Author Topic: encouraging frogs?  (Read 1613 times)

timelady

• Half Acre
    • Artwork of Tina Mammoser
encouraging frogs?
« on: November 22, 2006, 20:17:30 »
One thing I want to do on my allotment is encourage wildlife. Trying to make my bramble pile/wall into a cozy place for hedgehogs. Would like to encourage froggies too. While I probably can't handle a full-blown pond on my own a ceramicist friend of mine makes very large garden vessels (usually used as birdbaths) which are big around (up to 24" diameter) but shallow. I've asked if I can have cast offs (sometimes the glazes don't work, or the clay sinks, or whatever) and she said she'll have loads! So I'm wondering the best thing to do basically. I know nothing about frogs! I was thinking of getting 4 or 5 and putting them in a couple sets together. Will this idea even work? Are they best put near something in particular (ie. sheltering plants or in the open or grassy-like?) Anything I should add to help? They're very low and I was going to half-sink them so frogs could easily get in and out without additional help I think, but will happy put in some rocks or wood to make 'ramps' around them. That's the only thing I've read about.

Any tips, or links to good websites? Thanks!

Tina.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
Re: encouraging frogs?
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2006, 22:33:00 »
A small pondlet won't necessarily attract them, but there's no need as they will travel some distance to breed. They actually live in thick vegetation, so that's what you need to provide in order to have a year-round frog population.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2006, 22:34:01 »
For over wintering and Breeding it would need to be at least 30" deep so that it doesn't freeze solid..
 :)

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2006, 22:36:54 »
For overwintering, yes, if they're going to hibernate in it. But not for breeding; they go for extremely shallow water, and the tadpoles only need enough depth to live safely, with plenty of cover. They won't overwinter in it. There used to be a frog pond on the moors above where I lived in Cornwall, and I regularly found spawn in rain puddles less than an inch deep. The water wasn't more than a foot or so deep anywhere.

Trixiebelle

• Hectare
  • You looking at me? Huh?
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2006, 13:58:21 »
There was a really good link a few months ago to a 'wildlife tower' that enouraged all sorts of creepy crawly thingies  ;D

Can't remember which thread it was but I've saved a photo of it if you want me to send it you? Just PM me if you do  :)
The Devil Invented Dandelions!

Trixiebelle

• Hectare
  • You looking at me? Huh?
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2006, 14:09:01 »
The Devil Invented Dandelions!

timelady

• Half Acre
    • Artwork of Tina Mammoser
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2006, 19:39:15 »
Thanks Trixiebelle! Can't see the photo but the link to the Wildlife Trust in that thread has lots of good little info sheets. So I can start somewhere. :) The friend had 3 nice pots for me today and a cool old rusted metal stand of some sort, we're not sure what it was originally but one of the pots on top and it's a very nice birdbath that stuff can grow through in the bottom. The other 2 pots I'll probably put on the ground, not deep enough for the frogs from what you all say but I'll leave them and see what happens. I'll try to shelter them a bit too or plant stuff that will shelter them next year.

Oooh, the picture showed up at last! VERY cool! I'd have room for that if I could work out what's in the layers.

Tina.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2006, 19:44:13 by timelady »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal