Author Topic: Storing for compost  (Read 910 times)

tonyveggie

• Not So New ...
Storing for compost
« on: January 29, 2007, 10:32:38 »
Hi folks

I can only get to my plot at the weekend and am not sure of the best way to store my veg scraps for composting during the week. I live in a 3rd floor flat so no outdoor space; it tends to get a bit smelly if stored in the fridge (OH has a far more acute sense of smell than me!). Is it possible to put frozen veg on the heap or will that cool the heap too much and stop it from working? (It must get pretty cold at this time of the year anyway - last week certainly! :o)

I've seen a smell-free indoor compost crock thingy for sale but it was quite small and would never hold a week's worth of peelings - we're vegan and produce a sizeable amount of compostable 'waste'

I can't be the only person in this situation. What do others do?

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
Re: Storing for compost
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2007, 10:50:02 »
I use a 20l tubby Brabantia pedal bin with bio-bucket which lives in the kitchen. The Brabantia seems to manage our organic waste for a week. Another way of coping is to do a lot of the 'rough trimming' - leek leaves and roots, globe artichoke trimmings etc. - sat on the side of the compost bin down at the plot.

Like you, I live in a 3rd floor flat without lift :o I've tried oodles of solutions - if Brabantia stop selling this bin (it's not cheap) I will probably go for a nappy bucket with a biodegradable plastic bag inside. Tried the crock pot, gave it away as a pressie as it's far too small. But the Brabantia has been best solution I've found, used one for years, but I drove over the bucket in a mad moment :-\ and a chum is getting me one for a late Xmas pressie :D It doesn't smell because a) the lid is tight, and b) we've started layering with shredded office paper, that keeps it reasonably sweet inside. Cleaning the bin is best done at the allotment IMO :-X

tonyveggie

• Not So New ...
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2007, 13:27:07 »
Thanks supersprout, I'll look into those. Have to be creative with floor space in the kitchen to get yet another bin in!

Do you put a bag in yours and then take that to your plot? And if so do you use biodegradable bags? Do they break down quickly enough to go on the heap as well?

Anyone ever tried putting frozen scraps on their heap, or can tell me whether this is me showing my newbie's ignorance of a complete no-no!?

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2007, 13:30:14 »
You're welcome tonyveggie :)
No, I don't use bags, just the plastic bucket that comes with the bin (a Bone of Contention in our household!)
Hope someone else has advice about the biodegradable bags. My fear would be that they'd disintegrate in one week!
I put waste or out of date frozen veg into the compost.

STHLMgreen

• Half Acre
    • grow things
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2007, 14:17:16 »
I didn't have a very hot heap, but the biodegradable bag was there 3 months later, last I checked. Exposure to the elements had just started to make holes in it.

I believe they are best used with the composting in your area (if it exists) as they dump everything together and the bags get broken as they mix.

Maybe this would be different if you had a large or hot heap. For me, the bags arenät worth it. I reused a plastic bin.

Not sure about frozen things... I live in a flat too and if I put anything on the balcony now it would freeze.  :)
urban gardening: my humble beginnings
http://growthings.blogspot.com

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2007, 16:00:09 »
I use bio bags that I got free with my kitchen caddie which I got free with my compost dalek bin, and before anyone asks yes I paid for that, they tell you to empty every 4 days, but being tight I leave it 2/3 weeks or when its full. Can still see some bags in the compost bin so it's slow breaking down, if their still there when I use the compost I'll just throw them back in.
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal