Author Topic: cheap arches  (Read 3778 times)

Kea

• Hectare
Re: cheap arches
« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2007, 18:46:59 »
I just heard on the local news today that people are stealing anything made of metal in my area. I think I'll keep my arches at home for longer. They've even cut pipes off the outsides of houses!

norfolklass

• Hectare
  • Norwich - a fine city
« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2007, 17:23:53 »
:)

QD (over the road from Poundland) will also have "stick in a bag" fruit bushes in the next few weeks. Theirs come through their own garden centre and so might be better cared for. So if you want to gamble on that belief you might wish to wait before buying. On the other hand you could buy more then.  ;D

I looked at the bushes in poundland and I think some were a bit sad looking. (they always look sad but even more so I thought) Maybe they`ve been stored somewhere unsuitable whilst the shop was refurbished. So choose carefully. The blackcurrant bushes were coming into tiny buds and quite strong if you can get to them soon enough and look after them whilst the next weeks cold weather passes.

QD have onion and shallot sets at 99p a bag which are always successful, and flower bulbs at 2 bags for a fiver.

I love the cheap shops this time of year.

Col

I "accidentally" :-[ ::) popped into QD on my way past and their "3 sticks in a bag for £1.99" fruit canes are in: black and redcurrants, gooseberries and raspberries, and named varieties too! couldn't help myself and now have 3 more raspberries, 'Glen Clova', as well as the stuff I got from Poundland a little while ago, which actually is doing really well in my spare room – plenty of buds on everything so I'm very pleased ;D
now all I need is good planting weather this weekend ::)

Kea

• Hectare
« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2007, 16:35:04 »
The problem is you buy these nice cheap plants from the nice warm shop then what do you do with them? Can't put them outside my non gardening OH is not happy with all these plants hanging around inside for the next few months waiting for the weather to warm up he barely tolerates the house plants. I have enough trouble with keeping them in the light he keeps moving them to dark places where they can't cause condensation. Can't get it into his head that some things don't tolerate being moved about.

Columbus

• Hectare
    • A Duel of Delight and Desperation Index page
« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2007, 17:31:04 »
Good timing norfolklass I can feel a shopping trip coming on.  :)

Kea, the plants should be in a semi-dormant stage and as long as they can be
protected from the worst of the weather they should be ok in any odd corner outdoors. If they get too warm indooors they will put on lots of leggy growth or if they are too wet and cold outdoors they will rot.

They will rest a while longer if they are kept cool and dry.

You can plant them if your soil is well drained or temporarily pot them up if they are really trying to grow and your soil is too heavy. An unheated greenhouse or potting shed is Ok whilst the ground is frozen. Certainly better than a shop shelf.

I don`t think I`ve ever had a stick-in-a-bag fail to grow. I think I have over 20 of all kinds.

Col

... I am warmed by winter sun and by the light in your eyes.
I am refreshed by the rain and the dew
And by thoughts of you...

Kea

• Hectare
« Reply #24 on: January 30, 2007, 17:33:21 »
Mine are having a brief rest in the garage before going outside so acclimatise them. I know it's dark in the garage but it's a short visit. The cranberry wasn't looking very dormant. When I move them outdoors i will wrap in fleece.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal