Author Topic: Slow cooker  (Read 33887 times)

daisymay

• Hectare
  • Bedfordshire
Slow cooker
« on: November 06, 2006, 16:34:37 »
Hi,

We got a slow cooker as a wedding present. Marvelous invention - everything we have tried so far - beef casserole, sausage casserole, roast pork has just been fantastic! Chuck it in on a Sunday morning, head out for the day and come back to Sunday dinner all cooked!  ;D

Has anyone else got one?

Got any good recipes for us to try next Sunday?.....

valmarg

• Hectare
Re: Slow cooker
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2006, 19:21:23 »
Mmm yes, we bought a Tower Slo-Cooker years ago.  It's gathering dust in the garage.  Never quite managed to get on with it.

However, it did come with a recipe booklet.  For the above reason, we are unlikely to need it, so if you would like to PM me with your address I could post it to you.  There are a lot of recipes in in, covering Soups and Pates, Fish, Vegetables, Meat, Poultry and Game, Desserts and Puddings.  It might give you some ideas.

valmarg

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2006, 19:39:28 »

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2006, 21:08:23 »
One of my all time favorite meals is braised steak, even the cheapest toughest meat does well in the slow cooker. We had our first one given to us. We had to buy a bigger one when the kids were about and it is still going strong and used at least once a week. Perfect tool for a busy cook.

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2006, 22:19:46 »
I have one but haven't used it since I stopped working full time.  Used to get it all prepped the night before, bung it in, turn it on before heading to work and come home to a lovely smell of dinner ready and waiting.  I made chillis and spag bols, chicken in white wine, braised steak and kidney, hotpots, roast chooks, curries....just about everything that could be cooked in one pot!  Maybe I will dust it off now I am a work-a-day woman.

daisymay

• Hectare
  • Bedfordshire
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2006, 09:29:59 »
maybe you shouold EJ, then you can tell me all the yummy inventions you come up with and I can try them too  ;D

Valmarg - have pm'd you - very sweet offer, thanks very much. Ours did come with a few recipes but not many.

Book is on the Christmas list too.....

froglets

• Hectare
  • "Chust sublime"
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2006, 10:02:46 »
I have my mum's old bright orange Pifco slo cooker & it gets regular use in the winter for chillies, currieas and anything else which involves bunging stuff in with a jar of sauce.

It's nice & small so practical for cooking for 2 + a freezer meal.  If it ever dies ( it must be from the late 70's)  I will have to invest in one of those small ones from Lakeland.

Sorry don't have any recipies, basically use it for anything you'd stew on the stove top.  Especially good for Chicken thighs ( browned off in a pan first & take off skins) as it slowly stews the marrow out into the sauce/gravy and you get a cheap tasty meal.

Speaking of marrow gravy, Oxtail in the pressure cooker - now that is a great winter meal.
is it in the sale?
(South Cheshire)

katynewbie

• Hectare
  • Manchester
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2006, 10:53:10 »
 ;D ;D ;D

I bought one recently, had a vision of tasty food waiting when I got home and it worked! I love it!

Froglets...you must be psychic! I just bought oxtail at the butchers having remembered that some cheffy person said it was wonderful! I have just googled recipes and Delia came up trumps again, but I can do it in the slow cooker too? Recipe please?

;)

froglets

• Hectare
  • "Chust sublime"
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2006, 11:25:31 »
Sorry, not tried it in the slo cooker - the big knuckles won't fit in my diddy Pifco.

When mum does it in the pressure cooker she put sit on the middle rack & does potatos in the bottom so they soak up all the juices.  Very tasty.

I would think to do it in a slo cooker any casserole recipe would do?  Cooking not my strong point.
is it in the sale?
(South Cheshire)

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2006, 11:40:30 »
no slow cooker here, but aroma of slow-simmered ox cheek is wafting around the flat this morning! winter casseroles, mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm :P :D

katynewbie

• Hectare
  • Manchester
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2006, 12:09:20 »
 ;D

Right, that's it...off to play with the Blessed St Delia's recipe!

;)

Rosyred

• Hectare
  • West London
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2006, 13:46:26 »
Ox Tail - do you have to scape the meat off the bones or aren't they hard bones and they so soft which you can eat?

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2006, 13:58:31 »
my mum used to stew the ox tail with spuds, onions, carrots etc for hours on end, the result was a fantastic stew, we all got a piece to eat the meat off with the stew, this has made me hungry again,  :D

katynewbie

• Hectare
  • Manchester
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2006, 14:24:10 »
 ;D

My kitchen smells gorgeous! According to Delia the meat just falls off the bone, will report back some time after 6!

;)

froglets

• Hectare
  • "Chust sublime"
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2006, 15:12:13 »
When oxtail has been stewed long enough, the meat falls off the bones, just like lamb shanks.

Now for me, lamb shanks beats all other dishes in this thread hands down.........
is it in the sale?
(South Cheshire)

jennym

• Hectare
  • Essex/Suffolk border
« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2006, 15:15:33 »
Slow cooker gets used here too - favourite is lambs hearts, simmered all day with root veg, and dumplings done in a pan on top with the gravy, at the end. Wouldn't be without it, had it at least 20 years. One advantage I find is that it doesn't make the kitchen hot in summer too.

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2006, 17:49:37 »
Right, that's it, you lot just take the biscuit!  Now I HAVE to get my slow cooker out!  I have a pack of oxtails in the freezer just longing for a long cook, and I have several hearts in there - not my thing but my darling loves them.

Just a thought as I never have, but could you do a pudding in there, like a milk pud for example?

Tulipa

• Hectare
« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2006, 20:38:59 »
Rice pudding cooks really well in the slow cooker....porridge is good too, done overnight, just right for an early start on the lottie... ;)

Tulipa

• Hectare
« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2006, 20:41:16 »
I also stick my christmas pudding in mine, early on christmas morning and it sits there until my lot are ready to eat it, usually long after the turkey.  It's really handy as you don't need to think about it nearer the time and no pan to remember to top up the water or steam up the kitchen.

T.

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2006, 22:18:04 »
My new fandangly cooker comes with a slow cooker, so OH has bought me a book of the month club thingy slow cooker recipes...................will have a check see if it has an oxtail recipe tomorrow......if I remember! :-\
We don't inherit the earth, we only borrow it from our children.
Blog: http://www.nonsuchgardening.blogspot.com/

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal