Author Topic: Speckledy Pullets...  (Read 3124 times)

growmore

• Hectare
  • Practice Beats Theory. Don Valley South Yorks
Speckledy Pullets...
« on: November 08, 2006, 13:43:08 »
Does anyone else have these...I bought em point of lay..When I got them  was told they were 18 weeks to me they looked  about 16 weeks old.  They will  be coming on  to 23-24 weeks old now.. I know short days etc will hold em back a bit, but I am expecting first egg soon ..Anyone else any thoughts on this  Cheers ..Jim

cheers ..Jim
Cheers .. Jim

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
Re: Speckledy Pullets...
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2006, 13:55:12 »
I wish we had room at home for hens, I'd love some, the allotment site's not safe and we've got no grass at home  :)

teresa

• Hectare
  • Happy gardening
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2006, 16:40:19 »
Lovely photos I love the pullet and brussel plant clasic the heading should read " Which leaf to eat next" ha ha
Combs dont look red enough to lay but thats me, just keep an eye where they wonder around pullets will drop the first eggs anywhere. Mine have scratched the straw out of nest boxes so have reverted to woodshavings for the older hens to lay on something.
 Pullets lay  anywhere in the run or floor of hen house one day I will put my foot on one. Takes them a while to understand where to do them. hee hee.
Who needs grass they distroy grass but a brussel plant or cabbage far tastier.
Beautiful birds Jim hope you get a egg soon.

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2006, 16:48:13 »
marans lay one of the brownest eggs you can get. I know shell colour does not affect the taste, but they don't half look nice.

slyfox-mal

• Acre
    • my diary
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2006, 18:42:15 »
my marans are coming up to 8 month now and still no eggs but you'r speckledy hens  may come on a little quicker been a R.I.R cross maran they tend to lay a little quicker and  more eggs regards mal
The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are,
the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae.

Marymary

• Hectare
  • Norwich
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2006, 20:19:20 »
beautiful looking girls, I agree that I would expect their combs to be redder as they come into lay. 

Heldi

• Hectare
  • Run away! Run away !
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2006, 10:45:03 »
The lady who I got alot of my hens from showed me how to tell if a hen was ready to lay.
You pick the bird up and if you can place three fingers inbetween the legs (maybe two if you've got big fingers..oh god I can just imagine what ACE is going to say LOL..gotta be quote of the year eh?!)...anyway ...lay three fingers inbetween the legs across the egg pipe area. If you can get three in there...the chook is mature enough to lay...if not then she isn't developed enough yet.

That is how all my girls were selected..the three fingered approach. They did come into lay really soon.  Thought I'd tell you just out of interest.  ;D

OliveOil

• Hectare
  • Lincs
    • Phoenix Traders Forum
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2006, 22:16:13 »
Not sure what age the photos are but they look much younger than even 20 weeks to me!

My speckledy is giving me about 5 eggs a week now rather than 6 or 7 - definitely dropped off slightly. But lovely birds - am hoping to get some more.

There is a way of checking if they are ready to lay....

hold the bird head facing beind you and tail facing front.  Feel the 3 pelvic bones - if you can fit 3 or more fingers between the bones then they will be coming up to lay... if you can only fit 1 or 2 fingers between the bones then they arent going to lay yet.  Also the wattles and combs get really red.

Hope that helps!

OliveOil

• Hectare
  • Lincs
    • Phoenix Traders Forum
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2006, 22:20:44 »

My Speckledy at 20 weeks

teresa

• Hectare
  • Happy gardening
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2006, 01:40:05 »
OO,
Lovely photo of the hen, who's the spider man, is it your head chicken keeper hee hee what a lovely smile.

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2006, 08:25:08 »
 R.I.R cross maran

DOH   It's been years since I was lucky enough to run a few hens. Must be a bit out of touch. Black rocks were always my choice.

OliveOil

• Hectare
  • Lincs
    • Phoenix Traders Forum
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2006, 09:03:37 »
Thats my boy and his chicken Freckles...

ACE - we also have a Black Rock and a Bluebelle - i will def have more Black Rocks and Speckledy's next year. Great egg layers and big eggs. Also they never get sick, good strong birds!

Marymary

• Hectare
  • Norwich
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2006, 15:03:34 »
Thats one cute kid & one bootiful chook.  Lucky you.

bombus

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2006, 08:25:52 »
I'm with Ace and Olive oil, Black Rocks rule OK---- their also cracking good layers ;)

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal