Author Topic: £350!!!!  (Read 1607 times)

wahaj

• Hectare
  • prisoner
£350!!!!
« on: November 02, 2006, 17:18:57 »
So i'm not getting anywhere with building a base for greenhouse....so i rung around some handy men....just so they can level the ground for me and either put the slabs back on with sand under them....or cement the slabs on.

Guess the voicemail he left me. his father and law can level the ground and put the slabs back on for £350. that's £350!!!!!

that's like complete madness! for £350 i'd want the base done, the greenhouse put on it, a new fan heater for it, a waterbutt fitted onto the side, my cherry tree trimmed and the hedge trimmed and a complementary blowjob.

i can't believe the cheek!

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
Re: £350!!!!
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2006, 17:21:30 »
was that your starting point for negotiating a better price wahaj? ::)

wahaj

• Hectare
  • prisoner
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2006, 17:22:46 »
was that your starting point for negotiating a better price wahaj? ::)

i'm not even ringing him back. That's just day light robbery.

wahaj

• Hectare
  • prisoner
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2006, 17:43:16 »
i'm thinking.....the F'ing greenhouse cost less than that!

i'm sorry...i'm still thinking about how someone could even fathom putting that price on that amount of work. He might aswell break into my house with a crowbar and take the family silver.

what rate is he working at? £50 an hour? i'd like to see his house! it's probably sitting on a few acres of land.

Barnowl

• Hectare
  • getting back to my roots [SW London]
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2006, 17:47:32 »
I'm like you. If someone tries it on that badly, I don't bother to negotiate because I wouldn't trust them to do the job even at a reduced price.

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2006, 17:50:30 »
Sometimes a superinflated price is given for what builders call 'small' jobs because they don't actually want the work/ can't be bothered. So they give an astronomical price in the hope you're either totally put off, so they don't have to bother, or mad, and accept the price, in which case they make a mint!! ;D
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

wahaj

• Hectare
  • prisoner
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2006, 17:55:06 »
Sometimes a superinflated price is given for what builders call 'small' jobs because they don't actually want the work/ can't be bothered. So they give an astronomical price in the hope you're either totally put off, so they don't have to bother, or mad, and accept the price, in which case they make a mint!! ;D

well i mean the guy rung back and he was really nice and polite and he said that he couldn't do anything till the new year.....but his father and law is a gardener....and is keen on things like and he's put a lof greenhouse up.

So i thought well that sounds lovely...and being a fellow gardener he'd understand that it's a pretty simple job (well, not for my simple mind). and then he leaves that messge on my phone for £350!

but yea i get what you mean. i certainly have been put off....and i'll be telling other people not to use them aswell!

Money_Bunny

• Half Acre
    • Blogging in Bulgaria
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2006, 18:07:16 »
So i'm not getting anywhere with building a base for greenhouse....so i rung around some handy men....just so they can level the ground for me and either put the slabs back on with sand under them....or cement the slabs on.

Guess the voicemail he left me. his father and law can level the ground and put the slabs back on for £350. that's £350!!!!!

that's like complete madness! for £350 i'd want the base done, the greenhouse put on it, a new fan heater for it, a waterbutt fitted onto the side, my cherry tree trimmed and the hedge trimmed and a complementary blowjob.

i can't believe the cheek!

Pmsl sorry but your post really made me laugh!!!

I do agree that it seems a lot of money, and being that I'm a right tightwad I'd ask around and see if any of your friends/neighbours knows someone who is looking to make some extra money towards xmas prezzies etc. There are plenty of students/people looking to make a little extra cash at this time of year.

British Ex-pat now living and gardening in Bulgaria.

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2006, 19:36:14 »
Well its about right for a days wages.

Merry Tiller

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2006, 19:37:04 »
Ha, wouldn't get out of bed for that

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2006, 19:47:37 »
try another tact, this time of year there is usualy handy men out there. Not professionals but perhaps another pair of hands to help you do it yourself.

wahaj

• Hectare
  • prisoner
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2006, 20:38:47 »
that's what i applied for camboure. i typed in handy man on yell!

god forbid what a professional will charge.

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2006, 20:50:01 »
random number generators not working but i dread to think :-)

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2006, 03:03:05 »
Ha, wouldn't get out of bed for that
;D ;D ;D

wahaj

• Hectare
  • prisoner
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2006, 07:57:01 »