Author Topic: Fieldfares  (Read 1744 times)

Palustris

• Hectare
Fieldfares
« on: November 23, 2006, 20:54:05 »
On my walk today, a flock of these suddenly swooped across the lane, all round me. They must not have hear me coming, don't know who was more panicked, me or them, dozens of the flapping in front, behind and over the top of me.
Gardening is the great leveller.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
Re: Fieldfares
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2006, 22:40:14 »
I'm not an ornothologist... are they the same as redwings? we had a flock of them drop by to eat all the cotoneaster berries one year, it took them about twenty minutes!
 ;D

Carol

• Hectare
  • Scottish Borders, Berwickshire
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2006, 23:38:11 »
Saddad   :D :D  This is the bit that RSPB have about the 2 birds.  I couldnt cut and past the pics. of them.

Fieldfare
Turdus pilaris
Fieldfares are large, colourful thrushes, much like a mistle thrush in general size, shape and behaviour. They stand very upright and move forward with purposeful hops. They are very social birds, spending the winter in flocks of anything from a dozen or two to several hundred strong.

Redwing
Turdus iliacus
The redwing is most commonly encountered as a winter bird and is the UK’s smallest true thrush. Its creamy strip above the eye and orange-red flank patches mak it distinctive. They roam across the UK’s countryside, feeding in fields and hedgerows, rarely visiting gardens, except in the coldest weather when snow covers the fields. Only a few pairs nest in the UK.

Fieldfares are handsome birds and have seen them a few times but not in the numbers that Eric saw today.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2006, 06:48:22 »
I saw small numbers of both in local parks and playing fields last winter, so even if you live in a town it's worth keeping your eyes open.

Carol

• Hectare
  • Scottish Borders, Berwickshire
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2006, 13:36:37 »
Aw Eric, I just seen a huge flock of Fieldfare pass over.  Must have been about 40+ of them.  Wish they would land in my garden but they over shot to the field beside me.  They are such handsome birds so will look forward to the snow (did I say that)  thats when they come near me to get the apples.

;D ;D ;D

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal