Author Topic: Raspberry Canes useful tips???  (Read 1867 times)

Blue Bird

• Hectare
Raspberry Canes useful tips???
« on: January 07, 2007, 18:09:59 »
Expecting delivery of Raspberry canes any day now can anyone give useful tips???

support/position etc..... ??? ??? ??? ???

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
Re: Raspberry Canes useful tips???
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2007, 20:00:18 »
I grow mine in pots.  They need a good fertile soil, a fair amount of water and they are happy in shade/semi-shade.  I top dress them with leaf mound and grass clippings regularly and spray them once in flower with seaweed extract.  They are supported on canes. 

G x
'The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.'

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2007, 21:22:02 »
ours are in their own, 3' wide bed, against a wall, planted 18" between, posts in the floor and wires strung between, tied in as they grow, don't know about anyone else ?  ;D

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2007, 06:03:49 »
Spring or Autumn fruiting raspbs BB?

Blue Bird

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2007, 14:15:02 »
Have ordered Glen Ample so not too sure if summer or Autumn so will have to check. ??? ???

Melbourne12

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Harrow, Middx
    • Allotmenteering Blog
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2007, 17:42:29 »
They're summer ones.

My handy hint is to make sure that the soil is reasonably well-drained.  I planted two rows of rasps last year.  One flourished, the other died.  The row that didn't do well was (unknown to me at the time) on a part of the allotment that gets soggy in wet weather.  I think they drowned!  :o

Blue Bird

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2007, 18:45:31 »
Spring or Autumn fruiting raspbs BB?
Seems they are  summer to mid season with no thorn (that must have been the reseason I bought them - due to Grandchildren)

daisymay

• Hectare
  • Bedfordshire
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2007, 15:28:17 »
was going to ask a similar raspberry question.....

we put some in a while back and I had some black weed suppresent left over from somthing else, so I used it to put around the bottom of the raspberries..

I am now thinking - will they be able to grow OK as they send up new shoots don't they? I did not put it too snug around the bottom of the plants, should I remove it completely??

Kea

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2007, 16:55:37 »
I put straw/hay around the base of mine it still allows new canes to grow.

Kea

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2007, 16:57:48 »
Another thing that i did was to grow nasturtiums under my gooseberry bushes, they stopped any weeds from growing and encouraged lots of bee's.

Columbus

• Hectare
    • A Duel of Delight and Desperation Index page
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2007, 20:36:54 »
Hi Blue Bird, Hi all  :)

I planted mine into trenches full of well rotted horse manure and old leaf mould (my best mix) its too early to say if thats a good thing or not but I wanted to give them a good start.

The patch had been used for spuds and self-sown nasturtiums which I harvested for poor-mans capers, and remains weed free so far. I also planted a lavender hedge down one side. I hope the nasturtiums self-seed again this year, the plants are much stronger than the ones I start off myself.

Best of luck , Col
... I am warmed by winter sun and by the light in your eyes.
I am refreshed by the rain and the dew
And by thoughts of you...

jennym

• Hectare
  • Essex/Suffolk border
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2007, 02:14:25 »
You will definitely need posts & wires with Glen Ample as the canes will grow to about 4 or 5 ft in the summer of 2007, and these canes will need to be supported over winter 2007/8, so they don't get damaged by winds and can produce fruit the following summer 2008. These canes that have fruited in summer 2008 should be cut down after fruiting. There will also be new canes produced at the same time in summer 2008, these will be the ones you keep over winter 2008/9 for fruiting in 2009.

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2007, 10:56:10 »
Nobody has yet mentioned that newly planted raspberies need to be pruned to about 9" tall to make them grow strong and sturdy before fruiting.   You also should cut out all the old stems that have fruited as soon as the harvest is over.  That way you regenerate your canes every year.
Obxx - Vendée France

Blue Bird

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2007, 14:53:46 »
Thanks for all the information will start to look out for suitable post and aquire some wire form eldest son. :) :) :)

cacran

• Hectare
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2007, 20:03:44 »
Just taken over an allotment where there are established raspberry plants. the canes are quite tall. When do I have to do anything with them and what do I do?

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2007, 21:21:47 »
is it spring, or is that for autumn ones, I can never remember   :D :D

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2007, 08:43:33 »
Normal raspberries need to be thinned leaving one good strong stem every 9".  Autumn fruiting ones fruit on new wood this year so need cutting back in Feb or March then thinning when th enew growth forms.
Obxx - Vendée France

cacran

• Hectare
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2007, 18:31:19 »
Oh, I will have to try and discover if they are Autumn fruiting ones then. Thanks anyway.

Blue Bird

• Hectare
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2007, 18:01:37 »
Can i put fresh horse manure around them as long as it does not touch the stems?? ??? ??? ??? ???

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2007, 10:06:15 »
Another thing that i did was to grow nasturtiums under my gooseberry bushes, they stopped any weeds from growing and encouraged lots of bee's.

That's a good idea! (thinks....more seeds required....!)

I wouldn't put fresh manure around anything, well rotted yes. Stack fresh stuff and cover for about 6 months then use it, or make a hotbed with the fresh stuff now.

If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal