Author Topic: woody parsnips  (Read 2586 times)

umshamrock

• Half Acre
woody parsnips
« on: January 05, 2007, 07:40:20 »
hi,
some of my parsnips are woody! they appear normal but after cooked, the centers are sorta like wood, with splinters and everything. not all of them are like this, but maybe 1/3 are. i grew them in the normal way, but never watered. My soil is rich and a little clay-ey. help!
thanks!
shamrock
"How inappropriate to call this planet Earth,
             when clearly it is Ocean"
                             - Arthur C. Clarke

Tinkie_Bear

• Acre
  • D'oh !!
Re: woody parsnips
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2007, 07:53:20 »
Some of my big'uns were like this too but after I quartered them I just took out a slice of the middle leaving the nice outer flesh.  I too would like to know why this happened.

Thanks

Helen

jennym

• Hectare
  • Essex/Suffolk border
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2007, 09:40:20 »
Think it happens when the parsnips are starting to grow again, they are biennial and if you left them in the ground and tried to dig them up next summer, you'd find the root sort of shrinks in size and gets very woody indeed, and the plant sends out flowers. It must be the plants way of making itself more solid and stable so it can survive to the stage of flowering/reproduction.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2007, 17:45:30 »
That's it exactly Jenny.... we follow Helen's advice!
 ;D

Laney

• Quarter Acre
  • Clueless in South Essex
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2007, 18:27:01 »
I've even had them like this from the supermarket a few times. :-X  I just cut out the woody part.  I am addicted to Parsnips, can't wait to try my own this year.
Blog

The main purpose of holding children's parties is to remind yourself that there are children more awful than your own.

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2007, 19:33:52 »
It is also to do with the length of time they are in the ground. They should be ok for now, but some may be affected already. Still ok to eat for now. The longer you leave them in the woodier they will get.
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal