Author Topic: Buying plant pots ect on line  (Read 1556 times)

gary

• Half Acre
  • Hull East Yorkshire
Buying plant pots ect on line
« on: January 24, 2007, 21:34:06 »
Not just plant pots but carry trays and multi cell trays, but not bulk orders. As it is my first year I would like quite bit of stuff. Does any one have any good links to anywhere else?
The best one I have found is this one but the postage is quite expensive (well to me it is)

http://www.thegardensuperstore.co.uk/

Or is there anyone from Hull that would want anything from this site so we could split the delivery costs?

Gary

Marymary

• Hectare
  • Norwich
Re: Buying plant pots ect on line
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2007, 21:40:20 »
Good luck with your first year's growing Gary, I bet you will want quite a bit bit of stuff next year too & the next year...... Belive me there is no end to it. :)

kitten

• Hectare
  • Lincolnshire
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2007, 21:47:07 »
Hi gary, we're growing for the first year too and i'm a bit obsessed already!

Do you have any Lidl, Wilkinsons, Poundland, Home Bargains shops in Hull?  If so, is there any way you could shop there for the bits you want?  I've bought all sorts, seed trays, modules, seeds (buy 1 pack get one free!) all at cheap prices and you'd save yourself a bit of postage too (to spend on more stuff  ;D )  Good luck & have fun!
Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened

vee

• Acre
  • Ashton-under-Lyne, near Manchester
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2007, 23:52:43 »
Like Kitten I have bought loads of cells/modules at Poundland, usually about six for a pound and they will last at least a couple of years.

The cheapest gravel trays (like seed trays but no drainage holes)are at Wilkinsons. I find them really useful for holding a quantity of small pots before they're planted out. 

I have got plant pot carry trays at the garden centre free. Because they're free I have quite a few, but can't resist them ;D

The plastic trays that things like pork chops come on from the supermarket are also good for using under small square pots as a drip tray.
In the past I've bought all sorts of modules, some of which I've never used, so you might be best getting cheap ones till you know what is most useful.
Good luck and have fun.

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2007, 07:26:34 »
Go to your local park and see the gardeners. when they plant out their summer or winter bedding they have loads of pots, modules and trays. They have to dump them because they cannot be used again unless they are sterilised.

A small token of your appreciation and you will have pots for life. If you are worried about contamination a quick blast with a cheap steam cleaner will do the job.

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2007, 13:49:23 »
I've never bought any, most garden centres will give them away. Check boot sales and other plotteer's.

SMP1704

• Hectare
  • Isleworth, Middlesex
    • Allotment Life
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2007, 14:28:15 »
I'd recommend somewhere on the high street like Wilkinsons/Pundshop or look out for the freebie box at the garden centre - full of plant pots, moduels etc.  Our local Wyevale has one and I think most do - usually by the tills or by the car park.

Scrounging is part of the fun of being a plotter ;)

flytrapman

• Half Acre
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2007, 15:31:02 »
I have bought pots from Kays, not sure of the address but I think it is in Cumbria.
Google should find it

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2007, 19:10:58 »
Yes our local garden centre has a freebie box full of pots and all sorts, worth checking Gary before parting with the old shekels. ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

OliveOil

• Hectare
  • Lincs
    • Phoenix Traders Forum
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2007, 19:30:10 »
after attending a seminar with SS and Prink I am going to go with what Barnsdale gardens use... available from lbs 
http://www.lbsgardendirect.co.uk/product.asp?pf_id=TPLUG&recno=16

under £4 for a pack of 5 trays

reuseable year after year and very sturdy.

SS - i never heard back from Barnsdale but i reckon these are the ones...!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal