Author Topic: Am I too late?  (Read 1536 times)

dirtyfingernails

• Half Acre
Am I too late?
« on: December 18, 2006, 13:32:28 »
to sow garlic and broad beans? life's taken over a bit so haven't been able to get to the lottie for a couple of months - have I missed the boat this year or is it worth sticking them in to see what happens? I live in Kent and so far we've only had a couple of frosts

thanks
DF

moonbells

• Hectare
  • Growing up
    • Moonbells' allotment diary
Re: Am I too late?
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2006, 13:49:02 »
No and No ;D

Both can go in up to March, though for beans, warming up the soil beforehand with milk bottle cloches is suggested by T&M :)

I don't grow broad beans (one of two veg I still can't eat - the other's Brussels sprouts!) but usually folk round my plots sow in the autumn, and if something eats the seedlings, they follow it up with another attempt around about potato planting time.

moonbells
Diary of my Chilterns lottie (NEW LOCATION!): http://www.moonbells.com/allotment/allotment.html

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2006, 15:16:27 »
Should be OK as long as the soil is workable, also onion sets if there still on sale and I'm sure you can still put rhubarb in but I might be corrected.  :D :D :D :D ;D ;D ;D ;D :-*
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

Larkspur

• Acre
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2006, 15:24:07 »
I hope you can still put rhubarb in cornykev 'cause I planted a couple last week ::). But yes you surely can still plant rhubarb ;).

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2006, 18:18:19 »
planted ours up and mulched with a layer of straw in case the roots needed it  :)

Lady Cosmos

• Acre
  • Lady of the dunes
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2006, 20:04:21 »
You still can grow garlic now. It needs a good drainage soil, no wet feet, and it needs a cool winter to develope the cloves.
I never grow broad beans in autumn, I always wait till after the winter, because I loose too many plants in winter (mice, I think).

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2006, 07:45:17 »
Put garlic in ASAP; plant broad beans around March. Thee are specific varieties (Aquadulce Claudia) which are good for overwintering but I've never tried it.

dirtyfingernails

• Half Acre
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2006, 11:31:20 »
thanks everyone - I think I'll just sow them and see how they go.

went up to the lottie on Christmas eve and we had carrots, leeks and sprouts (first we've grown) with our Christmas dinner - fantastic! I'd been getting a bit stressed/guilty about not tending/visiting my plot for the last couple of months but needn't have worried - a few hours will bring it back under control and it was so lovely to be able to harvest the fruits of our labour.

happy festivities everyone

xx

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2006, 11:55:01 »
Just going out to pull a swede and a winter radish for lunch...
 ;D

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2006, 12:38:40 »
Got me spuds, shallots, cabbage and parsnips cut and ready for din dins.  ;D ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2006, 15:40:00 »
The lunch got put back so I was ordered out to get some Chichory (SugarLoaf) and Endive for a salad... which was very good the cooked meal will be later!
 ::)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal