Author Topic: DONT FORGET BBC2  (Read 18733 times)

angle shades

• Hectare
  • Lincoln,Lincolnshire
Re: DONT FORGET BBC2
« Reply #80 on: January 06, 2007, 18:35:47 »
:) well said /shades x
grow your own way

redimp

• Hectare
  • Colonia Domitiana Lindensium, Flavia Caesariensis
« Reply #81 on: January 06, 2007, 18:38:33 »
I am not flaming - just staing it how I see it.  I have been on this board for two years now and have seen a lot of griping about how there are no veg programmes on TV (a lot by some (but not all, scousers) by people who have posted here) and now there is one, people are just moaning about it.  Some people on here have nothing good to say about anything that does not fit into their own narrow view of how things should be.  I do not share that, and see nothing wrong with saying things how I see them.  I do not include you in the narrow mindedc set YP.
Lotty @ Lincoln (Lat:53.24, Long:-0.52, HASL:30m)

http://www.abicabeauty

Merry Tiller

• Hectare
« Reply #82 on: January 06, 2007, 18:41:10 »
So what are you suggesting? We should take what we're given however crap it is? Tough, if I don't like something I don't like it

redimp

• Hectare
« Reply #83 on: January 06, 2007, 18:44:53 »
But, it is not aimed at us, it is aimed at non-growers (it's in the title). :-\ Tis not for us to like or not like.  Noone will bother making programmes about veg growing if all that happens is poeple slag them off.  It happened with the allotment programmes as well.  It happens everytime GW grow some veggies.  Why do they bother?
« Last Edit: January 06, 2007, 18:48:33 by redclanger »

angle shades

• Hectare
  • Lincoln,Lincolnshire
« Reply #84 on: January 06, 2007, 18:48:20 »
:) I love CK, but the only part of this programme I enjoyed was her excitement at digging up her spuds,thats how I act ;D

everything else was a disappointment , having read kitchen garden magazine this month I expected more.

I will still watch next week as I like the presenter :)/shades x

grow your own way

redimp

• Hectare
« Reply #85 on: January 06, 2007, 18:50:45 »
I would have liked more from the programme but I recognise it for what it was.  As you said, you read KG.  The programme was aimed at people who have never heard of KG.

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #86 on: January 06, 2007, 18:59:34 »
I wonder if any of the BBC workers have looked at this site - at this thread would be good. Would be interesting for their view on here.

Just hope the documentary getting done by one of the satelite channels, UK gardening I think, is better than this.
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

cowpie

• Not So New ...
« Reply #87 on: January 06, 2007, 19:07:19 »
I saw it and thought it was brilliant! It was beautifully shot and it's bound to get more people growing their own.

They may have been a little thin on the detail, but the trouble with vegetable cultivation is it can be frightfully nerdy - e.g. http://www.rhs.org.uk/vegetables/crops/tomatoVideo.asp. Although I would love the BBC to give me some useful information on the habits of the pea moth and whether lime can prevent onion white rot, this wouldn't make especially gripping prime time television.

Perhaps it made growing vegetables look a little easier than it actually is, but I'm sure the series will get lots of people outdoors, doing and eating new things, and this can't be a bad thing.

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #88 on: January 06, 2007, 19:11:18 »
what I worry about, redclanger, will some people be put off airing their views because they'll be 'told off',

redimp

• Hectare
« Reply #89 on: January 06, 2007, 19:12:31 »
Perhaps , I should have just posted here what I posted elsewhere:
In response to the question:
Was it any good?
Yes - nothing earth shattering on the advice front (well we do all know it all  ;D ) but she was infectiously enthusiastic - good girly whoops and giggles when she dug her first RDoY, and a smattering of Nick Drake thrown in  :)

LauraB

• Half Acre
  • West Bromwich
Re: Read it while you can, it won't last long.
« Reply #90 on: January 06, 2007, 19:13:36 »
It was a programme aimed at beginners, not experts.  I thought it was a good entertaining programme that would appeal to non-growers and was a pleasant programme to watch for those of us who do grow.  There is no pleasing some people.  Always moaning that there are no programmes about veg growing, and when there is, all you do is slag it off.  What do you want - list it here and it might find it's way onto UK Living because the depth we go into, just will not appeal to a large enough number of the viewing public to warrant time on a peak channel at a peak time.  I have deleted this bit as it was typed in the heat of the moment but the general view remains.

Read it while you can, it won't last long.

Well, I am a virtual non grower (have had the allotment for three weeks, and haven't planted anything, ever) and watched it with my husband, who is also a non-grower, and we both thought it was disappointing. We were totally uninspired. For us, the programme didn't seem to have much content - as someone else said, it seemed like one long trailer.

I don't have my head stuck where you suggest, and I do live in the real world. I don't think the show's producers do, though. How real is it to feature two gardeners with large weedless south facing gardens, the money to splash on a lovely big greenhouse, lovely soil... if anything, that makes vegetable growing seem even more out of my reach

I realise that they couldn't have gone into the sort of detail that an experienced grower would like, but there was no detail at all.

Curryandchips

• Hectare
« Reply #91 on: January 06, 2007, 19:15:46 »
Last year's huge success solved those with a gorgeous variety

I gather you are referring to Fuseau ... ? This is my first year with them, but a definite thumbs up, I have still to try them roasted, but the stir fries are an absolute winner ...

Derek
The impossible is just a journey away ...

RobinOfTheHood

• Hectare
  • South Yorks
Re: Read it while you can, it won't last long.
« Reply #92 on: January 06, 2007, 19:45:36 »
t was a programme aimed at beginners, not experts.  I thought it was a good entertaining programme that would appeal to non-growers and was a pleasant programme to watch for those of us who do grow.  There is no pleasing some people.  Always moaning that there are no programmes about veg growing, and when there is, all you do is slag it off.  What do you want - list it here and it might find it's way onto UK Living because the depth we go into, just will not appeal to a large enough number of the viewing public to warrant time on a peak channel at a peak time.  I really do think a large number of people on this board need to drag their heads out of their own arses and live in the real world.  Not their idealised view of middle Britain Angry

Read it while you can, it won't last long.

I wanted to like it, RC, but it was, basically, crap.

I will watch next week in the hope that it will get better, but if I was a non-grower right now, it would probably have had the effect of making me run a million miles from ever doing it.

God knows there are loads of this type of programme about ( for anyone that has Sky), and they vary immensely in their quality (eg Victorian Kitchen Garden vs Garden Rivals), but I was hoping that CK and her down to earth style would make this one of the better ones.

How wrong I was.

Is she not really down to earth, or was she told to do a Jade Goody before she went on camera? Either way, I just found her annoying (and yes, I know this is a personal thing). No one could be that delighted with what she harvested. Even her husband seemed a little embarrassed with her 'enthusiasm'.

And the camera work? 5th grade student stuff. No use to man nor beast. How did they make the beds again?   ???

And it didn't really give one overriding reason to grow your own veg!!!!

Did it tell anyone how to grow anything? Not really, unless you want spuds you need to weigh in grams.

And Middle Britain Angry? Get yer own head out of your arse. I'm sorry if you had something to do with the programme (sorry for you that is) but if you did, tough. It was poor.
And I really, really hope it gets better...... ::)

And sorry, YP, for responding to the bait. Just had to be done.

PS Do you think Titchmarsh would have come up with this standard of stuff? Or Geoff Hamilton?

I could go on.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2007, 19:48:07 by RobinOfTheHood »
I hoe, I hoe, then off to work I go.

http://tapnewswire.com/

RSJK

• Hectare
  • its great to be on the allotment
« Reply #93 on: January 06, 2007, 20:10:20 »
RC you say you are just stating as you see it, well is that what everyone else on here is doing, as for it being for beginners who have not grown anything before she did not show how to grow anything, only potatoes which most people on here would disagree to the distant she planted them at.
Richard       If it's not worth having I will have it

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #94 on: January 06, 2007, 20:16:05 »
we had some new allotment holders at the AGM this morning, they watched it in the hopes of learning something, luckily, we have Eric. :)

Merry Tiller

• Hectare
« Reply #95 on: January 06, 2007, 20:52:55 »
Now I'm confused, should I as a veg grower have boycotted this programme because it wasn't AIMED at me?

RobinOfTheHood

• Hectare
  • South Yorks
« Reply #96 on: January 06, 2007, 20:55:30 »
Now I'm confused, should I as a veg grower have boycotted this programme because it wasn't AIMED at me?

No, you should have been employed as a pundit.     ;D ;D ;D
I hoe, I hoe, then off to work I go.

http://tapnewswire.com/

redimp

• Hectare
« Reply #97 on: January 06, 2007, 21:01:07 »
RC you say you are just stating as you see it, well is that what everyone else on here is doing, as for it being for beginners who have not grown anything before she did not show how to grow anything, only potatoes which most people on here would disagree to the distant she planted them at.
The gist I got from the Beeb website is that it is different veg each week - think I would have preferred a season by season basis for a variety of veg.  And no MT, not boyocott it, watch it (or not) knowing that it is not going to teach you anything new.  TBH, there are so many different views about different ways of growing things (see the raised bed thread) that a programme a day for a year would not cover it all.  In an introductory programme about the benefits and pleasure of growing veg over six programmes, we are never going to get the detail we want.  Sometimes, you just have to be happy with what you get and hope that it sways a few people to join us.  Get the intricacies from books and websites - that is why we are all here anyway isn't it?  Does anybody think the contents of this site could be condensed into 6 half hours?

mc55

• Hectare
  • Bernard at the cinema ! (Sheffield, S Yorks)
« Reply #98 on: January 06, 2007, 21:15:59 »
hmm, well I consider myself a beginner and I didn't pick up any useful tips from the programme. 

I did quite like the old cine style camera work, but hoped to gain more knowledge about preparation for planting, different techniques, tips etc. 

I see nothing wrong with expessing disappointment with a programme's content - it is called Grow Your Own Veg after all and therefore I think it would be perfectly reasonable to learn some of the techniques involved.

kitten

• Hectare
  • Lincolnshire
« Reply #99 on: January 06, 2007, 21:37:05 »
Well i've just watched the first prog (having recorded it last night while we went out for a few bevvies  ;D), and i actually quite enjoyed it! I must admit to being a bit anxious having read this thread before watching it, but was pleasantly suprised. I didn't like the music, it was totally unnecessary and v annoying, and often too loud to hear what she was saying properly but it didn't totally spoil the prog as far as i'm concerned.

Perhaps the idea of the series is to spark an interest in people, who will then look in books and on forums such as this for further info & advice as to how to do it successfully? If so, then i think it will have achieved something if not turning us all into fully fledged professional veg growers inside six episodes.

I think it's healthy for everyone to have their own opinion, and to be able to exchange them on a forum such as this, after all 'it wouldn't do if we were all the same' as my granma says! But seriously, i think it's important to agree to disagree sometimes and not resort to trading insults etc, so let's have an amnesty now and all live happily ever after?  :P x
Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal