Author Topic: Potato mania ?/First crops  (Read 4129 times)

Ricado

• Half Acre
Potato mania ?/First crops
« on: January 11, 2007, 20:06:55 »
Wow it seems everyone has gone potato mad !  Can anyone explain why?

I wouldnt have said they would be the first thing off the blocks as it were.  Dont make the mistake of putting them in too early - the ground will be too cold and you risk having them frosted off - ive done it myself.

By all means take some of your seed and do the earlies in pots in the greenhouse.

Ill be getting stuck into planting out broad beans, onions and shallots, and sowing crops in modules inside before i even consider looking at potatoes.

What are your first crops
growing, growing, growing, growing, growing ...sleeping

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
Re: Potato mania ?/First crops
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2007, 20:11:32 »
Much the same Ricado, wouldn't dream of putting spuds in the ground until Easter.
 ;D

triffid

• Hectare
  • Escaped... usually to my plot in NW London :)
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2007, 20:17:57 »
I don't think folks are planning to plant right now; it's just that if you leave it too late to buy your seed spuds you may not have the choice of varieties.  :)

Plus, there's lots of potato days coming up!

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2007, 20:36:50 »
I think we're all suffering from rain overload, we've not got our spuds yet, possibly get the very first earlies for the ploy this week, planting broad beans, onions and some spring onions this week, just got itchy planting fingers  :D

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2007, 18:20:38 »
Purchased mine today.
 1st    Accent
 2nd   Kestrel
 Main  Pink Fir Apple

Saddad Easter sounds a bit late ?
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

saddad

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2007, 19:04:09 »
I'm in Derby and a long way from the sea... well by UK standards so we can get late frosts... it works for me. I was brought up at 800' up in the pennines and thus take any Plant in March with a large pinch of salt!
 ;D

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2007, 19:34:51 »
So do I. The only thing I put in that early is broadies. Last year, I found that April plantings were pretty dodgy. I'm going to be fleecing and cloching like mad this spring.

PAULW

• Acre
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2007, 20:27:59 »
Down here is sunny Dorset I have been putting my spuds in in mid to late Feb, I then mound then up and they are in the ground for about a month before the shoots start to show,

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2007, 20:49:29 »
End of feb for me, if the frosts have finished,but I think it was later last year. :) :)
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

saddad

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2007, 22:01:15 »
I remember snow fell every day for the first week of May '79.... it had gone by dinner time but came back each night...
 :o

watkin girl

• Not So New ...
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2007, 22:08:49 »
i know ive gone potato mad this year. After having my first attempt at growing them last year and it being succesful, I wanted to grow more varieties this year. I ordered mine way back in October. But after hearing so many good things about all different varierties, I now have to wait until next year to try other ones because i have not got room for any more, otherwise i would grow about 8 different potatoes. There no better feeling then harvesting the first potatoes it's like hidden tresure and no better taste either.

Ricado

• Half Acre
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2007, 22:23:49 »
One potato that i would reccomend is the golden wonder.  I know its a crisp potato, which is why i chose it because i knew it would roast well.  And it did, excellent !

It seemed a shame to peel the skin off, it resembles that of a russet apple, so i tried roasting some with the skin on, they were good too !  Roll on spring and planting time !

I use vegetable oil, and make sure you part boil them first, then shake them after draining to roughen the sides and you cant go wrong.
growing, growing, growing, growing, growing ...sleeping

saddad

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2007, 22:26:33 »
I've tried it a couple of times but it doesn't like my heavy soil. Now Arran Victory thereis a great potato (on my soil anyway!)
 ;D

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2007, 09:01:14 »
First year on my allotment, so no idea what is going to do well or potential problems yet. I'm going to grow a row of several different varieties and see what happens!   ;D
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2007, 09:19:28 »
 I'm afraid I still get excited about getting my seeds and plants ready for the spring. It doesn't mean that you have to put them in. It's just nice to have something to go mad about. (even if it is bloomin taters)lol
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

Rose.mary

• Acre
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2007, 10:00:47 »
I will hang on till the end of March before planting mine. I keep thinking back to last year and the frosts we had until May. Also the cold spell at the end of May did not do my sweetcorn any good.
I am reading your posts about planting this and that,and I am nearly jumping up and down trying to hold back a bit longer :'(.  I don't think it will do any harm to wait a bit.

Rosemary

saddad

• Hectare
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2007, 10:22:24 »
In Halifax... you know where I'm coming from then! I was brought up in Rossendale (just beyond  Todmorden if you don't travel that way!)
 ;D

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2007, 10:50:24 »
Hope this amuses you all
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

Rose.mary

• Acre
« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2007, 12:31:43 »
saddad - I am just on my way to Gordon Riggs to see if their potatoes are in yet, so I will be going through Tod.
I used to do a lot of walking around the Tod an Hebden Bridge area. That was before I discovered allotmenteering. Oh happy times!!

Rosemary

tilts

• Acre
  • Boom Boom boom Boom Esso blue!
« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2007, 12:55:49 »
I have just come home for lunch having spent some time at the plot. I have a problem if someone can help..... left two rows of different  spuds in not for any particular reason, but didn't think that there would be problem, however just dug up expecting one or two would have rotted even tho' it hasn't been very wet down here in the south, some are, some have obviously had some sort of worm, some are crisp on the outside but eaten away on the inside and the majority have started to sprout.  Question:  can i eat them?
Tread softly or you'll tread on my dreams.....Yeats

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal