Author Topic: Bluebells sprouting already  (Read 1692 times)

wahaj

• Hectare
  • prisoner
Bluebells sprouting already
« on: November 06, 2006, 19:23:03 »
Hey,

I just pulled out a conifer from the front garden. in the root ball there were a lot of little bluebells bulbs that have broken dormancy and have started to produce shoots that are about an inch long.

Is it normal for them to start doing that already? my muscari are doing the same thing.

laurieuk

• Hectare
  • now retired
    • laurie mansers  garden hints
Re: Bluebells sprouting already
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2006, 20:05:09 »
Don't worry ,many spring bulbs start growing underground in August and show above any time from Oct onwards. We have our first daffodils showing but the bulbs are perfectly hardy under ground and the tops may go a little yellow but soon green up. I was going to take a photo of the daffs today ,as many do worry about them being early but this is quite normal. If the bulbs were in pots remember they can get frozen through the sides and then they will die.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2006, 21:14:29 »
I love those signs of green when everything else is dying back.... Spring will come again... Ressurection and all that... find a field of germinating winter wheat so uplifting on my drive to work....
 ;D

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2006, 22:16:34 »
I found a little patch of crocus in the garden today that have just peeked through!

wahaj

• Hectare
  • prisoner
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2006, 16:41:39 »
kewl thanks people.

i hope my crocuses aren't popping up in the lawn. i was thinking of giving it a mow this weekend is the weather's nice. i want it to be nice and short for when the crocuses come up.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal