Author Topic: Has anyone here a tried-and-tested goosegog jam recipe please?  (Read 4066 times)

triffid

• Hectare
  • Escaped... usually to my plot in NW London :)
No, I've not gone mad; I know goosegogs are way out of season now!

I'm actually hoping someone here can help me out -- it's nearly time for the church Christmas fair and I've just heard that the two brilliant women who make most of the jams etc for the preserves stall are sinking under an avalanche of offers of (frozen) fruit, especially gooseberries.

I'd love to offer to help them, by taking some of these and making some batches... but before I do, would like to feel I had a tasty, foolproof recipe (these ladies all jealously guard their own, so I'd feel uncomfortable asking for theirs.)

xx for any ideas!

*rolls message into e-bottle and casts it out into the A4A ocean*

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
Re: Has anyone here a tried-and-tested goosegog jam recipe please?
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2006, 16:08:46 »
*washes up on sprouty shores*

Tasty and well foolproof ... and slightly different so's you don't steal the regulars' thunder?

From Alice Richardson's 'Cooking for Prizes' - 1960, 12/6d ;D

Gooseberry Jelly and Gooseberry Cheese

4 lb green gooseberries
2 pints water
1 lb granulated sugar to each pint of juice after straining

After simmering the fruit, the juice is strained through a jelly bag and added to the sugar. To strain, scald the jelly bag and hang it up where the bowl can be placed underneath. Pour the pulp into the jelly bag and allow it to soak through. Leave it to strain overnight if possible, and on no account be tempted to squeeze the bag. Boil sugar and liquid until setting point is reached, pot, top with waxed circle, cool, then cover.

Seive the pulp, weigh it and add an equal weight of sugar. Boil these together until you have a thick paste and this will make gooseberry cheese. It is better to do this than squeeze the jelly bag as the jelly will not be clear.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2006, 16:11:44 by supersprout »

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2006, 17:11:28 »
and as I'm sure you know it all comes out red...
OH makes Gooseberry Jam but there is little difference in the recipes..
 8)

jennym

• Hectare
  • Essex/Suffolk border
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2006, 18:20:35 »
Tried & tested:
Wash gooseberries, top & tail with sharp knife if required. Weigh them. Put in pan, and add just enough water to cover them. Bring to boil and then simmer for 15 mins. Check the skins are soft, if not, cook a little longer until they are. Add the same weight of white sugar as you had gooseberries. Bring to 104 deg C and boil at this for 10 mins, stirring very frequently.

Alternatively, a combination using apple and lime:
White Sugar - 2000g Gooseberry topped & tailed - 400g  Apple Bramley, peeled & de cored - 850g Zest and juice of 3 limes (approx 75g )
Prepared lime by scrubbing and using zester, remove the zest, then cut in half and squeeze juice out, discard pith pips etc. Rough chop Bramleys. Cook gooseberries & apple in enough water to cover until soft, leaves small lumps of apple.   
Add lime juice and zest, and sugar. Cook to 104 deg C, nice, clear pinkish red colour, can taste the lime ok.   
How I envy you having access to gooseberries!! mine have all gone, and I could use several times more than I grow. Hopefully the new bushes planted last year will give more fruit next year.

flowerlady

• Hectare
  • "Tug-o-Weeed!"
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2006, 18:45:48 »
Readiing jennym's  method reminded me that if you don't get the goosegogs cooked and soft before you add the sugar - you will end up with very dark jam!!

Like the sound of 'with apple and lime'  :D  ... roll on next year  ;D
To everything there is a season and a time to every purpose under heaven: a time to be born and time to die: a time to plant, and a time to pluck up what is planted.     Ecclesiastes, 3:1-2

triffid

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2006, 20:58:13 »
*scampering happily along A4A shoreline retrieving armsfuls of returned messages*

Surprised and delighted by speed and variety of all your suggestions -- thank you all so much!

I think I may go with SS's gooseberry jelly idea because it deals with the problem that the fruit is frozen and I don't know if was topped-and-tailed beforehand. Plus, Alice Smith was the name of my ma's ma, so maybe I'd have some kind of guardian angel hovering over my jam pan  :D  ...

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2006, 06:28:55 »
lol trif, just thought if you make the jelly you might be able to make fruit leather out of the goosegog pulp for triffid sprout lunchboxes - EJ knows how to do it :)

triffid

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2006, 15:07:03 »
EJ - HELP! ... wot's SS on about?  :o

This is either some arcane allotment art into which I need initiation (!) or SS has been trying out the new season's sloe vodka rather earlier than recommended!  ::) ;)

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!

valmarg

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2006, 19:31:32 »
As you say the ladies make the jams and preserves for the local fair, perhaps the following recipe may be of use:-

GOOSEBERRY CHUTNEY (4lb)

3lb gooseberries
8oz seedless raisins
8oz onions
1/2 ounce mustard seed
1/2 ounce mixed spice
1 tablespoon ground ginger
1oz salt
1 pint vinegar
12oz brown sugar

Prepare gooseberries and chop onion.  Put all the ingredients (except sugar) in pan and simmer 30 minutes, or until fruit is tender.  Add sugar, stirring until dissolved, simmer for 30 minutes, until chutney is thick and smooth. Pot into warm jars and cover.

I have made it years ago, and it is very nice.

valmarg

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal