Author Topic: kiwi fruit  (Read 1691 times)

ACE

• Hectare
kiwi fruit
« on: December 18, 2006, 22:12:22 »
I have a long trellis that has white jasmine, clematis and a kiwi vine growing through it. I had to give it a very serious trim today and found loads of kiwi fruits hiding in the thick of it.

I have picked all the fruits and they are still a bit on the hard side, so I put them in a couple of apple crates with some bananas to see if they will ripen off.

Has anybody else grown these fruits and have they tried ripening them with any success.

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
Re: kiwi fruit
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2006, 22:43:48 »
all i have heard is that its very difficult to get them to fruit in the country so kudos!

Merry Tiller

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2006, 23:04:33 »
I dug my Kiwi plant up this autumn, all I ever got was a load of small hard fruit that never ripened :'(

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2006, 23:05:42 »
I keep toying with the idea of planting one... so perhaps not!
 ???

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2006, 15:32:11 »
I don't think it is a good idea to plant one for the fruit. I grow mine for its beautiful scented flowers and as a good screen on a trellis. The fruit this year is a bonus.

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2006, 18:07:15 »
I have passion fruit growing in my garden, I'm not really into flowers but the white and purple flowers are very striking but can you eat the fruit it looks very edible but I was told the garden growers are poisnious, not kiwi sorry I was just curious.   :D :D :D :D ;D ;D :P
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2006, 19:37:00 »
do not eat, they are horrible. Made the same mistake myself years ago.

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2006, 15:52:18 »
Cheers  Ace.   ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2006, 07:43:48 »
Just to let you know, the banana trick has worked, checked them this morning and at least 70% are ready to eat. Too many to get through, so next time it will be a few at a time as I understand they will keep unripe for quite a few months.

Never mind they will not be wasted, I shall be making smoothies for brekkie and some will be starting of the rumtopf pot for next xmas.

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2006, 09:07:06 »
Good Lord! An unexpected bonus of a very hot summer, eh? Nice one ACE 8)

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2006, 10:06:24 »
I've got great hopes for our kiwi fruit, grown from seed last year, like triffids in the poly now, supposed to be banana flavoured so will see this year  :D

blight

• Half Acre
« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2006, 22:11:27 »
@ace,
I´ve been growing kiwi for the last ten years or so (southern germany).variety is called "hayward".
I pick mine as late as possible- before the first frosts though. I store them in the cellar, cool but frrostfree. they keep till april. If you want to speed up ripening, take some and store together with apples at room temperature.
they benefit from a prolonged warm and sunny autumn.

Amazin

• Hectare
  • N W London
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2006, 00:34:30 »
cornykev,

The passion fruit you're growing sounds like passiflora caerulea. The fruits are definitely edible - but they're just so insipid and tasteless that they're worth more as an ornamental feature - the seeds, however, are really crunchy - and won't break your fillings like other seeds can!
Lesson for life:
1. Breathe in     2. Breathe out     3. Repeat

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal