Author Topic: Rasberry Vodka.  (Read 10205 times)

davee52uk

• Acre
Re: Rasberry Vodka.
« Reply #20 on: November 07, 2007, 19:50:18 »
Don't make the mistake I made last year and throw the fruit away. You can keep and eat the fruit. I have just had logannberries soaked in vodka with my tea - great with cream. If you freeze the fruit it comes out as a sort of wierd, alcoholic ice cream/sorbet - brilliant.

gwynleg

• Hectare
« Reply #21 on: November 07, 2007, 22:50:36 »
I've had my raspberries and blackberries soaking in vodka and tasted it. Havent used sugar water yet but dont really like the taste much. Would it be good with a mixer? (Its meant to be for xmas presents but I want it to taste good for me too!

Old Central

• Half Acre
  • One day we'll build some walls.
« Reply #22 on: November 08, 2007, 18:29:26 »
Gwynleg

Yes the taste of neat spirits and fruit is harsh, not, of course, that I have ever tried it! Once it is strained and the sugar solution added a transformation takes place; the taste of the fruit comes through.

I get as much of the fruit into the drink as possible and bin the pips. I then transfer from a larger bottle to smaller once the sediment has settled.

Christmas morning with some blackberry vodka added to your cava, champers, or whatever and you'll reap the rewards.

OC

davee52uk

• Acre
« Reply #23 on: November 08, 2007, 19:17:24 »
I think I put too much sugar in last year. I put the sugar, vodaks and fruit in a large bottle at the start. Although the result was very nice it did remind me of cough medicine.

This year I went through the same process but put in too little sugar. I now have the task of adding some sugar and tasting the result until the amount seems right. I think I'll have to do this on a day when I don't have to go to work in the morning!!

Anyway, I agree that the combination of alcohol, sugar and fruit does make a great drink.

gwynleg

• Hectare
« Reply #24 on: December 12, 2007, 18:56:43 »
Right - have finally added sugar water to the raspberry vodka - its fantastic! everyone I know will have some of the raspberry or the blackberry (still to be done) for Christmas presents but I will make sure that I have plenty for me for the next year too. Thanks so much for the idea all you peeps - I am so chuffed with this!

Just Vegging Out

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #25 on: December 18, 2007, 21:22:49 »
Hello - in Poland they do the same with cherry vodka - if you want cheap vodka try Netto or Lidl - sometimes its only about £7 a bottle

debjay

• Half Acre
« Reply #26 on: January 10, 2008, 16:20:11 »
Hi
I have got a mixed fruit vodka on the go at the moment ::)
Strawberry
raspberry
blueberry
blackberry
and blackcurrant
Dont know what it will taste like but i will let you know asap ;D
Debs

gwynleg

• Hectare
« Reply #27 on: January 10, 2008, 22:19:11 »
I'm sure it'll be fantastic. My raspberry vodka Christmas presents (to everyone!) went down really well. My god-daughter (aged 23) and her sister (19) reckon its the best present I have ever given them - not sure whether to be offended or pleased. Anyway I am telling noone how to make these things so I can keep doing it for years to come!

barkingdog

• Acre
  • Norfolk
« Reply #28 on: January 21, 2008, 07:12:56 »
I've made blackberry schnapps (from the danish schnapps site) and it's really lovely - just like port  ;D

I've also made, plum vodka, sloe gin and crab apple schnapps!

barkingdog

davee52uk

• Acre
« Reply #29 on: January 23, 2008, 21:08:02 »
Having tried both Loganberry and Damson vodka, both made the same way this year, the Damson wins hands down. It's because the damons have a kind of almond taste from their kernels - left in whilst soaking.

Eating the soaked fruit was better with the Damsons. Next year I will freeze this fruit mixture and only eat a liile bit at a time!

Old Central

• Half Acre
  • One day we'll build some walls.
« Reply #30 on: January 26, 2008, 09:19:10 »
Interesting that your loganberry didn't do so well. My only disaster was red currants where I got a pink sweet vodka :-\

We have a loganberry and a tayberry in the garden, If I am right and the loganberry is thornless and the tayberry is the thorny one then the fruit tastes a lot better on the tayberry. Perhaps this is the reason?

OC

greyhound

• Hectare
  • The Kingdom of Wessex
« Reply #31 on: March 25, 2008, 18:22:34 »
We have started on last summer's raspberry gin.  Oh my word!  I think we'll be finishing it soon ..... it is too wonderful.   :-*

greenstar

• Half Acre
  • Glasgow
« Reply #32 on: April 16, 2008, 20:38:27 »
Has anyone tried the lemon balm vodka on the Danish Schnapps site?  It's just starting to poke it's head up now - it might not last long!

davee52uk

• Acre
« Reply #33 on: April 17, 2008, 19:14:00 »
Almost a year since I made them. The damson vodka is great. There is a sort of almond taste that comes from the kernels in the fruit.

The loganberry vodka is more like cough medicine. I think I will make wine with this fruit instaed this year or put some herbs like cinnamon or cloves in with the fruit.

lolabelle

• Hectare
  • nero
« Reply #34 on: April 22, 2008, 19:07:35 »
have you tried red currant gin, made in the same way as sloe but keep in dark bottle to keep delicate colour

The other hit in our house is damson brandy nice to drink but good to add to sauces accompaning game dishes  ;)

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal