping over everyday and watering should be ok (wait for me to change my mind come august!).

On all beds that I have specified how many rows, the row always goes along the longest length. I bring this up because of the comment about my carrots. Am I spacing them to close together?

Potatoes we thought were cheap enough to buy by the sack from a farm so not really worth growing a lot of them. We are planting earlies only and are really just after some nice salad potatoes.

We already grow herbs in our garden in pots. However I'm thinking of planting some out in the unused spaces and maybe some spring onions.

You think theres too much lettuce then. I did wonder that myself. We do eat a lot though.

Strawberry wise, I am going to increase the bed next year. I only have / am getting s few plants this ear to get going, so I don't expect to get much if any strawberries this year.

Gluts? Sorry thats a new term to me. I think you mean too much stock of something all at once. If so, onions, and beetroots should keep over the winter so should be ok. Carrots again the same. Other things like the sweetcorn I will be giving a few away to friends etc. Also the reason for sticking woth a limit amount of different veg is because I'm so new to all this. I thought that I would do a better job if I conectrated on a few varieties rather than lots.

Blue Bird

• Hectare
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2007, 19:02:29 »
Very impressed with your plan - also new to allotments and have not really got a plan - thought I would just see how things developed sort of evolve. I am too unorganised to get the most of my plat ??? ??? ???

LauraB

• Half Acre
  • West Bromwich
« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2007, 20:00:23 »
It looks great. What program did you use to make it? I've made mine with old fashioned pen and paper  ::)

My only question is, how much do you like raspberries?  :D My plot is 140ft by 20ft and I've not allowed that much space (mine are in two beds, 9ft by 4ft each). I've used more space for different fruits - a jostaberry, gooseberries, greengages and plums which were already there and cranberries. Obviously, raspberries are permanent too, so if you find next year that you've given too much space to them you'll be throwing them away.

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2007, 20:46:46 »
Where are your Waterbutts? Caulis? Cabbages? Outdoor cucumbers/ As previous Courgettes? to name but a few.....  Sorry to be the bearer of bad news or dont you grow these? ???
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2007, 21:07:17 »
from the looks of things, you've very carefully decided what your family will eat and concentrated on them, i think you've put in a great deal of thought, well done !!  ;D ;D

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal