Author Topic: Rasberry Vodka.  (Read 10207 times)

telboy

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
Rasberry Vodka.
« on: November 18, 2006, 21:24:24 »
I must try this - loads of berries in the freezer.
I understand the principle is based on sloe vodka, but would appreciate the sugar/fruit ratio per litre.
Ta.
Eskimo Nel was a great Inuit.

Old Central

• Half Acre
  • One day we'll build some walls.
Re: Rasberry Vodka.
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2006, 09:38:54 »
Telboy

I use a an alternative method where I soak the berries for 4-6 months (or longer) then strain the solution through muslin.

Then I make up a very strong suger syrup,  1.5lb of sugar to 5 fl oz of water  (it goes crystalline).

I add the sugar syrup to the raspberry and vodka until it tastes slightly sweet.

It comeds out a beautiful colouer and makes a great addition to desserts or even a variation in spakling wines.

OC

telboy

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2006, 11:33:37 »
Thanks OC,
What fruit/vodka ratio do you use?
Eskimo Nel was a great Inuit.

Old Central

• Half Acre
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2006, 08:54:41 »
Telboy

The quantites are not scientific I just fill a wide neck jar/bottle with the fruit and cover with vodka. The fruit tends to compact over the first few days. I give it a shake it for the first few days to make sure it all mixes and that the fruit is not doing an iceberg impersonation.

I usually end up with about double the quantity of liquid compared to amount of vodka used after I have added the sugar solution to the strained vodka/fruit mix.

It makes a great present, especially if you can find some attractive small bottles.

Good luck

OC

davee52uk

• Acre
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2007, 00:02:46 »
I made Damson Vodka last year. I just used an empty, clean large coke bottle and put in damsons, sugar and vodka. I used the absolute cheapest vodak that Tesco could sell me - about £9 for 750 ml. The result is great - sweet and fruity with a real kick to it.

I now have loads of loganberries with loeads still to come. I've made lbs of jam alreday and will have a go at loganberry vodka. Looking at various recipes, they seem to operate on twice as much fruit as sugar. I think I will use less sugar as last years was a little too sweet.

Also will try damsons again and probably plums as well.

BIG MISTAKE I made last year was to throw the fruit away when I bottled the completed vodka - this can be eaten by stewing up with a little sugar. It should taste great with cream.

tuinman

• Half Acre
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2007, 00:33:23 »
It just so happens I kept an old link for this;

http://www.danish-schnapps-recipes.com/blackberry.html

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2007, 18:33:48 »
Oh now this is so tempting!  But I still have sloe gin, sloe voddy, damson gin and several other home made drinkies......do I want another? ???

gwynleg

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2007, 19:12:40 »
Fantastic!! The blackberries are just ripening on my allotment and a great neighbour has given me loads of raspberries so all I need now is a v large bottle of vodka. I just love this site - I would never have thought of this but it sounds wonderful.
Thanks!

Old Central

• Half Acre
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2007, 21:12:31 »
Blackberries - yum!

I followed the recipe I posted above but used blackberries instead. Use really ripe ones and leave for as long as you dare.

A French friend loved it in champagne as it makes a beautiful pink colour (more subtle than blackcurrants) and has a better flavour than raspberries. He considered the "Creme de Mures" my best variant. I think I agreed by the end of the evening  ;)

OC

davee52uk

• Acre
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2007, 19:46:04 »
The Damosn vodka went down very well at the Allotments Open Day. Now running Rasberry and more Damson vodka. May try sloe gin later.

gerbera

• Half Acre
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2007, 19:59:11 »
Ooooops....hic....my Raspberry Vodka didn't make it past the six week stage (I thought it was weeks, not months!). But it was very nice. Hic. Very, very nice..hic...and I blended the voddy-soaked raspberries with peaches and a little orange juice to make a very lovely.....hic....alcohol-hic...."healthy" smoothie!

Note to self.....must try harder next year!

Lauren S

• Hectare
  • Delightful Devon
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2007, 23:26:51 »
These combos sound more delicious that my mundance wine spritzers  ;D
:) Net It Or You Won't Get It  :)

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2007, 23:36:07 »
rasberry vodka, cranberry juice and seabuckthorn juice with a couple of ice cubes crushed is heaven.

calendula

• Hectare
  • learn to love your weeds (saddleworth)
    • homeopathy
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2007, 19:06:48 »
 :o sounds more like AA4All

I've said this before but making sorbet from these ingredients is just as wonderful - plum and vodka sorbet, gin and tonic sorbet, pear and pear liqueur sorbet, orange and campari, etc

all delicious and easy  ;D

gwynleg

• Hectare
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2007, 21:29:46 »
I missed that idea - do you mix the vodka with sugar syrup and freeze or is this just the vodka and fruit? How do you do the pear sorbet (have lots of pears that arent keeping well)
thanks

calendula

• Hectare
  • learn to love your weeds (saddleworth)
    • homeopathy
« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2007, 08:59:28 »
Pear Sorbet with Liqueur

1 1/2 lb pears
2 pints water
1 lb sugar
juice 1/2 lemon
1 egg white
2 fl. oz. pear liqueur

In a heavy pan bring the sugar and water to the boil to make a syrup

Poach the pears in the syrup until tender. Set aside to cool. Drain the pears, then quarter Mand core. Liquidise in a food processor adding 1/2 pint of the poaching syrup, the lemon juice and egg white. Add the liqueur near the end. Place in an ice cream machine or deep freeze taking out from time to time to stir. Worth serving with an extra glug of liqueur.

Plum and Vodka Sorbet

1 lb plums
8 oz sugar
1/2 pint w ater
5 fl. oz white wine
3 measures of vodka (already flavoured maybe)
juice 1/2 lemon

Mix the water, white wine, sugar and lemon juice and brig to the boil.

prepare the plums by removing the stones, blend in a liquidiser until smooth, pass through a sieve. Add the vodka and deep freeze, bringing out from time to time to stir.

You need to keep stirring sorbets to stop them getting too iced up with crystals

davee52uk

• Acre
« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2007, 22:38:17 »
My damson and loganberry vodkas are ready - but I've got no bottles. Any suggestions what to use?

longlad

• Half Acre
« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2007, 02:46:37 »
i got mine from the local hotel , will all they do is recycle them

it helps that i work there but you can but ask ;D

how long do you let the sloes soak? :-[
oh bugger its raining

davee52uk

• Acre
« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2007, 23:15:10 »
Bottled and drank some of my loganberry vodka today - very strong!! I used a lot less sugar than last year so the fruit taste was stronger.

I have left this for about 3-4 months.

longlad

• Half Acre
« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2007, 23:26:36 »
cheers    so thats four months then pass the fruit off?   :D
oh bugger its raining

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal