Author Topic: veggie books  (Read 810 times)

groundcover

• Not So New ...
veggie books
« on: January 21, 2007, 09:34:57 »
hi guys, just obtained a book called ' vegetable garden displayed' from the amazon website which was published by the royal horticultural society. I know that there has been many reprints of this book but does anyone know what year the first edition came out? ( mines from 1941). An absolute classic read for anyone going organic, as the saying goes, the old ones are always the best

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
Re: veggie books
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2007, 10:47:58 »
Certainly are groundcover, I've got loads of fusties with photographs of men in plus-four suits scattering tentathracyte of denerbicine over their seakale ;) and double-digging.
Don't know the original date of the Veg Garden Displayed - is it Pauline Pears? - she's got a new book coming out btw ::). She's a wonderful writer, where would we be without her and Joy Larkcomb eh :)

groundcover

• Not So New ...
Re: veggie books
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2007, 13:36:59 »
certainly agree supersprout, shes a wonderful writer. went to college a few year back to study horticulture and my tutor at the time ( very old but knew his stuff ), told us that if we wanted to learn anything about veg growing go to a second hand book shop and pick a book from the 30s to 40s period, you cannot go wrong- boy was he right! things were so simple in those days

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal