Author Topic: capillary watering  (Read 2082 times)

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
capillary watering
« on: April 16, 2004, 17:54:46 »
I'm sure I've touched on this before, but it may be timely to mention it again?

The thing that amazes me is the evaporation/transpiration/absorption - whatever - rate of a heated capillary bench. With a root temp of 58F, I have to fill those 2 tanks - each a gallon - up to twice a day.

Yes - V small plants, but if I bring them on any sooner, they suffer in the cold 'house. Last year, they were planted out at this time and several were frosted. OK - stupidly, I didn't fleece them. But the in-house night temp did not go above 39F until the last week in May. And, especially, aubs & peppers/chillies don't much like that. This is why (with Cleo & others) I keep hammering the point about PATIENCE!

Once again, too big a pic, but I'll learn??  Sorry! = Tim

« Last Edit: April 16, 2004, 18:07:59 by tim »

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
Re:capillary watering
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2004, 20:04:59 »
Nice one, Tim.
I'm working on a 'drip' system fed from a water butt for the lottie to cover days I'm absent. I'll do it eventually, but has someone devised such a workable system?

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
Re:capillary watering
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2004, 07:53:43 »
We used to use inverted demi-johns - but that woudn't see you through for long.
Ideally, a mini cistern. Access Irrigation do one over here. But you don't have mains water?
So, either the butt has to be raised or you need a pump. But no mains power? So solar, as discussed elsewhere yesterday? And that would be pinched? = Tim

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal