Author Topic: My Birthday Pressy  (Read 2380 times)

wahaj

• Hectare
  • prisoner
My Birthday Pressy
« on: December 16, 2006, 22:46:13 »
Hey,

went to my sister's today and she gave me my birthday present. These cacti! bless her, i mentioned to her that i'm converting an old fish tank into a terrarium so she got me these. I've also got about 17 cacti seeds that have germinated at home but they're like tiny right now. so i should have loads of cacti to play with.

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
Re: My Birthday Pressy
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2006, 11:07:55 »
Watch where you sit??

OllieC

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Nairn
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2006, 11:34:14 »
Yes, don't sit in the fish tank.

wahaj

• Hectare
  • prisoner
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2006, 14:42:18 »
lol. one of them has hooked spikes. you if you touch it, then you cant get it off without ripping off a bit of plant with it.

Trixiebelle

• Hectare
  • You looking at me? Huh?
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2006, 14:58:08 »
I had a massive, spikey, round cactus once. Got one of the spines stuck in my finger and it went black  :( Nasty piece of work it was.

Do you know anything about the 'normal' Christmas/Easter flowering cactii Wahaj? I inherited my grandad's (so it must be at least 20yrs old) and it has never, ever flowered. Maybe it isn't a flowering cactus ... and maybe I've just answered my own question  ::) I'll shut up now!
The Devil Invented Dandelions!

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2006, 16:46:00 »
How often do you water it? These are epiphytes which should have a well-drained compost with plenty of humus, and regular watering.

wahaj

• Hectare
  • prisoner
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2006, 17:11:27 »
was that a question to me robert or trixie?

trixie keep them well watered like robert said and give them rich compost. i would give them tomato feed from the end of summer onwards....abuot once a fortnight.

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2006, 19:48:18 »

Do you know anything about the 'normal' Christmas/Easter flowering cactii Wahaj? I inherited my grandad's (so it must be at least 20yrs old) and it has never, ever flowered. Maybe it isn't a flowering cactus ... and maybe I've just answered my own question  ::) I'll shut up now!

I think I read somewhere that these plants need 12 hours of darkness for 8 weeks before you want them to flower.  Think I've got that right.

G x
'The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.'

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2006, 20:15:42 »
I never gave mine any period of darkness, and they always flowered reliably.

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2006, 20:16:59 »
Do you leave your lights on 24/7 then Robert?   ;)

G x
« Last Edit: December 17, 2006, 20:18:43 by Georgie »
'The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.'

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2006, 20:19:35 »
No, I just had them in an almost unheated greenhouse. I had a small heater I used when frost threatened, and that was all.

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2006, 20:22:20 »
In which case I would assume they were getting at least 12 hours of darkness over the winter months weren't they?

G x

Carol

• Hectare
  • Scottish Borders, Berwickshire
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2006, 21:12:35 »
Christmas/Easter flowering Cactus dont need any darkness.  Mine sit on a window sill all the time facing south.  I water occasionally in the summer and start feeding it from Sept onwards and hey presto beautiful flowers.  See pic in the Gallery started by EmmaJ.   ;) ;) ;)

wahaj

• Hectare
  • prisoner
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2006, 21:51:11 »
i made the terrarium today. it looks a bit weird....but i'm sure it'll all settle over time.

jennym

• Hectare
  • Essex/Suffolk border
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2006, 07:14:54 »
...Do you know anything about the 'normal' Christmas/Easter flowering cactii Wahaj? I inherited my grandad's (so it must be at least 20yrs old) and it has never, ever flowered. ...

Can only advise based on experience of mine and my Mum's christmas cactus. I leave mine outside all summer and as far into the autumn/winter as possible. I rarely water it - and I mean rarely, if it gets watered once a month that's dead lucky! It usually gets one feed in spring, and watered May/June/July and then I forget. Mine flowers profusely. Mum however, tends hers lovingly, waters it about once a fortnight, feeds it with Baby bio or something, and never gets flowers either. So I think you have to be mean to them  ;D

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2006, 07:39:38 »
Mine used to get the odd bit of water in the winter (desert cacti got none), then they all got masses over the summer.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal