Author Topic: cheap arches  (Read 3793 times)

norfolklass

• Hectare
  • Norwich - a fine city
cheap arches
« on: January 16, 2007, 11:19:16 »
after reading all the posts about the bargains in Wilkinson's, Netto's, etc. I've been scouring Norwich's cheap shops in the hope that they've got their gardening stuff in. Poundland is currently being 'refurbished' (can you believe it?!?) and is reopening tomorrow so I'll be in there rootling about for stuff!

I did go into QD on my way to work this morning and bought two metal arches for £3.99 each – I thought they were too cheap not to buy and that I'd be able to use them for something! I thought about draping netting over them and using them as a sort of fruit cage. has anyone else tried this? or got any better ideas?!

Barnowl

• Hectare
  • getting back to my roots [SW London]
Re: cheap arches
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2007, 11:29:42 »
A runner bean tunnel?

PS Who or what is QD?

norfolklass

• Hectare
  • Norwich - a fine city
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2007, 11:47:48 »
A runner bean tunnel?

PS Who or what is QD?

ooh, I like the idea of a bean tunnel, thank you :)

(no idea what QD stands for!!)

Columbus

• Hectare
    • A Duel of Delight and Desperation Index page
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2007, 12:25:12 »
Hi Norfolklass,

I used the arch (just the half-round) sections of the QD arches as end peices with builders debris netting thrown over but I have a bamboo central ridge that is taking most of the weight. The long metal tube sections of the arch weren`t strong enough to use as a central ridge pole.

Col

QD is a bargain (factory over runs and bankrupt stock) shop, they have two in Norwich and I think they have others around Norfolk, but I think they aren`t a national chain so I always write "bargain shop" when I mean QD
... I am warmed by winter sun and by the light in your eyes.
I am refreshed by the rain and the dew
And by thoughts of you...

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2007, 16:29:01 »
We used to have a small chain of three "bargain" shops that bought up beer/wine/spirits stock called PickKwik ... but they got ideas above their station and went out of business!
 :(

Kea

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2007, 17:37:26 »
I got some last year from Wilkinson's.....haven't used them yet because anything metal on our sites seems to disappear at the moment. Including the old bits of rusting farm machinery I was using to hold down the carpet over my manure heap. Unbelievable!

froglets

• Hectare
  • "Chust sublime"
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2007, 17:50:24 »
Hi Kea, Even rusting bits of metal have scrap value.  OH picks up all sorts being binned ( not from lotties or gardens or anything) & either swaps at the scrap yard for stuff, or beer tokens.

Allotmenteers aren't the only ones to spot alterntive uses for other people's discards, just I think we're a bit more honest.
is it in the sale?
(South Cheshire)

Barnowl

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2007, 17:57:19 »
I'm envious Norfolklass - the wood I'm using costs more than a pre-made arch - but I don't think there's anything like that near us.

norfolklass

• Hectare
  • Norwich - a fine city
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2007, 09:39:34 »
I got some last year from Wilkinson's.....haven't used them yet because anything metal on our sites seems to disappear at the moment. Including the old bits of rusting farm machinery I was using to hold down the carpet over my manure heap. Unbelievable!

I've been filling biodegradable carrier bags with a bit of top soil then tying them up: bingo! transportable weights with handles! pretty sure I read that tip on this forum, so thanks to whoever posted it ;)

went into Poundland this morning and not only do they have cloches, but lots of plants too ;D lots of shrubs, but also blackberries, redcurrants, gooseberries, blueberries and raspberries for £1 a go!!! I'm desperate to buy some but am desperately unprepared. can I plant them in a temporary site until I'm organised then move them, or am I better waiting until I have a proper fruit bed ready? and would anyone who can't get to a Poundland like me to get them something and try posting it?

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2007, 09:56:47 »
Last year Home Bargains had these arches for the same price - £3.99. A friend made a fruit cage tunnel out of them & also erected a pergola structure using 2 arches over which he grew peas. Arches are secured in the ground by sinking the first 12" or so into lengths of copper piping left over from bathroom work into the soil then dropping the legs of the arches into them.

Barnowl

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2007, 11:22:11 »
Is 'Home Bargains' a shop as well? Haven't seen one round here...

Kea

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2007, 11:52:57 »

I've been filling biodegradable carrier bags with a bit of top soil then tying them up: bingo! transportable weights with handles! pretty sure I read that tip on this forum, so thanks to whoever posted it ;)

I use carrier bags as well but they brakdown quite quickly, well at least enough so that the soil all falls out the bottom when you lift it. I also use bags of weeds.

It's not just old rusty metal that goes on our site. Someone was contstructing a green house and they were just about to put the glass in and someone stole it one night.

Columbus

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2007, 12:20:13 »
Hi Norfolklass, Hi all,  :)

I'm desperate to buy some but am desperately unprepared. can I plant them in a temporary site until I'm organised then move them,

I`ve had much more success with poundland "stick in a bag" fruit bushes than I have with more expensive plants from woolworths, (another thread).
They come with clipped or tightly wound roots so you could pop them into large pots or tubs until you are ready to move them.

Also I`ve had four seasons use from their cloches.

Col

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2007, 12:48:55 »

I googled to find the location of shops. Didn't find, but came up with this for you:-

http://www.ciao.co.uk/Home_Bargains_Shop__Review_5568550

norfolklass

• Hectare
  • Norwich - a fine city
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2007, 12:54:26 »
Hi Norfolklass, Hi all,  :)

I'm desperate to buy some but am desperately unprepared. can I plant them in a temporary site until I'm organised then move them,

I`ve had much more success with poundland "stick in a bag" fruit bushes than I have with more expensive plants from woolworths, (another thread).
They come with clipped or tightly wound roots so you could pop them into large pots or tubs until you are ready to move them.

Also I`ve had four seasons use from their cloches.

Col

thanks, Col, for the reassurance!!!
and thanks too, Alishka, for the copper pipe tip.
I'm off to Poundland ;D

Barnowl

• Hectare
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2007, 13:15:30 »

I googled to find the location of shops. Didn't find, but came up with this for you:-

http://www.ciao.co.uk/Home_Bargains_Shop__Review_5568550

Thanks Alishka - looked them up on Yell - nearest one appears to be Liverpool; back to the hammer and saw, quite enjoy it really.

norfolklass

• Hectare
  • Norwich - a fine city
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2007, 13:56:41 »
where are you Barnowl? they're only £4 so if the postage is cheap I could parcel one up and post it to you for still not much money if you like? (just bought the last one so I've got a spare!)

norfolklass

• Hectare
  • Norwich - a fine city
« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2007, 14:08:34 »
just under 2 kilos so £5.31 Royal Mail's parcel rate

Columbus

• Hectare
« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2007, 17:34:10 »
 :)

QD (over the road from Poundland) will also have "stick in a bag" fruit bushes in the next few weeks. Theirs come through their own garden centre and so might be better cared for. So if you want to gamble on that belief you might wish to wait before buying. On the other hand you could buy more then.  ;D

I looked at the bushes in poundland and I think some were a bit sad looking. (they always look sad but even more so I thought) Maybe they`ve been stored somewhere unsuitable whilst the shop was refurbished. So choose carefully. The blackcurrant bushes were coming into tiny buds and quite strong if you can get to them soon enough and look after them whilst the next weeks cold weather passes.

QD have onion and shallot sets at 99p a bag which are always successful, and flower bulbs at 2 bags for a fiver.

I love the cheap shops this time of year.

Col

Kea

• Hectare
« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2007, 16:34:54 »
We never have any good shops here. I see the nearest is 30 miles, of course my Mother-in-law has one just down the road. They have everything where she lives.
There's a sort of garden home discount store I saw advertised in our local paper in Peterborough but i forgot to see where it said it was...don't suppose anyone in peterborough Knows?

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal