Author Topic: LOOKING FOR ON-GOING SUPPLY OF FREE PALLETS?  (Read 10514 times)

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
LOOKING FOR ON-GOING SUPPLY OF FREE PALLETS?
« on: December 07, 2006, 09:15:13 »
Our local Wyvale give them away - you only have to ask. The blue ones go back to the supplier but then they've got loads of others, always, that they have to pay to be taken away, so you're doing them a favour :o Only learned this yesterday from a friend who said he had to go to pick some up - wood for his outdoor fireplace. He says that when he first asked, they showed him where the rubbish for the tip was stored & told him to go along at any time & just help himself...he says that he asks each time as a courtesy..

So....try your nearest garden centre?

telboy

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
Re: LOOKING FOR ON-GOING SUPPLY OF FREE PALLETS?
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2006, 22:38:44 »
What 's the problem with Brum Freecycle?
Eskimo Nel was a great Inuit.

Hyacinth

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2006, 09:29:10 »
No probs with Brum Freecycle, TB, but pallets don't come up too frequently.It's also a very fast moving site & items on offer go extremely quickly.

As peeps here frequently say that they can't find pallets, my suggestion is to approach a GC wherever they live, not particularly Wyvales, which isn't a nationwide concern.  :)
« Last Edit: December 08, 2006, 09:31:18 by Alishka_Maxwell »

telboy

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2006, 21:27:39 »
I have a concern with 'Recycle'.
We have a local town one. I agree, stuff shifts at an alarming speed.
I reckon a lot on offer is grabbed for car boots. What do you think?
Eskimo Nel was a great Inuit.

MrsKP

• Hectare
  • Sunny Glasgow
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2006, 21:40:17 »
we have an industrial estate closeby us which houses a variety of ceramic tile suppliers.  we chose the outfit that had the largest pile of pallets outside and they have always said help yourselves.

they ask us to leave a particular brand (that they reuse) but, and like Lish's mate, I always ask out of politeness (Lil Miss Good Manners I am) but they've never let me down yet.  you can fit more in the back of a nissan sports than a fiesta, but you can still carry two or three at a time.   ;D
There's something happening every day  @ http://kaypeesplot.blogspot.com/ & http://kaypeeslottie.blogspot.com/

carrot-cruncher

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2006, 21:05:25 »
My local plumber gives them to me so they don't have to get rid of them.   They wait until they've got several then deliver them to me..

CC
"Grow you bugger, grow!!"

djbrenton

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2006, 07:49:49 »
There's a sign company near us that supplies a variety of items that would be disposed of otherwise.

1 Pallets, not just the regular sized ones but also 3m x 2m ones. Many people have built greenhouses / sheds entirely out of these.

2 Perspex. It's amazing how many large perspex signs they dispose of. Ideal for roofing. Again these can be up to 3m x 1m panels.

3 Boxes. Car number plates come in strong wooden boxes about 1.5m square and about 18inches high, These are now in use all over the site as raised beds.

There's also a fascia company which has piles of reclaimed guttering/downpipes etc which they're glad to get rid of.

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2006, 11:24:40 »
My OH has found a good local source at the local timber yard: they get MDF delivered on huge pallets conveniently 8' X 4' , guess what size my raised beds are.......! :)

I've also got two big compost bins and a small cold frame that OH constructed out of the bits left over. The timberyard was glad to get rid of them, so I'm guessing my Christmas present (shed) will be an interesting structure of various bits too! ;D
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2006, 16:45:29 »
Don't forget your site friends if you have any spares Deb!
 ;D

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2006, 17:11:12 »
I'll see what I can do......... ;)
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

jennym

• Hectare
  • Essex/Suffolk border
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2007, 23:51:32 »
Noticed that our local Topps Tiles have DOZENS of pallets outside, free for the taking. Evidently all their tiles are delivered in to them on pallets, and lots of customers don't take pallet loads, so they have loads that just get chucked.

Curryandchips

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2007, 09:33:12 »
We have a B&Q store which backs onto our allotments. Although they have a policy for returning pallets, including broken ones, they are more than happy for you to take any 'damaged whites'. Plasterboard pallets are great as they are either 6ft or 8ft long, I managed to build my whole shed through recycled pallet materials.
The impossible is just a journey away ...

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2007, 16:39:58 »
we used to get ours from a company that, if they didn't give them away, they BURNED them
unfortunately, the bloke who got them for us retired, but we've found another, smaller, supplier  :D

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal