Author Topic: Figs  (Read 2056 times)

roger

• Not So New ...
Figs
« on: January 19, 2006, 07:26:23 »
I have two figs in my allotment when and how should I prune them? ???

Ceratonia

• Acre
  • Cambridge
    • Personal (non-allotment) blog
Re: Figs
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2006, 09:53:11 »
You prune out any dead/frost damaged wood in March/April. You can also remove any older wood at this time, that you need to keep the basic framework in shape and stop it getting too crowded. You want to have lots of compact short shoots to encourage fruiting, so around May/June, pinch out growing shoots once they have a few leaves.

The other thing you need to do (in November) is remove the figs that didn't ripen the previous year. Figs produce two or three crops per year, but the only one that ripens is the one from the very small (pea-size) figs that grow in late summer and then over-winter. So in late autumn, you need to remove all the ones that are bigger than peas, as they won't ripen. You may need to protect these tiny figs in the winter (eg with straw), depending upon where you are. My fig is growing against a South facing wall of the house, so seems to do OK without any protection.

My experience is that you can still get a pretty decent crop without doing any of the above, but pinching out the shoots and removing the large figs in autumn certainly helps more fruit to ripen.

jennym

• Hectare
  • Essex/Suffolk border
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2006, 10:00:49 »
There is a lot of different advice on them, I have found, and agree with Ceratonia.
The fruit isn't truly fruit, but that is irrelevant, except that they don't actually need pollinating to produce this 'fruit'.
If you prune mid summer, careful of the sap which can irritate. prune only half the branches. This provokes growth, which should harden off enough to produce fruit early the next season. They fruit on last years wood. You don't need to prune every year, and best not to. Any 'fruits' present at the end of the season are unlikely to ripen outside, best to take off as soon as you see them, and concentrate on ones produced early in spring or late winter, but if you can protect these from early frosts in some way, you will have a better chance. Don't feed unless in a pot, and you won't get fruit unless pot ones are kept well watered. Outside, they are best in full sun, aganst a wall. People oftten mention restricting roots, this can be done simply - take a spade and dig a trench around them every couple of years, severing the fine roots you see. Fill it in afterwards. You don't need to lay slabs.
Best of luck!

Svea

• Hectare
  • ...getting the hang of things...
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2006, 10:01:18 »
hmm, homegrown figs in august and september :D

be sure you are quicker than the birds though - black birds particularly are partial to a bit of ripe fig
Gardening in SE17 since 2005 ;)

artichoke

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2006, 07:59:22 »
For the first time in about 40 years of growing figs outside in Kent and Sussex, a second crop has ripened. OK, only 3, but they are among the small figs that come along after the main crop (which was brilliant this year) and which usually drop off, or have to be taken off, over the winter. I noticed them going purple the other day and decided to give them a little more time before trying them.

I have just eaten them for breakfast, an explosion of sweetness and flavour, well into November.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2006, 16:42:45 »
Very impressive Artichoke.... I need to strip the small ones this weekend..
 ::)

angle shades

• Hectare
  • Lincoln,Lincolnshire
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2006, 20:18:13 »
:)

I'm like you artichoke,I have a second crop, only 2,also among the small figs you usually take off, this is in Lincoln/shades x
grow your own way

saddad

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2006, 17:24:58 »
Went out to strip our fig today and found three small ripe ones... letting them warm up a bit before I eat them though!
 8)

angle shades

• Hectare
  • Lincoln,Lincolnshire
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2006, 17:54:21 »
 ;)same here Saddad,getting it to room temp before i try it :P/shades x
grow your own way

jennym

• Hectare
  • Essex/Suffolk border
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2006, 22:37:21 »
Envious  ;D

artichoke

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2006, 17:43:23 »
Yes, I've found more recently - very hard but bright red inside. I left the others in a warm kitchen for a few days and I think they improved.

angle shades

• Hectare
  • Lincoln,Lincolnshire
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2006, 09:27:48 »
ate mine just now bloomin gorgeous, going out to look for more ;)/shades x
grow your own way

carloso

• Acre
  • sprouts gimmie wind
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2006, 15:19:04 »
is there any particular variety of fig tree to have ? maybe living in East Yorkshire one may do better than others

carl
another member of i forgot my password

saddad

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2006, 16:36:39 »
The most common is Brown Turkey which I have here in Derby, outside all year. There are some White Marsailles in Derby but a bit more tender. The new Bavarian one in the cats. is supposed to be even hardier....

luckystar

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2006, 20:11:52 »
 :-\ :) :D jumping in...is there a need to protect a new fig tree--not at all tree sized--during the (first) winter? Do I wrap it in fleece?

Thanks!

artichoke

• Hectare
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2006, 22:18:37 »
I live in East Sussex and have never protected mine, even when they were baby cuttings eight years ago. But if you're worried, fleece wouldn't hurt. Every winter, I have to admit, three or four  tips of the longer branches are frosted and die back a little.

saddad

• Hectare
« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2006, 07:52:35 »
When mine was still small enough to move (in a pot) I used to move it into a cold greenhouse. Never lost any branches yet! but expect to now it is outside all Winter if we ever get one!

jeanaustin

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2006, 08:06:22 »
I have a fig tree on my allotment plot - and would welcome advice on how to get it to set fruit.
I inherited it so don't know variety.   Its on a trunk about 5ft tall and then branches out - total height about 12 ft.  Every year it has lots of fruit but they always fall off in early June when green but fully formed (but the insides are almost hollow).
I like the tree as its attractive as a 'tree' and its popular with the wild bird population and I use it to hang bird feeders on but I'd also love to get some figs I could eat!

Barnowl

• Hectare
  • getting back to my roots [SW London]
« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2006, 10:32:19 »
You need to prune off any fruit that is currently on the tree that is larger than about a grape. Anything larger will probably rot when it grows next year. 

I think you next prune in June/July to shorten branches that haven't fruited but not totally confident about that given the present warm weather conditions.

saddad

• Hectare
« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2006, 15:16:47 »
If you can get at all the fruit that are still on the tree, difficult once so large, and remove them it starts the next set soonerso they will ripen in August. Around the Med they can get three crops a year... once the fruit are off it starts again... if you wait til the sap pushes them off next june you will be too late for the next set to mature...
 :'(

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal