Author Topic: Anyone know about keeping hens?  (Read 2448 times)

frogger

• Not So New ...
  • Tra la la
Anyone know about keeping hens?
« on: April 20, 2004, 18:48:06 »
Hi
Next week I am going to be receiving an Eglu chicken coop and two hens (http://www.omlet.co.uk/homepage/homepage.php)   :). It's for a 4week trial period, at least to start with. Does anyone have any top tips for a first time urban chicken keeper??

My particular worry is foxes. The manufacturers say the coop and run are fox proof but I am still bothered that I will get up one morning and find a sad pile of feathers! I saw a fox digging in my lawn the other night - they are bold as brass around here.

Many thanks
Frogger
« Last Edit: April 20, 2004, 18:55:52 by frogger »

gilgamesh

• Half Acre
Re:Anyone know about keeping hens?
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2004, 10:15:14 »
Top tip 1 : NEVER forget to close the door of the coop as dusk starts falling. Foxes are mostly crepuscular - they will keep trying, and keep trying. You only need to forget ONCE.

Top tip 2 - The run should be secured to the ground, but not so securely that you can't move it. Don't leave your girls on the same bit of ground too long.

Top tip 3 : A dustbathing tray of sand (sharp silver sand for preference) is very highly appreciated, and reduces the birds tendency to dig dustbathing pits.

Top tip 4: Water - clean water - must be available at all time in daylight.

Top tip 5 : Hens have small crops, and need to feed throughout the day. Let them have the proper food (layers mash or layers pellets) available at all times except when it's dark. They will probably eat about 4oz each a day, and can have about 1oz corn (wheat, barley, oats, a little cut maize) as an afternoon treat, so that they retire to bed with a crop full of hard corn, which takes a long time to grind down & digest.
Sumer is a coming in....

frogger

• Not So New ...
  • Tra la la
Re:Anyone know about keeping hens?
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2004, 00:33:00 »
Brill, thanks for that - I am really  looking forward to meeting my chucks!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal