Author Topic: The difference a week makes...  (Read 5617 times)

LauraB

• Half Acre
  • West Bromwich
The difference a week makes...
« on: January 20, 2007, 20:14:04 »
Last Saturday, brambles 9ft high in places;

http://www.photobox.co.uk/album/album_photo.html?c_photo=89959652

and today, ready to begin planning layout of plot and digging beds;

http://www.photobox.co.uk/album/album_photo.html?c_photo=90487930

I have graph paper, pencil and coffee and can start the exciting bit  ;D

kitten

• Hectare
  • Lincolnshire
Re: The difference a week makes...
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2007, 20:21:27 »
Whit woo Laura you've done loads there  :D!  I've already done my plan  :P just need to get down the lottie and hope our neighb's have ploughed the flaming thing so we can start marking out the beds & putting the paths in.

Wait til you get to the really exciting part..... actually planting stuff!!!!!  Good luck with your plan, don't forget to keep those pics coming! x
Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened

LauraB

• Half Acre
  • West Bromwich
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2007, 20:28:45 »
Whit woo Laura you've done loads there  :D!  I've already done my plan  :P just need to get down the lottie and hope our neighb's have ploughed the flaming thing so we can start marking out the beds & putting the paths in.

Wait til you get to the really exciting part..... actually planting stuff!!!!!  Good luck with your plan, don't forget to keep those pics coming! x

One of my neighbours ploughs plots too, but there I'm going to dig because we have a real couch grass/dock problem. Be lovely to just plough it though!

I'm really pleased with progress, especially considering I've got a toddler and a baby in tow. I think I'm becoming a bit addicted, truth be told...

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2007, 20:47:53 »
I am having withdrawl symptoms not being able to get all I want done down at the plot due the weather. Managed to dig out a path to seperate a quadrant today. Put plastic membrane down and filled with 3 bags of wood chippings. One down, 3 more to go. Ran out of nails so couldnt get cracked. Bit gutted.

Will see what can be done tomorrow.....
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

LauraB

• Half Acre
  • West Bromwich
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2007, 20:55:56 »
I am having withdrawl symptoms not being able to get all I want done down at the plot due the weather. Managed to dig out a path to seperate a quadrant today. Put plastic membrane down and filled with 3 bags of wood chippings. One down, 3 more to go. Ran out of nails so couldnt get cracked. Bit gutted.

Will see what can be done tomorrow.....

The weather has seriously limited my time there too. So, so sick of wind and rain.

When you lay your paths, do/would you remove weeds from them first? I would like to lay paths with weed proof membrane and then bark, but I'm not sure if I should dig it to remove couch roots first? It would be a shame to dig it because it's nicely compacted (and I'm lazy!) but I'll do it if you think the weeds in the path would cause too much of a problem in the beds.

kitten

• Hectare
  • Lincolnshire
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2007, 22:40:40 »
Hi Laura

We're only having the plot ploughed this first time cos it wasn't properly cultivated by the previous owner (apparently he mainly sat in the shed, chain-drinking cans of coke  ::) ) but once we've put our paths in we'll dig the beds from then onwards (much to our neighbs disdain lol  ;D ).

Re the paths question: I probably wouldn't bother digging them first, as once they're covered with membrane & bark won't the weeds die off anyway, and like you said they'll be nicely compacted already ready for covering.  I will happily stand corrected tho' if someone comes up with a good reason to dig! x
Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2007, 00:27:41 »
Magnificent LauraB, once the backbone of paths and structure appears it's much easier to tackle one bit at a time. Inspiring stuff, especially with the crud weather we've been having :o

Another reason to make paths first is to use the topsoil from paths on the bed areas. Then black plastic or cardboard go onto the path, then thick woodchip - we're fortunate in a good supply free from the Council. Beds will have to be cleared with whatever method you use (e.g. digging, or planting through black plastic or cardboard), so I don't worry about weeds too much - it's easy to hoik out the obvious perennial roots as the spadefuls of topsoil go onto the beds. And your plants get the benefit of additional topsoil.

I worked out that 25% of my plot area is path or hardstanding, which was a bit shocking! but it's a price I'm happy to pay, as the beds are planted intensively, and paths are essential for moving around the plot and cultivating comfortably. Anyone else done a calculation - what did you come up with? ::)

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2007, 00:36:14 »

I'm really pleased with progress, especially considering I've got a toddler and a baby in tow. I think I'm becoming a bit addicted, truth be told...

You have done brilliantly, what a difference a week makes! :o

I too became addicted very quickly, when you start to see results it spurs you on even more......I get withdrawal symptoms if I can't get down to the plot for a few days, really miserable if it rains on a day off!!

I'll have to get my calculator out to work out my path/bed ratio SS.... :-\
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2007, 00:39:01 »
When you lay your paths, do/would you remove weeds from them first? I would like to lay paths with weed proof membrane and then bark, but I'm not sure if I should dig it to remove couch roots first? It would be a shame to dig it because it's nicely compacted (and I'm lazy!) but I'll do it if you think the weeds in the path would cause too much of a problem in the beds.

I had already dug out the couch grass and weeds last year so it is all nicely cleaned soil ready for digging. The soil I have removed has been used to fill 2 raised beds, the rest is spread around the plot. The black plastic is covered with 3" of chippings. As this compacts I will add. Hopefully that is deep enough. With the membrane - it should be :-\
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2007, 00:53:20 »

I had already dug out the couch grass and weeds last year so it is all nicely cleaned soil ready for digging. The soil I have removed has been used to fill 2 raised beds, the rest is spread around the plot. The black plastic is covered with 3" of chippings. As this compacts I will add. Hopefully that is deep enough. With the membrane - it should be :-\

Cor, sounds perfect kaytee. Seeing your avatar again reminded me how pleasant woodchip paths are for kiddies as well as grown up gardeners ;)

Blue Bird

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2007, 10:49:41 »
Well done !!!! It is coming on a treat keep it up and you will not know the plot.

Happy growing

BB

louise stella

• Hectare
  • We're half way there Mum!!!!!
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2007, 13:10:50 »
Hi all

I am going to mulch half of my beds, I have put down some newspaper and cardboard and then plan to top it with horsemuck!  PLease tell me this will in time get rid of couch????

Louise

Grow yer bugger grow!

Curryandchips

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2007, 13:19:40 »
Hi all

PLease tell me this will in time get rid of couch????

Oh if life were so easy ... you will certainly reduce the amount of couch, but get rid of it? Only persistence will do that I think. It does get easier as you go though.

Good luck anyway ...

Derek :)
The impossible is just a journey away ...

mokanoo

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2007, 13:25:02 »
Hi Louise.

I had a serious couch grass problem. Have had black tarpaulin down on it for nearly a year. It hasn't gotten rid of it but it's so much easier to dig out as it's not as set in as before (if that makes sense). Also it been easier to dig the ground in this weather as the ground is now dry. Either cover and wait or do the old little at a time routine. It's a mare I know.

LauraB, great work, inspired me to get down the lottie at the weekend and crack on with the beds. Just need to get my seeds now.

cheers all.

louise stella

• Hectare
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2007, 13:34:00 »
Cheers guys!

My reasoning is that I can concentrate on the well dug half this year and get that as clear as I can.  The mulched half can be tackled in earnest after I have won the battle of the first half!

I know that squashes/courgettes etc grow perfectly well on a mulch and whilst they are growing away - I can concentrate on weeding the other beds!

.....well thats the plan anyway - my back can't take any more digging!

Louise

Grow yer bugger grow!

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2007, 14:27:45 »
also, potatoes break up soil so, you can also grow spuds under weed control fabric, that'll help loosen the couch  ;D

louise stella

• Hectare
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2007, 10:19:24 »
I'm going to grow my spuds on the beds that I have cleared a bit better - mainly because that fits in with my Rotation plan.  Hopefully by the time my squashes etc have been harvested - the couch will be less of a problem to remove.  I also have a problem disposing of the d**n stuff!  Too wet to burn - so I am going to bag it up to exclude light and let it rot! - someone also advised that these bags of weeds make good weights for holding down the sheet mulch/cardboard etc over the winter!

Louise
Grow yer bugger grow!

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2007, 17:33:07 »
Great work Louise... couch makes great top dressing once it is totally dried out...
 ;D

louise stella

• Hectare
« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2007, 22:49:05 »
Great work Louise... couch makes great top dressing once it is totally dried out...
 ;D

...nice to know it's good for something!

Louise
Grow yer bugger grow!

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2007, 22:16:40 »
and it seems to discourage the couch from coming back in, can't explain how or why but that is the result I had!
 8)

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal