Author Topic: Poor Lottie  (Read 1953 times)

LauraB

• Half Acre
  • West Bromwich
Poor Lottie
« on: January 08, 2007, 20:14:37 »
I chose my allotment plot a couple of weeks before Christmas and went for the largest plot, despite the fact it was at the bottom of the site and therefore in partial shade for part of the day.

I've been today to find the plot is a swimming pool, absolutely sodden. I know the weather is rather wet, but my plot is far wetter than the others - drowning in fact. It seems to have the run-off from the other plots and the neighbouring field too.

Would it be possible to switch plots, do you think? (Presuming that the other one that I was offered is still available?). Would you switch, or persevere? I haven't done anything much to the plot yet.

I feel bad for having second thoughts about my choice, but I'm worried that it will regularly be waterlogged and I'll have put lots of work in for nowt.

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
Re: Poor Lottie
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2007, 20:32:13 »
If you feel so disheartened & the plot is so bad, swap if you can before you sow all your crops or do anymore preparation. If you decided you wanted a bigger plot later, you can always ask for a swap to a larger site after you have managed on the smaller one for a year or two.

Speak to your neighbours and ask them if your flooding is a regular occurrence. I know some people work in similar plots by building raised beds.  I cant give you advice from personal experience - only my opinion. I am sure some members have been in your predicament who could give a bit better information. Good luck with whatever you decide. How about some piccies of your swamp
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

LauraB

• Half Acre
  • West Bromwich
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2007, 20:41:05 »
I am quite badly disheartened.  ::)

You're right about asking for a bigger plot in future. Maybe I could take another one on if I needed more room in future years.

When I signed up for the plot, one of the neighbours mentioned that the plot flooded once, but I heard 'once' and forgot about it. I guess I should have asked how often really. Raised beds might be an option but not within the next few months.

Curryandchips

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2007, 20:59:52 »
Again, don't get too dismayed, the recent wet weather has shown water retention problems everywhere, even our allotment lane is flooded, and that drains directly into a stream about 8ft below the lane. The decision about changing plots must lie with you, but if you decide to keep the current one, you can improve drainage by digging a trench around the edge of the plot, this will divert water away. That may sound like a big task, but it is not that bad really, if done in stages.

Whatever you decide, keep smiling, and good luck  :D

Derek
The impossible is just a journey away ...

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2007, 21:14:34 »
....you can improve drainage by digging a trench around the edge of the plot, this will divert water away. That may sound like a big task, but it is not that bad really, if done in stages....

Good idea. If you do this, you may want to put a wooden edging of wooden planks or something to stop the inside edge from subsiding.
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal