Author Topic: Lean to greenhouse  (Read 1996 times)

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
Lean to greenhouse
« on: January 23, 2007, 01:51:41 »
HI

I have been offered via freecycle "the bits that once comprised two lean two plastic greenhouses - suitable to go against fence or shed" there not sure if all the bits are there but certainly enough that will make one.

I am not stupid enough to say no, but any suggestions on ancoring it to the shed?

I am going to change where the shed sits on my patio area so that ( thanks to mattys suggestion ) i can get some posts into the ground and stop it flying away :-).

Cambourne7
« Last Edit: January 23, 2007, 02:11:19 by cambourne7 »

cambourne7

• Hectare
Re: Lean to greenhouse
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2007, 19:15:32 »
found out today that the items are 6ft high, 2 ft wide and 1 ft deep

I think my shed might be a little short for them so rather than putting on patio area what about if i get a couple of patio slaps ( have 2 left ) and make a base in the soil beside the patio and but the shed up against it?

Even if i get get one into place i think it should be find for starting seeds and then planting chillis and tomatos into over summer?

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2007, 19:19:01 »
If you can get 2 solid posts in the ground you could secure it by bungees.
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

cambourne7

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2007, 19:58:51 »
Cool

I was going to move the shed around so that i can use some of these posts matty suggested that i use so i can certainly get an extra couple of the greenhouse or i have some tree stakes which i can drive into the ground a couple of feet.

Really excited the person giving it to me says there should be enough for one and the other may be missing bits but may be adaptable into something smaller or a cold frame :-)

yippe

Larkshall

• Hectare
  • Near Cambourne (Cambs.)
    • Ellis Rowell's Website
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2007, 16:29:03 »
Hello Louise.

I saw today (lunchtime) that Morrisons have got the same greenhouse as I bought from Scotsdales at half the price (£24.99). The only difference is that it hasn't got the reinforcing mesh in it. B&Q do replacement covers anyway for £12.99.
Organiser, Mid Anglia Computer Users (Est. 1988)
Member of the Cambridge Cyclists Touring Club

Larkshall

• Hectare
  • Near Cambourne (Cambs.)
    • Ellis Rowell's Website
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2007, 21:47:02 »
Update on the Nortene Plastic greenhouses

I had assembled the two greenhouse frames in my garage. On checking them today I found that four plastic joints had split. This shows an inherant weakness in the design.

I repaired them with nylon cable ties (8 inch) wrapped twice around the joint and pulled tight with pliers. I then decided to reinforce all the other joints by putting cable ties on them. One 6x4 greenhouse requires a packet of 100 "Green Gem" ties at £1.34.

Hopefully this will solve the problem, if not, I shall make new frames with 25x50mm sawn timber.
Organiser, Mid Anglia Computer Users (Est. 1988)
Member of the Cambridge Cyclists Touring Club

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal