Author Topic: Slow cooker  (Read 33908 times)

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
Re: Slow cooker
« Reply #20 on: November 07, 2006, 23:27:32 »
BW recalls very silly joke about being sent to the butchers for some oxtail,and please can you leave the head on.........boom boom! ::)
No slow cooker here but I use my tagine lots. (not quite the same but good for slow cooking.)
Smile, it confuses people.

katynewbie

• Hectare
  • Manchester
« Reply #21 on: November 08, 2006, 01:47:54 »
 :-[

OK, fell asleep after delicious oxtail! It was truly scrumptious!

;)

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #22 on: November 08, 2006, 07:34:51 »
 ;D
that's what it's for katy ;) ;D

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #23 on: November 08, 2006, 11:24:47 »
I really shouldn't read this thread when I'm hungry !!  :)

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
« Reply #24 on: November 08, 2006, 14:54:56 »
Pah, no oxtail recipes in slow cooking book, but it does have ostrich stew with sweet potatoes and chickpeas! :o  Mind you we likes a bit of ostrich when we can get our hands on it!
We don't inherit the earth, we only borrow it from our children.
Blog: http://www.nonsuchgardening.blogspot.com/

daisymay

• Hectare
  • Bedfordshire
« Reply #25 on: November 09, 2006, 13:29:07 »
Mmm yes, we bought a Tower Slo-Cooker years ago.  It's gathering dust in the garage.  Never quite managed to get on with it.

However, it did come with a recipe booklet.  For the above reason, we are unlikely to need it, so if you would like to PM me with your address I could post it to you.  There are a lot of recipes in in, covering Soups and Pates, Fish, Vegetables, Meat, Poultry and Game, Desserts and Puddings.  It might give you some ideas.

valmarg

thank you so much for this and your note - came today! going shopping tonight - beef borginogne on sunday I think!  ;D

Tulipa

• Hectare
« Reply #26 on: November 09, 2006, 15:13:07 »
Daisymay,  I have the Tower slow cooker recipe book, it is the tattiest of my recipe books by a long way as I use it so much, I have had one for 25 years now and still use it regularly at least once a week.

In fact I have two, the original small one and a larger one when my family grew!  I sometimes use both at once!  I must have made most of the recipes in there and can fully recommend them!  The stuffed pork chops are beautifully tender and I also cook just ordinary pork chops the same way.

Have fun! :)

T.

valmarg

• Hectare
« Reply #27 on: November 09, 2006, 19:07:02 »
Glad it arrived OK daisymay, and hope you get lots of ideas from it.

valmarg

cookie

• Half Acre
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #28 on: November 10, 2006, 13:21:18 »
Is i t possible to steam a christmas pud in a slow cooker when you have just made it? I used to use a pressure cooker, but its so old, I can't get the bits I need for it!

Tulipa

• Hectare
« Reply #29 on: November 10, 2006, 16:42:32 »
Cookie, yes certainly.  The recipe in the Tower book fills a 2pint pudding basin and cooks on high for approx 13 hours.

Hope that helps.

T.

cacran

• Hectare
« Reply #30 on: November 14, 2006, 18:05:22 »
Hi. Exactly how do you do the xmas pud in a slow cooker?? I will try that if it will work with one of those prepackaged ones you get from the supermarket. Can you do a joint of beef in the slow cooker? I understood that you had to have it 2/3rds full of liquid. Mine is a family sized one and I find it a bit too big.

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
« Reply #31 on: November 14, 2006, 20:38:39 »
Saw a Slow Cooker in Waitrose for £19. 99---so I bought it.It has very few recipies but I read somewhere that you can make bread in it. :o
Have sent for a book to get me started.I'm sure it will be a BOON in my kitchen ;D (then I can sell the bread maker that I never use ;D)

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #32 on: November 14, 2006, 22:33:31 »
Found my slow cooker, but it needs a new plug.  The old man is on the case....well...so far I have asked him 4 times.  If he doesn't do it, he won't be on braised venison pie for supper tomorrow!  I also have oxtails out of the freezer to do oxtail stew on Thursday.  I love these cheap cuts that like loooooooooooong cooking!  yumyum!  Will do him stuffed hearts on Friday I think.  FAB!

Carol

• Hectare
  • Scottish Borders, Berwickshire
« Reply #33 on: November 14, 2006, 23:34:48 »
Can someone advise me as to what size of Slow Cooker is best for 2 people.  We have been thinking of buying one for a few months now but not sure what size would suit us.  I was thinking of the smallest one but do you think its best to be bigger to be able to cook oxtails, rabbbits, hares and whatever in?     ;D ;D ;D 

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #34 on: November 15, 2006, 00:07:55 »
My mum always told me to get BIG cooking things - on the principle that you can cook small amounts in big pans. So I always veer towards big - leftovers (ha ha) can always be frozen ::)

jennym

• Hectare
  • Essex/Suffolk border
« Reply #35 on: November 15, 2006, 04:33:17 »
I agree with ss on getting a goodly sized one - you can make more than you need and freeze half for an even more "convenience" meal next time  :)

Chantenay

• Half Acre
« Reply #36 on: November 15, 2006, 06:20:25 »
I found this yesterday and the best thing was that you can pre-seal meat on the hob IN the casserole dish. That would solve the thing I dislike about slow cookers, which is pale looking food. BUT does anyone know if it really works???
RIVAL SCV7500K
Product code 236926
RIVAL SLOW COOKER
£39.99
Brand  RIVAL
Other features
Ideal for curry, soup, casseroles or pot roasts
225 power
4.7litres capacity
3 heat settings
Keep warm operation
ETC technology crock pot for multipurpose use
Black finish
Chantenay.

daisymay

• Hectare
  • Bedfordshire
« Reply #37 on: November 15, 2006, 09:50:13 »
I saw one in Lakeland at the weekend which is especially for 2 people.... but I would agree - get a bigger one. We got a huge one, think it is 4l +. It does us for 2 very generous meals and have only just half filled it so far. But we are thinking ahead for if/ when our family expands....

You can dry roast joints of meat in them, you do not have to use water. We had roast pork in ours  a few weeks ago. I would recommend cooking it the day before you need it though as it was very soft and kind of fell apart rather slicing. The left ivers the next day carved beautifully.

Chantenay - sounds good to me, not the same make as ours though - think it is morphy richards our one.

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
« Reply #38 on: November 17, 2006, 10:10:04 »
Book arrived today, 'New Recipes for your Slo Cooker' by Annette Yates.
Nice book, good info, covers a multitude of recipes-lemon curd,lovely puds and meat dishes and only £6.99 from PLAY.COM No postage to pay.
I also bought an ebook from ebay for 99p. Not bad, but  American recipes.

cacran

• Hectare
« Reply #39 on: November 19, 2006, 19:52:48 »
Hi, I am very surprised about cooking meat in the slow cooker with no water. I thought it would burn it out. Has anyone else successfully done meat this way??

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal