Author Topic: Pumpkin Pie - the French way  (Read 1626 times)

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
Pumpkin Pie - the French way
« on: November 04, 2006, 17:08:49 »

We wanted a pumpkin pie, but don't like the American version.
The recipe is from the south of France, from Caroline Boisset's Reader's Digest Pumpkins & Squashes: Gardening, Crafts & Recipes (1997). If you've ever made a Pithiviers, you'll know how good this tastes :P
It's not too sweet, and soooo classy. And a doddle to make. We're hooked! Serve warm.

Ingredients

1 lb puff pastry (I used ready made :-[)
1 cup/250ml pumpkin puree (I used Buttercup squash)
1/2 cup/90g granulated sugar
1/4 cup/60g butter (unsalted) at room temp
1 1/4 cups/125g ground almonds
1 beaten egg, plus another for glazing
1 tbs lemon juice

Method

Preheat the oven to 230 degrees C

Divide the pastry into two portions, roll each out to a thickness of 1/4" (the thickness of an old penny). From each sheet cut a circle about 8"/20cm across. Place one circle on a dampened baking sheet. Roll the other circle out to about 9"/23cm (wrap and refrigerate scraps to make cheese straws)

Combine the pumpkin puree with about one-third of the sugar in a small bowl.

In another bowl, cream butter with remaining sugar until light and fluffy. Add ground almonds, egg and lemon juice. Combine thoroughly.

Spread the pumpkin on the smaller round of pastry, leaveing a border of about 1/2"/1.5cm.  Heap the almond mixture on top, making a dome in the centre.

Brush the pastry border with beaten egg and cover with the larger circle of pastry. Press down all the way round the edge with your thumb to seal, and glaze the top with beaten egg. Make 8 slashes in the lid, about 3" long, like the spokes of a wheel that neither meet in the centre nor meet the edge of the wheel.

Bake for about 25-30 minutes, until well risen, cooked and golden.

Allow to cool on a wire rack.

:)
« Last Edit: November 04, 2006, 17:24:52 by supersprout »

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
Re: Pumpkin Pie - the French way
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2006, 17:58:39 »
Caro will like that. She just burnt all her snacky squash seeds (a la Oliver).

She just roasted a Harlequin & then asked what to have with it.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2006, 08:32:33 by tim »

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2006, 18:00:53 »
good oh tim, hope she enjoys the finished prod - one Buttercup or one of the Harlequins in your pic will be approx 1 cup.
Don't forget the cream! ;D

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2006, 20:46:12 »
Gateau de Pithiviers......I had fogotten all about it.It was a favourite here too although my recipe calls for a roasted, minced pigs kidney, makes the filling 'interestingly granular', but I have never used one.  :o
Like the sound of you version SS. Ever since Squashfan sent the recipe for Squash Creme Caramel I've believed anything is possible. ;D
Smile, it confuses people.

trojanrabbit

• Half Acre
  • There are those who call me... Pete
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2006, 12:48:34 »
Oooh! Squash creme caramel!   :P :)

Tried searching, but can't find it in any posts.
Emagggie (or Squashfan) -  can you post a link please, or forward to me?

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2006, 14:46:22 »
Try as I might,TR, I can't find it here so I'll retype it.
For The Caramel:

3/4 cup(175g) granulated sugar
1/3 cup(80ml) water

Using a small heavy saucepan,melt sugar over low heat,stirring now and then.Increase the heat to medium and cook without stirring until it turns a lovely dark golden colour.Do not let it burn, you need to watch it carefully and maybe lower the flame.When it is dark golden in colour, take it off the flame and add the water. (stand back-it spits).It immediately turns into a solid blob-don't despair. Return pan to low heat and stir,stir,stir with a wooden spoon until it becomes liquid again. Then carefully pour caramel into 8 small custard dishes-tilt each one quickly to coat the sides a little.Put the custard dishes aside in a large baking pan.

1/3 cup(60g)
4 eggs
1 cup(225g) pumpkin puree
1.5 teaspoons cinnamon
2 teaspoons vanilla
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1.5 cups(360ml) milk

Preheat oven to 325f (about 165c). Using bowl and whisk, mix sugar and eggs until very smooth.Beat in the pumpkin puree, spices and milk.Mix until all is very smooth.Alternatively, you can just dump it all into your food processor and mix it that way.Pour the custard mixture into the custard dishes. Pour water into pan-enough to come halfway up the sides of the dishes. Bake for 45 to 50 mins or until just set and a knife inserted in the center comes out almost clean: just slightly wiggly in the center is ok. Cool on a rack, then refrigerate until serving time-at least 4 hours.(overnight is better). At serving time, run a butter knife around the edge of each custard cup, then unmould it onto a plate. Serve with whipped cream or fruit.
Smile, it confuses people.

trojanrabbit

• Half Acre
  • There are those who call me... Pete
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2006, 10:04:59 »
Thanks, that's fab - shall have to try both of these!  ;D

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal