Author Topic: Carrots  (Read 4834 times)

Lady of the Land

• Half Acre
Carrots
« on: November 06, 2006, 19:45:19 »
Can anyone tell me what carrots can be sown now, presumably under fleece that will then be ready early next season - is it early nantes ?

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
Re: Carrots
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2006, 20:53:43 »
any of the very fast forcing carrots like early Nantes would do fine, presumably you will fleece them or have them in a frame...?

daisymay

• Hectare
  • Bedfordshire
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2006, 09:34:38 »
I was going to try some in the soil in the greenhouse over winter - early nantes??? is it not worth a go?

Rosyred

• Hectare
  • West London
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2006, 13:40:48 »
I brought a variety for autumn sowing called Nantes Frubund from T&M. Sow until mid- or even late autumn in mild spells. Winter sowings for a really early crop can be made in a coldframe or greenhouse. Harvest Spring onwards.

I've done some at home in a pot in my plastic greenhouse and three rows at the allotment under a clothe. Wasn't very successful with carrots so thought I would give these a swirl.

Common_Clay

• Acre
  • Loved
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2006, 14:40:09 »
I tried Autumn King late last year (October or thereabouts) and harvested in January this year. I didn't use a cloche, cold frame, fleece, etc. Just out in the elements, still got a crop though. Good luck.

plot51A

• Hectare
  • Norfolk - we do diff'rent!
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2006, 17:42:36 »
I also got some Nantes Frubund and put them in last week, compost drill, covered them with enviromesh. Well, it was very mild then, unlike now. Nothing to lose except the price of the packet, I thought it was worth a go and will report back. Am encouraged no end by you Common Clay  ;D

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2006, 23:12:28 »
I tried Autumn King late last year (October or thereabouts) and harvested in January this year. I didn't use a cloche, cold frame, fleece, etc. Just out in the elements, still got a crop though. Good luck.

thanks for the voice of experience cc, like p'winkle says, nothing to lose, I'm going for it too! ;D

Barnowl

• Hectare
  • getting back to my roots [SW London]
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2006, 10:44:16 »
Our carrots were pretty sad earlier in the year. I think either I didn't dig the bed deeply enough (in some spots we have a compacted layer only about a spit down) or they didn't get enough water.

So I'll have a go as well if my Early Nantes seed arrives by the w.e.

If at 1st you don't succeed plant & plant again...

plot51A

• Hectare
  • Norfolk - we do diff'rent!
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2006, 11:07:59 »
I couldn't seem to grow carrots at all until this season - then tried planting them in compost drills (as recommended on this site, of course) and covering - I prefer enviromesh to fleece. Have now enjoyed 6 months supply of carrots, absolutely lovely. My only disappointment is the ones destined for winter storage - when I went to lift them they had all been eaten away, with the tops left and looking as if all was still well  ??? They were the only ones I uncovered, thinking the carrot fly season was over - so the slugs got them instead. Gardening is WAR  >:(

Lady of the Land

• Half Acre
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2006, 21:35:59 »
Thanks for the replies.

I am in the south East of England and I would sow under fleece. I think it is worth a try. I believe I have some early nantes that came with The kitchen Garden magazine
I thought I would just try sowing a few to tide me over from when the ones I have in now finish and next years are ready.

Next year I was going to sow carrots in a raised bed - The wood is in the garage, ready to make when there is a rainy day and I cannot get to allotment or out in the garden. At the moment I have leeks in where the raised bed is going, so are aiming to use these over the winter, prepare the soil when they are all up ready to put in raised bed and sow next years carrots.

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2006, 21:38:52 »
we now have three raised beds, two we grow carrots in, covered by fleece, the other we were given this year so will try to grow parsnips next year, the beds about 12" high, we'll have to see if it works try anything once  :)

Rosyred

• Hectare
  • West London
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2006, 21:46:07 »
What advantage do you see for carrots having a raised bed?

manicscousers

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2006, 21:56:01 »
we can fill the bed with what we want, very well rotted horse muck in our case, the beds about 18", we put hoops over to cover with fleece, this keeps it fly free, I don't know if you've seen our other threads but our allotment was a swamp last year , it was an unused piece of land so every bed is raised, the carrot beds are raised more than most, we got some 9" carrots this year
I suppose I'm just trying to say they're protected. by the way, the carrot beds are only 2' wide

Rosyred

• Hectare
  • West London
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2006, 22:06:54 »
So your carrots liked manure?  :o I thought roots didn't like it. 

manicscousers

• Hectare
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2006, 22:10:39 »
this stuff's 15 years old,we get it from the local stables, it's like gold dust :D

kitten

• Hectare
  • Lincolnshire
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2006, 22:16:42 »
Hi there, we watched an allotment programme earlier in the year (was it called The Big Dig? Sunday am's?) i'm sure i remember them saying that growing carrots in a barrel or raised container of some type kept the flies away cos they don't fly over 30cm above the ground - does that sound familiar to anyone else? I could have dreamed it of course lol!
Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2006, 23:10:14 »
An active carrot fly might make 15" but 18 is almost unheard of. I have an old frame, that had a double glazed window unit on it. Now th window has finally given up I filled it from the compost bin and sow carrots... no fly! As my soil is heavy clay it is the only place I can be sure of growing carrots.
 ;D

Roy Bham UK

• Hectare
  • Let's press flesh
    • http://community.webshots.com/user/roybhamuk
« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2006, 22:34:49 »
Hi there, we watched an allotment programme earlier in the year (was it called The Big Dig? Sunday am's?) i'm sure i remember them saying that growing carrots in a barrel or raised container of some type kept the flies away cos they don't fly over 30cm above the ground - does that sound familiar to anyone else? I could have dreamed it of course lol!

Yes Kitten I saw that prog. some grew them in tall plastic barrels and one grew his in a bath with great success, I have had two seasons at growing them the first was great with net curtain surrounding them, the second this year, plentiful but lots of very small ones shamefully because I didn't have the time to thin them out :'( ;D

manicscousers

• Hectare
« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2006, 22:46:37 »
you pay a premium for baby carrots in the supermarket  :)

Roy Bham UK

• Hectare
  • Let's press flesh
    • http://community.webshots.com/user/roybhamuk
« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2006, 23:07:18 »
you pay a premium for baby carrots in the supermarket  :)

;D Right on ;D my grand kids love em so they won't go to waste ;D 8)

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal