Author Topic: Have i bought my seed potatoes to early?  (Read 2802 times)

onzlow

Have i bought my seed potatoes to early?
« on: January 23, 2007, 17:54:13 »
Hi
went to the garden center today and they had seed potatoes in as i grew them for the first time last year i bought 2 bags as i wanted to make sure i could get them .
however reading books etc they cant go in the ground for at least another month so what should i do with them to keep them good for planting ?

dark,light,covered,garage(havnt got a shed) or fridge?

or should i chit them now and get them in ? maris peer By the way
ps should i be starting onion seeds off in an unheated small greenhouse off now ,as i have a small electric heateri can put in if i need to start them off early

thanks in advance for your time

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
Re: Have i bought my seed potatoes to early?
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2007, 18:21:51 »
First - don't panic!! March for planting?

Options:
1. Frost free & dark. Spread out.
2. If you believe in 'chitting' - see several threads here - have a cool room indoors, layout in light -  ie grow sturdy green shoots. Many people, these days, say don't bother.
3. Mine have been in the light indoors for a month.

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2007, 18:38:29 »
Perfect timing - see previous post.
Mine went into a light, cool room to chit (sprout) last week, and they'll go out in late March.
Nice variety second early! Alan Romans, potato guru, says:

It is perhaps the most attractive potato plant known, with domed symmetry and strong purple flowers; a summer walk through a field of scented 'Maris Peer' flowers beats even the cliched sunflower fantasy!
« Last Edit: January 23, 2007, 18:40:05 by supersprout »

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2007, 19:07:55 »
Mine are in a darkened shed in potato sacks, didn't want them chitting too ealy should I put them in the egg boxes and let the light in. I will be chitting mine the books I read said it's important for first early's to chit to get a head start.   ;D ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2007, 19:22:06 »
My 4 varieties have been laid out in veg racks for 8-10 days now. They are in my shed with no windows.
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2007, 19:28:00 »
Kev - get'em laid out to breathe!!

They start to 'chit' in their own good time.

cornykev

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2007, 20:01:52 »
Right you are Tim, shall I let the light in or not.   :-\ :-\ :-\ ;D

onzlow

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2007, 20:05:51 »
ok so general consenus is  to open the net they are in and lay them out in a darkend place

i have a window in the garage but  i can cover them up

i can highly recommend them i bought a bag of 10 last year and had some quite early that were lovely but the others i forgot about till late september and thought id better clear the bed i started digging and there was hundreds!! ,ok a few were green as i didn't earth up but i was very pleased with the taste for chips, roasting and mash.
this year ill definatly earth up but effort to resuly value is outstanding

Thanks all for your help ,boy this is a busy forum ,lol

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2007, 20:16:37 »
Get rid of the net altogether onz, it will tangle in the shoots and they'll break off :o

janet h 1948

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2007, 20:28:01 »
I went shopping yesterday & Poundland had Unwins Desiree seed potatoes in stock. I've never grown potatoes before & don't know when to plant or anything. Any advise please.
Janet.

philcooper

• Hectare
    • Hampshire Potato Day
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2007, 20:46:04 »
Onzlow & Cornykev,

Light or dark they will start sprouting when they feel like it. Laying them out lets air between them so reducing the danger of rotting, and, if one starts, the others do not "catch" the rot by contact.

If you keep them in the dark then check regularly, if they start to sprout then bring them into the light - but keep cool. If you don't you'll get long thin white sprouts - you want short fat green ones.

Janeth,

Keep them as described in this thread until the ground is much warmer - around mid March before planting out in trenches 4" deep, preferably with compost or farmyard manure in the bottom of the trench (the spuds need to be 4" below the level of the surface whether you include compost/fym or not. I also throw in a handful of fish blood and bone meal where each tuber is to be planted. The rows should be 2' 6" apart and tubers 15 - 18" apart in the rows.

Cover with soil to level the ground. As the leaves break through keep an eye out for frost, if it threatens then cover with fleece or, if you don't have any, a very thin layer of soil. When the leaves are 4" above the soil level pull soil from between the rows to earth up (cover the stems and leave the leaves just on the surface). Repeat this at least once. Then carefully hoe off weed on the ridges until the leaves have formed sufficient canopy to prevent weed growth. When they flower, pick off the flowers and give a good watering with a seaweed based liquid feed and water again if there is no rain.

No boubt information on identifying pests and diseases will appear on the list as spotted by mmebers

Phil

Blue Bird

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2007, 20:46:29 »
Try    http://tinyurl.com/2tplboy this was sent to me when I asked for similar advise  

Good luck  :) :)

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2007, 17:07:30 »
Continuing this thread, I got my seed pots from Alan Romans yesterday (was surprised to see he supplies them in plastic bags rather than nets- got a bit of condensation). Most not showing any shoots but Orla with pronounced shoots up to half an inch. Should I put them in the dark to hold them back, put them in the light to stop the shoots getting too leggy, or rub them off and start again?  :-\I'm in Yorkshire so won't be planting early.

cornykev

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2007, 19:58:49 »
Laid mine out in egg boxes today left  them in the lottie shed with a small window so it's got a bit of light, some of the early ACCENT have small sprouts already.

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2007, 20:00:49 »
getting ours tomorrow, accent, kestrel and desiree, already have premiere for in the poly so we'll be all set, come on, spring !!   ;D ;D ;D
« Last Edit: January 27, 2007, 20:24:57 by manicscousers »

cornykev

• Hectare
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2007, 20:07:41 »
Mine's accent, kestrel and pfa. Make sure you don't buy the whole shop Scousers.  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

MattyJC

• Half Acre
  • South Oxfordshire
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2007, 20:23:54 »
Getting mine tomorrow...Please leave some for me at Ryton folks!! Last year T&M delivered my seed spuds a week before Xmas, which horrified me, but I unpacked them, chitted them and they were fine, so don't panic!

Regards

Matt

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2007, 21:16:34 »
Gonna go to spud day tomorrow. Though I already have 4 varieties, I may get up to 2 more - ones that our lottie shop dont sell. Lottie shop sells a dozen or so varieties, 25+ at the fair - not 100 like some of the larger ones. :(

sazhig

• Half Acre
« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2007, 22:00:39 »
Advice at Potato day at Ryton today was to lay them out in egg boxes or similar with the sprouting end up in the light &  cold (but frost free)...shed or cold bedroom...mine are going in our north facing, unheated conservatory. They can be kept in the dark but check them regularly & put in the light as soon as they sprout as the pale shoost that form in the dark are not good....

...I noticed a few replies on this thread mentioned kestrel...hope its not too late to mention but Kestrel sold out this morning at Ryton within the first hour of them opening....they do save some for the sunday sale as well I think so there should be some available, just get there early!

Saz

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2007, 22:18:54 »
Went to spud fair today at Acklam. Was there for 10am. It was jam packed! Got 2 more varieties - CARA & VERITY. These are what I wanted to try but were unavailable from our lottie shop unfortunately. Will definitely go again next year.

Don't know where I am gonna put 6 different kinds of spuds - 4 lates!. Never planted lates before, usually just do 1 early & 1 2nd early ::)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal