Author Topic: First Aid kit for poultry  (Read 3336 times)

teresa

• Hectare
  • Happy gardening
First Aid kit for poultry
« on: November 05, 2006, 00:31:37 »

loz

• Half Acre
  • See my stuff on www.arthursplacecattery.co.uk
    • Arthur's Place Cattery
Re: First Aid kit for poultry
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2006, 14:18:57 »
Nice one!

The old pile cream is a good one!  I have used it on the birds before.

Personally I could'nt be without cotton buds, gentian violet spray, aloe eye cleaner, vaseline,  and a good flea spray!

Loz ;)
Horses, ragdolls, bracco italiano, Polands,Silkies, and a garden - when do I have time to eat? - www.arthursplacecattery.co.uk

teresa

• Hectare
  • Happy gardening
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2006, 16:46:14 »
My syringe is usefull, young co*krell got something stuck in his throte making a real nasty noise. No coldliver oil in house so used vegetble oil.
One syringe of that followed by one of water and another vegatable oil.
It was kill or cure but by morning he was crowing and running around like nothing had happened.
Ment to be a blackbearded silki but more like a white one very strange but hes beaufiful so funny.

Marymary

• Hectare
  • Norwich
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2006, 20:21:25 »
With the symptoms you describe you also need to consider gape worm though I have had chickens with weird breathing noises who fully recovered without treatment.

teresa

• Hectare
  • Happy gardening
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2006, 22:56:33 »
Oh Marymary,
Hes a troublesome teanager feeling his feet, he shows off to the girls but dose his bit like feeding time he will call them over and picks up a pellet and drop it in frount of each hen, then he digs and calls them to see what he has found. The older co*krell in the run ignores little one, he tries to impress the girls so much hes fell into the water dish and food dish not looking where he was going and was just learning to crow that garbled noise they start with.
Well the morning after treatment he came out of house looked at me streched his neck and crowed beautiful I stood in amasement ( thought he would be dead) so because he had an audence me he shock his head and streched his neck and did it again. Realy showing off then turned his attention to the girls. Him and his two sisters were hatched by myself and yes spoilt.

Marymary

• Hectare
  • Norwich
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2006, 17:37:56 »
They do all have amazing personalities don't they?  I can't have roosters cos we live in a built up area.  We hatched the first 6 chicks at school & I brought them home & 5 of them turned out to be cockerels so I had to rehome them - we kept Sally the only female - it's her picture next to my posts.  She is an amazing character who comes & taps on the patio doors to be let in & has come & sat on my lap in the sunshine. She's getting rather old now but seems healthy enough.  The rest are an odd assortment who have been rescued from various places.  One is sick now & I shall take her to the vets at the weekend if she lasts that long.

teresa

• Hectare
  • Happy gardening
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2006, 00:48:36 »
Oh MM,
Treat them like children and they act like children haha.
What is the problem with yours. I have on in the greenhouse ( sick bay) going through moult but others picking on her yet again bottom of pecking order but not getting any food so tlc for  a while. Its working and she likes it.

Marymary

• Hectare
  • Norwich
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2006, 20:39:49 »
Teresa, I think she probably has chronic respiratory disease which isn't supposed to be fatal - usually - but she's got it a bit worse than usual.  She is a lovely big Rhode Island Red about 4 years old now who lays big brown eggs [sometimes ::)] but she's sounded bubbly for about 2 of those years, she has had courses of antibiotics & gets a bit better but it always comes back.  she is supposed to be top chicken but she is letting all the little bantams boss her around & beat her to the food.  Good news though, one of my hybrids has started laying again - enormous brown eggs, had 3 in 4 days.

OliveOil

• Hectare
  • Lincs
    • Phoenix Traders Forum
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2006, 22:40:35 »
This noise you are talking about... is it like a kid sucking through a straw of an almost empty glass???

IF so my hen was liek this earlier this year - in the end i tipped her upside down and forced her mouth wide open - alot of mucussy fluid came out... did it ever day for 3 days and shes not had it since... it was like her pipes were full of fluid!

teresa

• Hectare
  • Happy gardening
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2006, 00:36:30 »
Oh OO sound like human bronchitus?
Reading so much lately, garlic is used similar to antibiotics it help the imunne system to strenthen it for fighting infections? seems garlic and onion are in poultry spice as well as pepper etc.
I have one in sick bay one of my oldest and in moult the co*krell decided he wanted to mate so keeps her away from food and water poor girl tail down not a good sign.
So into the greenhouse she went in the cage food water etc 24hrs later tail up and talking to me. So putting her onto growers pellets in the morning and cat food with porrage oats in afternoon to boost the protine leavels up see how she goes in a week of treatment.

Marymary

• Hectare
  • Norwich
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2006, 15:21:34 »
Sounds like good intensive care.  Let me know how she gets on. I think I might try mine with garlic.  Any idea how you give it to them - whole cloves or crushed or what?  Does it flavour the eggs? 

teresa

• Hectare
  • Happy gardening
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2006, 16:13:52 »
you can crush it or fine chop it and add to say soked bread I have finely chopped onions up for them they loved it and did not notice any difference in the taste of the eggs.
 Think the birds body asorbs the garlic so you may taste it  if you eat the chicken.
 Organic chicken would take on a new meaning in supermarkets if advertised with added garlic?

Marymary

• Hectare
  • Norwich
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2006, 18:30:03 »
Thanks, Teresa, I shall give them some tomorrow.  No we don't eat them, horror of horrors eating Sally, nor do we eat their friends & relatives though I think they would taste yummy with garlic, maybe feed them sage & onion as well.  :)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal