Author Topic: Broad Beans  (Read 4394 times)

mc55

• Hectare
  • Bernard at the cinema ! (Sheffield, S Yorks)
Broad Beans
« on: December 10, 2006, 16:00:40 »
hello, how are your broadies ? I thought the voles had scoffed mine, as last week only one had broken the surface, so I was really pleased yesterday when I visited to see that they are now all poking thir heads through the surface ... its taken them 4 weeks to surface !!

redimp

• Hectare
  • Colonia Domitiana Lindensium, Flavia Caesariensis
Re: Broad Beans
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2006, 16:08:59 »
Mine took three weeks in pots - I transferred them to the plot yesterday and have just been up there.  Despite there being quite a sharp frost last night, they look very happy in their new position. :)  Have just sown some aquadulce in the pots as I did not quite fill my two rows - the first lot were Bunyards.
Lotty @ Lincoln (Lat:53.24, Long:-0.52, HASL:30m)

http://www.abicabeauty

cleo

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2006, 16:25:45 »
I`m not the earliest to show up in this cold weather either but the broad beans seem happy enough under baby poly tunnels :)

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2006, 16:34:29 »
Mine are 4inches high and I think doing all right. :-\ :-\ ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

daisymay

• Hectare
  • Bedfordshire
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2006, 16:01:14 »
ours took about 6 weeks to do anything - are about 2 inches high now - planted some peas at the same time and these are doing about the same too.... they are not covered at all...

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2006, 16:40:21 »

Mine aren't up yet...
 ???

Columbus

• Hectare
    • A Duel of Delight and Desperation Index page
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2006, 16:56:26 »
Hi mc55, hi all :-)

I have the opposite problem, I`m worried that mine are too tall, about 4 inches to a foot. I have them supported by string fences and protected by a double thickness debris net fence to keep the wind off.

I think I planted too soon and the warm october brought them on too fast but I had the soil ready, seeds at hand and time to plant them. So I got on with the job.

I think they are likely to be damaged in a storm or they will be rocked around and the slugs will get to the bases next spring. I will earth up any that get through the winter and go for an early planting nex year.

Col
... I am warmed by winter sun and by the light in your eyes.
I am refreshed by the rain and the dew
And by thoughts of you...

autumn leaf

• Quarter Acre
  • So much to do and so little time!
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2006, 17:45:23 »
Hi folks

Planted mine in October.  They look superb right now - all about 18inches - 2ft tall but from what you all say this is probably a bad thing and they will be zapped by wind, frost, slugs, etc.  I have got them staked and will wrap them round with horticultural fleece when the frost comes.  Will this be enough I wonder to get them through the winter?  Probably not so I will be making an early sowing too.  The garlic and onions are flourishing too but the green manure (mustard) that I planted on two beds back in October is looking very limp now.  Guess I will just dig it in when it gives up the ghost? :-\
Weeds? What weeds?

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2006, 17:46:09 »
Mine are still in their seed packet!  Spring sowing for me it seems!

Tulipa

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2006, 12:48:59 »
Just been to look at my broadies - I have 4 nice rows of holes and snapped off shoots - is this mice or pigeons?  At least I can now plant a spring variety and still have plenty of time! :(
« Last Edit: December 30, 2006, 13:11:53 by tulippa »

amanda21

• Acre
  • 40's the new 30 - right?
    • ...and I Hate Worms!
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2006, 13:20:04 »
Hi - back to the boards after a while (although I have still been reading on and off) and have just come back from a flying visit to my plot (too soggy to do anything).  My 2 rows of broad beans went in one week apart and the first row came up very quickly but the second are lagging behind and have one or two missing.  The first row are about 1-2 inches high and are still curled up.  Do I need to protect from animals, birds or elements?

Looking forward to the new year to put into practice all the helpful advice found on her over the past year.  I will have had my plot for a year come end of January so can't wait to get going again... :)
http://ihateworms.blogspot.com/  - Why then do I so want an allotment?

carloso

• Acre
  • sprouts gimmie wind
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2006, 13:57:09 »
i'm with you Ej Spring for me,

last year i was a little to keen and had a conservatiory full of plants

Needless to say the ban imposed by ones better half still stands !!! the only relent she has is that my chillis, Peppers and some Tom plants can only be started off in there !!!

carlos
another member of i forgot my password

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2006, 14:38:06 »
Mine have finally started to come through.... and we will be planting Red Epicure in Spring as well...
 ;D

miniroots

• Half Acre
  • Beautiful bolting
    • Random allotment pictures
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2006, 15:31:54 »
Might are a bit leggy too.  Probably because I started them at home?  Should have got them out into the cold frame as soon as germinated.  Or germinated them in the cold frame?

They're all surviving ok - planted out in November. The fleece is off them now - but I'll try to get it back on if a frost is forecast.  They've had to cope with some quite strong winds - I'm more worried about the peas - I'll be amazed if any see spring...

mc55

• Hectare
  • Bernard at the cinema ! (Sheffield, S Yorks)
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2006, 16:49:00 »
Just been to look at my broadies - I have 4 nice rows of holes and snapped off shoots - is this mice or pigeons?

Tulippa, mine have succumbed to some critters attention too - have lots of little holes next to the shoots which have been snapped / trimmed at ground level

valmarg

• Hectare
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2006, 18:57:01 »
Not sown any broad beans yet, but what is the consensus between white/green seeded beans.  My preference is for green beans as they tend to be sweeter, and have more taste, especially if picked very young.

Your opinions would be greatly appreciated!

Curryandchips

• Hectare
« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2006, 19:01:42 »
Not really thought about it much, my criteria have been for spring planting (autumn seeds getting eaten by mice) and availability. Currently, I have just bought 1kg of Masterpiece Green Longpod, which will probably last me two years ...

These are green, by the way :)

Derek
The impossible is just a journey away ...

Columbus

• Hectare
    • A Duel of Delight and Desperation Index page
« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2007, 20:10:18 »
Hi all,

As an update to my earlier post. A few did get bent and broken in the winds but I snapped them off completely at the break and I figure the stem will put out side shoots.
They came into flower before Christmas which I think is too too early ? but the stems are thick and they look strong so I think they will make a crop eventually.

Col

... I am warmed by winter sun and by the light in your eyes.
I am refreshed by the rain and the dew
And by thoughts of you...

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2007, 19:02:31 »
:) Mine are six/eight inches high but seemed to have stopped in the cold spells still haven't covered will check tomorrow, been away so better go and check on things.   :) :) :) :D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

autumn leaf

• Quarter Acre
  • So much to do and so little time!
« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2007, 19:23:10 »
Hi Col
My BBs are so tall I've tied them to canes as we've had lots of windy weather.  Mine also started to form flowers just before the cold snap before Christmas.  These suffered in the frost but I am hopeful that they will have another go in the spring.  I've got fleece around them at the moment - hope I'm not killing them with kindness!  We shall see. ???
autumn leaf
Weeds? What weeds?

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal