Author Topic: What should I grow?  (Read 927 times)

man of the land

• Not So New ...
  • a handsome boy, now you don't see that everyday!
What should I grow?
« on: December 31, 2006, 15:28:07 »
Hi everyone

I have a problem

i don't know what to sow there is so much to chose from!

does anyone have any suggestions?

thanks

from man of the land  ???
if you see someone handsome it would be me!

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
Re: What should I grow?
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2006, 15:42:41 »
Good advice on A4a was to start at the other end - what veg do you love to eat, fresh off the plant (e.g. lettuce, sweetcorn, carrots, early spuds, purple sprahtin', baby broadies) and/or expensively (e.g. globe artichokes, aubergines, fresh tomatoes, celeriac, borlotti beans)?

If space is short, what veg will give good value per m2? I have two plots, but even so don't grow maincrop spuds - a man down the road grows and sells for £2.50 per half paper sack - or brussels sprouts - can buy those for £1/stalk at the farm shop. I'd rather have more squash and tomatoes :D

If you calculate bed or row spacing, you can work out how many of each veg - carrots etc. you might want in a typical week, and if you keep notes you'll know how to adjust for next year. Remember you'll be using some root veg from store until March, winter squash til later.

For veg varieties, ask your neighbours what they sow - with luck, they will have settled on varieties that do well in your area.

If you sow successional crops of e.g. broadies, carrots, beetroot, lettuce, chicory, Oriental veg, and cauli (All the Year Round) every two weeks from March to August, you'll have basic baby veg most of the year :)

If you want to try a few seeds, ask in the Seed Swop threads, someone is sure to have what you want ::)

if you grow what you love to eat, you won't grow far wrong ;)
« Last Edit: December 31, 2006, 15:59:00 by supersprout »

Curryandchips

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2006, 15:56:12 »
I only have one small additional comment to add to supersprout's excellent advice ... be prepared to accept failures, it happens to everyone (unless it IS just me, and other people are just being kind  :D). Some crops are more susceptible than others, eg parsnips are very hit and miss on germination. However, most vegetables are not difficult to grow, the skill comes later when trying to get bigger or tastier !

PS I am still at the novice stage  :)
The impossible is just a journey away ...

louise stella

• Hectare
  • We're half way there Mum!!!!!
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2007, 21:50:29 »
Choose the stuff you really like - and which is expensive - or just isn't the same unless it's really fresh!

Then try something for fun! 

If you have a lot of weeds - try something like squash or pumpkin which will drown the little buggers out!

Have fun!

Louise
Grow yer bugger grow!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal